Shinkos, Anyone?

Guest Paladin

Guest Paladin

I'm fixin' to get back to the VFR after a 3 year absence on a WeeStrom, an FZ1 and a Bandit 1250. So it's been a few years since I posted here on my favourite forum . . . (I see I've lost my post counts!)

Anyhow, I haven't seen a single reference here at VFRD about the Shinko tires (based on Yokohama molds and recipes). They are available for an amazing price - like $150/set delivered - and get quite favourable reviews. I put a set on my Bandit but sold it before having a chance to really test them out. I wonder if anyone has tried them on their VFR?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My "new to me" used VFR had them on when I bought it 5 years ago - I rode for about 5,000 km on them - they seemed ok - but miles apart from the Pilot Powers I now use.

I'm sure they are decent enough - just depends on how you intend to use them.

My local roads are largely chip/seal, very tough on tire wear. I am lucky to see 3500 kms on a sport tire or 5,000 kms on a sport-touring tire. I have the HF changer but by golly buying and changing tires gets real old at these rates. I am riding less aggressively now that I am an old man (at least that is the plan) so I am looking for something reasonably priced (you can't beat these prices) with long life . . . say, 6,000 kms? I don't think we all necessarily need a level of grip that wold have done an AMA racer proud 10 years ago. But I also don't want to be slip-sliding away on the dusty local roads, which are nicely challenging. Guess I'll just have to try them and see . . .

I'm not familiar with all of the their models, but have mounted and balanced a ton of Shinko's for people. Most of them taking it to the drag strip and avoiding curves at all costs.

With tires, I think you kind of get what you pay for.

They're like ice skates...just like dating that girl with the dagger tattoo on her boob, it's fun for a while but when it goes sideways it's going to take a while to recover...not speaking from personal experience of course .

In other words, look elsewhere for tires

• Member Contributer
My local roads are largely chip/seal, very tough on tire wear. I am lucky to see 3500 kms on a sport tire or 5,000 kms on a sport-touring tire. I have the HF changer but by golly buying and changing tires gets real old at these rates. I am riding less aggressively now that I am an old man (at least that is the plan) so I am looking for something reasonably priced (you can't beat these prices) with long life . . . say, 6,000 kms? I don't think we all necessarily need a level of grip that wold have done an AMA racer proud 10 years ago. But I also don't want to be slip-sliding away on the dusty local roads, which are nicely challenging. Guess I'll just have to try them and see . . .

I have a 2003 CB919 and will be needing some new rubber soon. I have considered these but have not bought any yet. Let us know how you like them and if I buy any, I'll do the same. Since I commute 80 miles a day, they be just what I need. Thanks, JD

Despite the warnings, it seems that all of the reviews I've read from folks who've actually used them are surprisingly positive, with no horror stories.

I am spooning on a set of 003 Stealths for my next set. They are NOT as bad as most would have you believe. :biggrin: I love how peeps will say they suck and never even ridden on them. :rolleyes: I don't like the 005 or the 009s, but the 003 Stealth is a very decent, sticky tire for the money. The mainstream rubber out there is not twice as good IMO(some cost twice as much). More than enough stick for the street. I've also run these at the drag strip on my dragbike and they are very tacky/sticky. Just because you drag, don't mean you can't do trackdays as well. wink.gif Mileage you are looking at sporty rubber mileage of 3-4k.

003s=sporty rubber (this also comes in an ultra soft compound)

005s/009s=sport touring rubber

If you are a conservative rider the 005 or 009 will be more than adequate.

They're like ice skates...just like dating that girl with the dagger tattoo on her boob, it's fun for a while but when it goes sideways it's going to take a while to recover...not speaking from personal experience of course .

In other words, look elsewhere for tires

Based on YOUR experience, you can't even qualify your statement. :biggrin:

Once my Conti Road Attacks wear out I'll be trying the Shinko Raven (009's). With my riding style (not aggressive) I wear my tires out in the centre so I suspect the Shinko Raven's are going to work fine for me. I also noticed that anyone who has actually used them seems to like them.

One of the latest ride reports on this guy's website used Shinko's on his VFR and appeared to like them, actually I think he replaced them with Shinko's when they wore out.

http://www.bcsnowcat.ca/

Where are you finding them for $150.00 delivered in Canada?

• Member Contributer
I am spooning on a set of 003 Stealths for my next set. They are NOT as bad as most would have you believe. :biggrin: I love how peeps will say they suck and never even ridden on them. :rolleyes: I don't like the 005 or the 009s, but the 003 Stealth is a very decent, sticky tire for the money. The mainstream rubber out there is not twice as good IMO(some cost twice as much). More than enough stick for the street. I've also run these at the drag strip on my dragbike and they are very tacky/sticky. Just because you drag, don't mean you can't do trackdays as well. wink.gif Mileage you are looking at sporty rubber mileage of 3-4k.

003s=sporty rubber (this also comes in an ultra soft compound)

005s/009s=sport touring rubber

If you are a conservative rider the 005 or 009 will be more than adequate.

Good info! My wife works for a major tire manufacture and we nearly always buy that brand of tire. When the Koreans started importing tires everyone dogged them out. Include me in that as well. Long story short, I bought a set of 19" wheels on ebay and they came with new unheard of Korean tires. Hell, I can't even remember their name and they are on my car. I expected to get 20,000 miles out of them but they are no where worn and I have 20K on them now. Best of all, they stick like glue. There is an exit ramp I take every morning and with the 19" 'crappy' Korean tires, I go through there in 3rd gear at 50 mph and exit going into 5 gear at 65 mph. The Michelins I had on the car when I bought it new would only allow me to enter at 40-45 and exit at 50 mph.

