Most Inovative, Least Expensive Gps & Mount?

Guest RC46er

Guest RC46er

Gentlemen, I'm looking for the best, most inexpensive GPS and mount for my 98 VFR. Bluetooth capability would be a plus; but then again, I always ride with earplugs... any and all ideas would really be appreciated :-)

I spent $50 on this setup, not counting the electrical hookup. Doesn't have bluetooth, but then it was $50 for everything....

All pictures here: http://wiremybike.com/Slideshows/TomTom/

Mount:

tomtomone_and_bags_014.jpg

GPS (TomTom One V3):

tomtomone_and_bags_002.jpg

Did I mention it was $50?

Since buying it, I have upgraded the internal memory to 4GB (from 1, not upgradeable) by soldering an SD card adapter in...not suggested mod. I have also changed the menus to allow Trip Itinerary planning, and many other "tweaks"

• Member Contributer

garmin streetpilot III with mount and many extras, is full color, old school unit, bigger but I like it ( about $100 used )

I have used mine on a few trips and was very nice for the low investment.

• Member Contributer

I just picked up a refurbished Garmin StreetPilot 2720 on eBay for $112.00 + shipping.

Pretty inexpensive for an awesome GPS.

Just couldn't bring myself to spend the big bucks on a Zumo...

If you want waterproof, blue tooth, XM capability, & MP3 player in there as well, look for a Garmin StreetPilot 2820.

The units are larger than a Zumo, but you get most, if not all, the features of a Zumo 550, but without the huge price tag.

Mount it on the viffer with a Garmin motorcycle mount & Ram Mount system and you're set!

Look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-282...%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-Motorcycle-Moun...%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-STREETPILOT-272...%3A1|240%3A1318

• Member Contributer

Since GPS is changing so rapidly I decided to get a cheap unit to "start out". I purchased a reconditioned Garmin Quest 2 on Ebay for about $150. It works perfectly and it was well worth the investment. I was able to use the unit immediately since it has a built in battery with about 6 to 10 hours of operation possible. I tucked it in the clear top section of my tank bag and went for a ride the same day it arrived.

Since then I added a hard wired cradle from Garmin and a RAM mount for the steering head and it's a dedicated unit with power on/off. I'll switch to the tank bolts soon for the RAM mount. The rubber insert for the steering head never got quite tight enough and I get some shake now and then.

The whole set up might have cost me $225.

I use a MAC laptop for computing and the maps and software is a little more complicated than the nuts and bolts, fuses and wires. Route planning and mapping will require a lot of work on my part before I can move back and forth between my computer and my GPS. It has been a success so far - a great travel tool!

Good Luck with your new GPS...

• Member Contributer

I have the Nuvi 750 and love it. Amazon has it for around $180 and the mount for your bike is less than $40. This unit allows you to load maps from your computer, which is the main reason I bought it.

• Member Contributer

I bought a Garmin 760 on ebay for 180 and it has bluetooth and all the garmin bells and whistles. I got the ram mount for it think i spent almost 40 with shipping.gallery_15942_4356_511803.jpg

VFR800 038.jpg

• Member Contributer
Since buying it, I have upgraded the internal memory to 4GB (from 1, not upgradeable) by soldering an SD card adapter in...not suggested mod. I have also changed the menus to allow Trip Itinerary planning, and many other "tweaks"

When I read the title to this thread your setup came to mind.

I've got the same unit and it's held up well. In fact, it got pretty wet in some rain showers this past weekend and still works.

Memory upgrade, eh?? Did you find that you needed the memory or was it just a test? I'd still like to solder in an earspeaker sometime so I can hear the turn prompts.

Thanks to all for the great ideas. I just have a few more questions. How sensitive are the non-waterproof models to moisture? I really like the looks and features of the Nuvi 760 but i'm concerned because I dont let the rain get in the way of my rideing. Is there a way around this? Would a plastic baggie do the trick, or is there a better way? That StreetPilot 2820 looks nice but a bit large. I have a Scott stearing damper located at the tank mount area and attached to the triple clamp, so that mounting location is out. Short of the suction cup to the tach method, the only other mounting location seams to be the clutch master cylinder bolts. Are there other areas and ways to mount the Nuvi? I use a tank bag regularly but would rather have the unit hard mounted and powered. TIA for any and all ideas!

• Member Contributer

Magellan Roadmate 2200T was only $109 on ebay (refurb). $30 ram mount and you're done.

Waterproof (IPX-4), touch screen, reasonably sized, and can survive bouncing on concrete at least twice. :huh:

You cannot do custom routes though. :huh:

• Member Contributer
Magellan Roadmate 2200T was only $109 on ebay (refurb). $30 ram mount and you're done.

Waterproof (IPX-4), touch screen, reasonably sized, and can survive bouncing on concrete at least twice. :huh:

You cannot do custom routes though. :huh:

Roadmate 2200T (refurb) is $69 free shipping at Buy.com, pretty cheap for a waterproof gps.

I've got the same unit and it's held up well. In fact, it got pretty wet in some rain showers this past weekend and still works.

Memory upgrade, eh?? Did you find that you needed the memory or was it just a test? I'd still like to solder in an earspeaker sometime so I can hear the turn prompts.

I had almost no good reason to upgrade the memory, other than to see if I could. I can. On the plus side, I could turn it into an MP3 player if I wanted too, or I could load every POI there is, or anything else that requires memory (lots and lots of routes).

I looked at adding a headphone jack, and it has been done, but I think the only way I would do it is by making a cable that comes out...just not much room in there. I may still do this, as the voice prompts WOULD be nice....especially since I have Darth Vader as my voice (I have tons of room...why not?)

I live in Florida; where it can be sunny one minute and a summer shower the next! A GPS would be fried....not worth the risk! I'd suggest the following as I considered the same:

- Nuvi 760 (refurb on gps city for $200ish) with Aquabox and Ram mounts $330

- Zumo (refurb) with only a one year warranty $550

- TomTom Rider 2 (blue tooth, Scala headset, h2o proof, and comes with ram mount) $390 with a 3 yr extended warranty

I ended up with the TT rider 2 and have been very pleased. Yes it's not a Zumo but it works great and does everything I need it to. Sure I can't listen to MP3 files on the GPS; however, I can listen to my Ipod via ER6i's and pause it when a call is placed/received via headset. I was very close to buying the 760 with the Aqua setup but for a few more bucks that TT was there...Good luck lots of options out there.

• Member Contributer

gallery_1767_394_35317.jpg

GPS on MC.jpg

This is about as cheap as it gets. Garmin GPS 12 with no extras but still waterproof. Mainly use it for speed and mileage ridden so I can concentrate on the road and the cages trying to kill me. Mounted to handlebar using a piece of car stereo backstrap and existing bolts on handlebar clip on. Motorcycling on a budget. Good luck with whatever you get. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I had almost no good reason to upgrade the memory, other than to see if I could. I can. On the plus side, I could turn it into an MP3 player if I wanted too, or I could load every POI there is, or anything else that requires memory (lots and lots of routes).

I looked at adding a headphone jack, and it has been done, but I think the only way I would do it is by making a cable that comes out...just not much room in there. I may still do this, as the voice prompts WOULD be nice....especially since I have Darth Vader as my voice (I have tons of room...why not?)

MP3 player is intriguing. I haven't cracked mine open yet but wondered if the antennae port could be replaced with a mini earphone jack. Pigtail would be easier though.

I haven't heard the Vader voice but I put Hannibal Lector on my wifes' TT.

Archived