Bt021 Needs New Life

Guest RIDER_44

That was great info, thanks. I was able to find the same thing...you beat me to the punch. I am glad you posted it. This info is not just for me but others who have the same questions as well. I appreciate the photos, it gives more evidence that this is acceptable. Did not realize though, how many actually do the repair and ride. I would say from what I have read, it seems that approx half of the people out there repair and ride. Figures, I would get a 50/50 split, considering the topic. Once a plug is installed on the road, I guess the confidence in it's ability to be effective would then play a major role in your willingness to continue to ride and do it again. A portion of the Bridgestone Quote: "* Repairs of all tires (radial and non-radial) must be of the plug and inside patch type." I had asked the question earlier if it would be better to plug and patch? I quess if I take Bridgestones advice and others then, I am off and running. From the pic of the rensport with the "evidence that safety plugs stay"...I should then prep the interior surface of the tire, install the plug from the inside of the tire, cut excess plug, apply contact sealant and patch? Yet, in the photo it only shows a safety plug and it seems your confident with that? I guess I am just curious why you did not do both? Maybe you did but, I think your point was to show that a safety plug (when done properly) stays intact.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

• Member Contributer
From the pic of the rensport with the "evidence that safety plugs stay"...I should then prep the interior surface of the tire, install the plug from the inside of the tire, cut excess plug, apply contact sealant and patch? Yet, in the photo it only shows a safety plug and it seems your confident with that? I guess I am just curious why you did not do both? Maybe you did but, I think your point was to show that a safety plug (when done properly) stays intact.

You're welcome but my safety seal plug was installed from the outside in because by design you

want the loop of rope inside the carcass which will form a mushroom shape that will not jettison during

inflation...

I was so confident that I forgot all about the plug and hit the Reno Fernly track going 150...

You can see by the diagram that Safety Seal plugs that are installed properly establish an mushroom

shape inside the carcass that holds fast under pressure... you'd have more luck pushing the plug inside

carcass than you'll ever have it pop out under pressure...

gallery_3131_51_10376.jpg

How did you install the plug into the tire???

Don't know what to say... I'm quite sure mine was installed like the picture, but just didn't hold.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Who knows? After patching it from the inside, I had no more

trouble. I guess everyone just has to do whatever they're comfortable with.

From the pic of the rensport with the "evidence that safety plugs stay"...I should then prep the interior surface of the tire, install the plug from the inside of the tire, cut excess plug, apply contact sealant and patch? Yet, in the photo it only shows a safety plug and it seems your confident with that? I guess I am just curious why you did not do both? Maybe you did but, I think your point was to show that a safety plug (when done properly) stays intact.

You're welcome but my safety seal plug was installed from the outside in because by design you

want the loop of rope inside the carcass which will form a mushroom shape that will not jettison during

inflation...

I was so confident that I forgot all about the plug and hit the Reno Fernly track going 150...

You can see by the diagram that Safety Seal plugs that are installed properly establish an mushroom

shape inside the carcass that holds fast under pressure... you'd have more luck pushing the plug inside

carcass than you'll ever have it pop out under pressure...

Busy,

I'm confused, I've seen you post the saftey seals a number of times, but they looked like simple threaded goo worms

are you creating the loop or are they pre looped?

When I have done it, with success, I threaded the worm 1/2 way onto the tool, inserted the tool through the hole, twisted as told to do, then removed the tool, leaving the worm behind.

• Member Contributer
Don't know what to say... I'm quite sure mine was installed like the picture, but just didn't hold.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Who knows? After patching it from the inside, I had no more

trouble. I guess everyone just has to do whatever they're comfortable with.

I don't know of any properly installed safety seal that failed to hold... so maybe the only plausible

explanation is that it wasn't... who knows???

• Member Contributer

Busy,

I'm confused, I've seen you post the saftey seals a number of times, but they looked like simple threaded goo worms

are you creating the loop or are they pre looped?

They are simple threaded goo worms... you create the loop as you drive the thread into the carcass...

Archived