Shinkos, Anyone?

Guest Paladin

Just spooned on a set of the Stealth 003's this morning (stock 3rd gen sizes). Went out for my normal warm-up/tire scuffing ride. I get to my "testing" area (about 2 miles away) and on my third pass I'm knee on the deck with no issues at all. My testing area consists of three 25mph back to back 90 degree corners with slightly varying radius, but normally taken at around 65mph or quicker. I then proceeded on to some tight cloverleafs near the bridges that cross the Red River here. 2nd gear knee on the deck the entire time around. Plenty of stick with plenty of feel. No slips, no moments, just solid grip. I was running with 36/38 psi

One thing I noticed, is that you do roll right to edge of the tire (on the rear) with a little more left on the front, but no where near on the edge of the tire. I'll have to keep an eye on that. It's more down to the profile of the tire is all. I'm not figuring on getting killer mileage, 3-4k is all I'm guessing. Time will tell. Going up to Arkansas next week for 4 days of strafing on the local backroads.

It's official...these tires suck. :blink: Yes, you can buy other tires out there for twice as much, but you ain't getting twice the performance or stick. These are more than adequate for normal street riding and general hooligan antics IMO.

Damn, you ARE 1LuckyDude. We can't seem make that work here in the land of the square tires. No corners to strafe, you see. Alright boys, BACK to the cloverleafs!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't run a set yet, but I would consider buying them. Everything I've heard from people that have actually used them is mostly positive. I hear better things about Shinko than I hear about Dunlop.

All those who are trying these tires please makes sure you post your ride reports ie: wear, grip, noise etc....I really would like to see if anyone else has the same issues I ran into with the last set...I hope it was a fluke and these are a viable option, no one likes to spend so much $$ when it comes time to spoon tires....A private cycle shop near my home sells Shinkos and is the only brand they carry, out of his own words he told me these tires were no for those who look for twisty roads...but he did say that he runs them on his Busa (which he drag races) and alot of those who drag race buy them from him...so it would sound as they would be great commuter tires or drag strip shoes....anyways post up your reviews

• Member Contributer
I have spent the last 20 years working for conti tire and one thing I can tell you is there is a big difference in the tire manufactures.The tire machines that put the components i.e. tread,sidewall ect. really effect the end result.The mixing process differ and Michelin has the best,the bottom line when you buy a Michelin it's a more consistent period.

In a car tire it might pay to opt for an off brand but a MC you only have two,when you factor the cost of a off it's worth some extra dollars.The hospital bill along would buy a life time of tires.

Regards,

Mike

So I shouldn't buy Conti's anymore? :blush:

:laugh:

• Member Contributer
I have spent the last 20 years working for conti tire and one thing I can tell you is there is a big difference in the tire manufactures.The tire machines that put the components i.e. tread,sidewall ect. really effect the end result.The mixing process differ and Michelin has the best,the bottom line when you buy a Michelin it's a more consistent period.

In a car tire it might pay to opt for an off brand but a MC you only have two,when you factor the cost of a off it's worth some extra dollars.The hospital bill along would buy a life time of tires.

Regards,

Mike

So I shouldn't buy Conti's anymore? :huh:

:blush:

I don't like I said one accident on the bike can add up real fast,cars tires what the heck I run conti.I get them for around $45 per tire as a retired employee. :laugh:

• Member Contributer
I don't like I said one accident on the bike can add up real fast,cars tires what the heck I run conti.I get them for around $45 per tire as a retired employee. :laugh:

Just teasing. I love Conti tires. Running the Sport Attack front/Road Attack rear combo right now. You need to hook a brother up with deals like that! wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Shinko 009 Ravens are great tires. I have been using them on my 97 VFR and love them. They are profiled right, give great feedback and offer a good service life. They can be had at Chaparral right now for $151 delivered. (120/70 and 170/60) I just got my next set yesterday at that price.

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=106588

The above is a great review on the 006s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
I spooned on a set of Shinko 005's about 1500 miles ago and I have no complaints so far. Well my only complaint would be the "NO HANDS" head shake between 45 and 55 mph. Just do not let go at this speed..... :biggrin:. No hands at any other speed is very solid and smooth. Wind, rain, cold, warm, low speed, high speed, this is a very capable tire. My previous tires on the vfr have been the stock Bridgestone 020, Avon Storms, and Continential Road Attacks and in my opinion for the first 1500 miles out perform the 020's and Road Attacks. Be interesting what kind of mileage I get with 005's. I received between 7 and 8 thousand miles from each set of tire mentioned above. At a $160 a pair (ebay) I would give these tires a :fing02:n.

After 5,000 miles, I have dismounted the 005s. I still believe these are very capable tire, especially for $160 a pair. The rear was not quite to the wear bars, and the front really showed no signs of wear. What I could not deal with anymore was "NO HANDS" decelerating head shake at 45 mph or so, otherwise and at any other speed these tires were rock solid. Note my previous Conti Road Attacks had a slight head shake at the same speed. Maybe I just got a bad tire, I balanced and rebalanced with no change......anyway for a $130 more a set, I spooned on a Pilot Road 2 for the rear and a Pilot Power for the front and guess what, NO HEAD SHAKE, none what so ever! Seems I do alot of riding at that 45 mph range, (turns, slowing down, in town, etc.) and the michelins for the first 100 miles seem worth the extra $.

left rear

gallery_9578_4817_148516.jpg

001.JPG

right rear

gallery_9578_4817_310081.jpg

002.JPG

rear

gallery_9578_4817_666243.jpg

003.JPG

right front

gallery_9578_4817_1152052.jpg

004.JPG

left front

gallery_9578_4817_1246354.jpg

005.JPG

front

gallery_9578_4817_1058542.jpg

006.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

the ravens on my zx are still going strong- at least as good as any other big name tires I have tried. They seem to be good tires for the money so far. I still say you have to ride w hat you like and trust but they are serving me well imho and I would buy another set when it comes time.

