160/70 17 Dunlop D208 Rear On A 1990?

Guest kirwin2

Guest kirwin2

I got a deal on a new Dunlop D205 170/60-17 rear for my 1990 VFR, or so I thought: I've gotten nearly 7000 miles out of the current D205, and was looking forward to another one. Well, the tire arrived....and it's a 160/70-17!!!!! Tire size dyslexia on the seller's part? I emailed the guy about it, Im just waiting on a reply from him about the faux pas.

In case I am screwed, and get stuck with this tire, has anyone actually used one? Most of my riding is highway commuting, very little backroad heroics. Im not so concerned with tire height, but moreso with the width, and using it on a 5.5 rim.

Any input is appreciated.. :beer:

Would probably be OK on a 5" rim, but a 5.5 might be a bit of a stretch.

I'd say get the right tire, no suprises in the handling dep't.

Oh, and a D205 must be pretty old stock, IIRC they were replaced by the D220s and now the RoadSmarts?

So your tire is three generations old, probably 5-8 years sitting on the shelf???

Thanks, I assumed it was a few seasons old (2005 if I'm reading the codes correctly), I'm hoping I can get the 'right' size tire - this sucks, as I originally planned to mount it tomorrow morning! Guess that'll be on hold until next week or later....

Some Dunlops are ok Seb! I had a great deal of fun on D207s (I ran a 160/70 once, but the 4th Gen has a 5" rim so it was safe and certainly made it handle better) and they are still the only tyre I could comfortably spin up and leave black lines with at any speed.

As for the D205, one of the quickest VFR riders I know used to whip litrebikes at Eastern Creek trackdays with D205s on his 4th Gen!

Archived