Call me stupid but I have not found the magical tree with $100.00 bills begging me to pick them. That's the main reason I want to try them. If the 919 can handle them, I will probably try them on the VFR. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Can't speak to the Shinko's, but I have had Maxxis Supermaxx tires on several bikes and I've not had a problem. Of course I tend to ride like a wuss...5mph over the limit when the wife is following, a tad more if on my own and no 10k rpm corner exits. No track days or following BR around to report on a "real" workout, but they are available relatively cheeeep, last pretty long, and have enough traction for slo pokes in the wet, below freezing, and all other conditions I've tried.

Actually I had them delivered last year to my hotel in Virginia . . . but with the low loonie this year and cross-border issues they would probably top $200 now. Still an amazing deal for decent rubber.

I have a set on my wifes bike (it can with them). They ****. What I mean is they are the most unimpressive tires I have used. I really think they are oval and not round. You can get Dulops, Pirellis and other for good prices on the web.

www.motorcycle-superstore.com got some Pirellis from them in the past. Great deal.

www.motoxoutlet.com I just got some Dunlops from there.

Both places have great deals on quailty brand.

I have a set on my wifes bike (it can with them). They SUCK. I really think they are oval and not round. You can get Dulops, Pirellis and other for good prices on the web.

www.motorcycle-superstore.com got some Pirellis from them in the past. Great deal.

www.motoxoutlet.com I just got some Dunlops from there.

Both places have great deals on quailty brand.

instead of just saying they suck...how about some actual qualification of that statement and expand on the oval, not round statement. And what does '(it can with them)? mean? :biggrin: Obviously, they are not oval, as your wife would not be able to ride on them. :rolleyes: Which tires, what kind of use, what issues/problems? Are they old? Worn out? Details....

• Member Contributer

I spooned on a set of Shinko 005's about 1500 miles ago and I have no complaints so far. Well my only complaint would be the "NO HANDS" head shake between 45 and 55 mph. Just do not let go at this speed..... :biggrin:. No hands at any other speed is very solid and smooth. Wind, rain, cold, warm, low speed, high speed, this is a very capable tire. My previous tires on the vfr have been the stock Bridgestone 020, Avon Storms, and Continential Road Attacks and in my opinion for the first 1500 miles out perform the 020's and Road Attacks. Be interesting what kind of mileage I get with 005's. I received between 7 and 8 thousand miles from each set of tire mentioned above. At a $160 a pair (ebay) I would give these tires a :fing02:n.

Actually I had them delivered last year to my hotel in Virginia . . . but with the low loonie this year and cross-border issues they would probably top $200 now. Still an amazing deal for decent rubber.

Tire prices in Canada are insane, and $200 for a set is a good price. If you go for them let us know what you think of them.

• Member Contributer

They are black and round and keep the wheels off the ground, I`ve inherited two sets on two different bikes over the years. Seemed hard to keep in balance. Replaced both sets on both bikes with something more costly. I question the quality control.

My buddy Craig had to get a shinko rear on his viffer last year on our trip home from Canada. Said it wore rather quickly

Hey Miguel - cheers!

Do you happen to know what grade he was on? (009 0r 005 0r 003)?

They are black and round and keep the wheels off the ground, I`ve inherited two sets on two different bikes over the years. Seemed hard to keep in balance. Replaced both sets on both bikes with something more costly. I question the quality control.

How did they go out of balance? :biggrin: I've never had any tire go out of balance before. Lost wheel weights yes, but a tire just go out of balance? What happened?

My buddy Craig had to get a shinko rear on his viffer last year on our trip home from Canada. Said it wore rather quickly

Which tire? If it was the 003, then yes it will wear quickly, more so if it was the ultrasoft. The 005 and 009 wear much better.

I've had sport-touring (don't remember 005 or 009) on my previous bike (Z750 - similar to VFR performance). Put 17000-18000Km (11000Mls) on the rear one and it was still OK to pass safety when I sold it this year. Can't complain at all...

• 1 month later...

Just spooned on a set of the Stealth 003's this morning (stock 3rd gen sizes). Went out for my normal warm-up/tire scuffing ride. I get to my "testing" area (about 2 miles away) and on my third pass I'm knee on the deck with no issues at all. My testing area consists of three 25mph back to back 90 degree corners with slightly varying radius, but normally taken at around 65mph or quicker. I then proceeded on to some tight cloverleafs near the bridges that cross the Red River here. 2nd gear knee on the deck the entire time around. Plenty of stick with plenty of feel. No slips, no moments, just solid grip. I was running with 36/38 psi

One thing I noticed, is that you do roll right to edge of the tire (on the rear) with a little more left on the front, but no where near on the edge of the tire. I'll have to keep an eye on that. It's more down to the profile of the tire is all. I'm not figuring on getting killer mileage, 3-4k is all I'm guessing. Time will tell. Going up to Arkansas next week for 4 days of strafing on the local backroads.

It's official...these tires suck. :beer: Yes, you can buy other tires out there for twice as much, but you ain't getting twice the performance or stick. These are more than adequate for normal street riding and general hooligan antics IMO.

Archived