You might also look at the Tomohawk tires through ceebailey.com.A couple of guys that I sold some luggage to said they wore real well and performed great.They are also very cheap.

I have tried a Tomahawk rear and found it to be the scariest tire I have ever ridden on. It performed poorly on dry pavement and was totally useless on anything wet. I was glad when it wore out at 2500 miles. (less than 1/3 what I get with my usual tires) These are retread tires, by the way. I would avoid them.

• Member Contributer

My Tomahawks lasted 15,000 km - most of it two-up at the speed limit at a brisk pace and I rode them almost to the edge of the tire - so I guess YMMV. Only rode them in the rain a few times and wasn't trying to test their limits of adhesion - supposed to be the same rubber compound as the D208.

Just spooned on a set of the Stealth 003's this morning (stock 3rd gen sizes). Went out for my normal warm-up/tire scuffing ride. I get to my "testing" area (about 2 miles away) and on my third pass I'm knee on the deck with no issues at all. My testing area consists of three 25mph back to back 90 degree corners with slightly varying radius, but normally taken at around 65mph or quicker. I then proceeded on to some tight cloverleafs near the bridges that cross the Red River here. 2nd gear knee on the deck the entire time around. Plenty of stick with plenty of feel. No slips, no moments, just solid grip. I was running with 36/38 psi

One thing I noticed, is that you do roll right to edge of the tire (on the rear) with a little more left on the front, but no where near on the edge of the tire. I'll have to keep an eye on that. It's more down to the profile of the tire is all. I'm not figuring on getting killer mileage, 3-4k is all I'm guessing. Time will tell. Going up to Arkansas next week for 4 days of strafing on the local backroads.

It's official...these tires suck. :excl: Yes, you can buy other tires out there for twice as much, but you ain't getting twice the performance or stick. These are more than adequate for normal street riding and general hooligan antics IMO.

I bought this VFR off of Jon and it still has the 003's on it. He had put 1500 miles on them, and I have another 700 miles on them this last w/e. I am impressed with the tires. The 003's are still probably 500-1000 miles from the wear bars, so I might look into the 009's for the next set.

Oh, and I know Jon (1luckydude) personally and I ride with him a few times a year in Northern Arkansas during our ZRXOA rallies, and he does take it to the limit, sliding knee pucks and all. So for sure, the 003's STICK on a 93 VFR.

You might also look at the Tomohawk tires through ceebailey.com.A couple of guys that I sold some luggage to said they wore real well and performed great.They are also very cheap.

Tomahawk tires are RETREAD tires. They are heavy compared to virgin tires.

http://www.cycletires.com/faqs.htm

As for stick, I have never tried them, but one of our newer group riders a few years ago bought them and used them up. He was always riding sweep. Never had any slip issues or wrecks, but was always at the back. After he used the Tomahawks up, he bought some name-brand shoes and instantly was riding up at the front of the groups with the fast riders. He stated that the better tires were what changed him into a more confident rider.

Take that as you will, I am just relaying info as I know it from him, not a first hand riding experience.

• 2 months later...

Just to give my $.02

I just put on a set of Shinko 005s on my 2003 non-ABS. I've never ridden a sport bike before this so I didn't want to spend extra money on expensive sticky tires since I'd only be using the first few thousand miles to get used to riding a bike like this. Took the wheels to a shop and got them mounted and balanced for $200 OTD.

Well, I ended up getting used to it sooner than I anticipated :laugh: :fing02: and have had no problems with peg-scraping turns or even handling on wet pavement.

Coming from the cruiser world I'm not very familiar with the treads on sportbike tires, but I do like that these don't have a single groove running along the center of the tire, but rather alternating angled cuts -- those straight grooves usually help the bike catch cuts in the pavement/low spots between lanes/etc and hurt handling. The front Dunlop on my VTX has that center groove and it seems like it actually searches out the ruts to get stuck in.

For the kind of riding I will be doing on the VFR (very sporty weekend riding, but not REALLY pushing it) these tires seem fantastic. The only aspect yet to be factored into my positive reaction to them is the speed of wear -- still yet to be determined as I've only got maybe 500 miles on them.

I have Shinko Ravens on my '00. Although I'm not a very aggressive rider(I live in Florida for goodness sake) I like them, and probably will get another set when these wear out.

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thought I'd bring this one back to life than to make a new one.

My rear is worn down and my front is kinda almost worn down. I really don't want to put expensive/ "high" quality tires on when winter is right around the corner. I dont want the winter wearing new tires. So, I thought I'd give Shinko a try. I'm not really worried about tire life, more on the soft / faster warm ups. What would be a soft "street" tire from shinko?

I was looking at the Stealths and like them. The only concern is they dont look like they'll do well when the elements start falling from the sky. I ride in any weather and always seem to get caught in crap weather when I leave town.

Archived