6.5 Gen Electrical Problems

billyjackjimbob

• Member Contributer

I have an 07 with about 30k on it now. For those who can remember the Bristol get together in 07, that is where my problems started. I blew my tail light first then a headlamp and was running "Gixxer" style until about half way home when I lost the second lamp. Replaced all the lamps and a few weeks later I was back to one lamp up front again. The pattern repeats it'self...

Here are my symptoms....

Tail Light running lamp: they blow almost as fast as you can put them in. I've gotten as little as 3 miles on one. The brake lamp works very well. Stock bulb and no problem, so at least I have a brake light out back. Also the plate lamp is stock and works well. Just the running tail lamp.

Head Light low beams: at 30k I've gone through five sets of head lamps. They hold out pretty well till one blows then the second's life is about a day max. But either way, I can't keep the low beams lit. The high beams, just fine. Stock lamps. Work fine. So, at least when the low beams crap out I do have light to get home.

Finally there is the weak start. From time to time, the bike is cranks very weakly and struggles to start. Then this weekend it did not start and I had to bump start it. I keep the battery on a tender and sometimes after a weak start it will crank strong only after five minutes of running. Some times it will crank strong and I'll ride for an hour and then get a weak crank.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

• Member Contributer
I have an 07 with about 30k on it now. For those who can remember the Bristol get together in 07, that is where my problems started. I blew my tail light first then a headlamp and was running "Gixxer" style until about half way home when I lost the second lamp. Replaced all the lamps and a few weeks later I was back to one lamp up front again. The pattern repeats it'self...

Here are my symptoms....

Tail Light running lamp: they blow almost as fast as you can put them in. I've gotten as little as 3 miles on one. The brake lamp works very well. Stock bulb and no problem, so at least I have a brake light out back. Also the plate lamp is stock and works well. Just the running tail lamp.

Head Light low beams: at 30k I've gone through five sets of head lamps. They hold out pretty well till one blows then the second's life is about a day max. But either way, I can't keep the low beams lit. The high beams, just fine. Stock lamps. Work fine. So, at least when the low beams crap out I do have light to get home.

Finally there is the weak start. From time to time, the bike is cranks very weakly and struggles to start. Then this weekend it did not start and I had to bump start it. I keep the battery on a tender and sometimes after a weak start it will crank strong only after five minutes of running. Some times it will crank strong and I'll ride for an hour and then get a weak crank.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Set it on fire and try again? :happy:

Sorry couldn't resist. It's a 6.xx gen, wish I could help...

Sounds like your charging system is working overtime... I would start by checking it for overcharging. And there is a good chance your battery could be bad also but I would check the cables and make sure they are tight and clean. There are many good how-to's on this website on checking your charging system with a good digital volt meter. Just run a search, you will find more info about it than you can read in an evening. More than likely it will be the regulator\rectifier but it could also be the stator, but make sure to check all the plastic connectors in between the charging system components for heat damage and melting. Good Luck!

Have you done a fender eliminator? It sounds like a common case of the license plate wire shorting out and taking out the other "Always on" bulbs. Be worth looking at. Also look at the Starter Relay and the 30 amp fuse near by for signs of overheating or corrosion.

Check for a short in the tail lamp wiring harness - about where the seat locks in at the rear of the seat to the frame. Peel the tape off and see what you have. Mine shorted out there. Hope that helps.

• Member Contributer

Possible weak battery and charging system is working hard to keep it charged, possibly sending to much voltage / current to other electronics.

Archived