Interesting Headlight Reading

Tightwad

This was an interesting link that MAKMAN sent me....I thought others might also like it:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu.../good/good.html

It deals with the "Cool Blue" bulbs, and debunks the myth that blue filter light(shows whiter) alone gives more visibility.

Interesting read. Now I can get the "other" Silver Stars to put in my vehicles. :fing02:

Sure can! I've had them in mine for the last three years. I can't remember exactly where I got mine. I think it was from somewhere like Cal. sport tour. I'll post back when I get home and look at the receipt, if they're still in business.

Action

EDIT - Try HERE

• Member Contributer
Interesting read. Now I can get the "other" Silver Stars to put in my vehicles. :biggrin:

Sure can! I've had them in mine for the last three years. I can't remember exactly where I got mine. I think it was from somewhere like Cal. sport tour. I'll post back when I get home and look at the receipt, if they're still in business.

Action

EDIT - Try HERE

Ouch! It looks like it's cheaper to order them overseas.... :laugh:

Osram Silver Star H7

I worked in Auto Parts sales for 6.5 years....we sometimes had sales contests on the various Sylvania headlights, trying to "upsell" customers. I hate salesmen who upsell me into a non-beneficial purchase, and this was a perfect example of that. I saw more customers than I like to think about who sold themselves into thinking the headlight was better, simply because it was "Cool Blue", and thus offered some benefit. Reality was it was mostly a sales ploy, and the bulbs were generally not much better.

Couple that with the markup on light bulbs (tremendous) in general and I get frustrated!

• Member Contributer

Cool Blue????

I prefer "Mellow Yellow"........

HPIM0208.jpg

:fing02:

The fact is that no one needs those tinted bulbs any more with real HID kits now becoming so cheap. Many people say that putting HID bulbs in Halogen headlamps causes bad patterns and such. True, they don't work as good as HID bulbs in HID headlamps, but they are many times better than crap halogen bulbs. They key is taking 5 minutes to aim them properly. I used a set of these in my '94 Audi S4, currently have a set in my '04 VW GTI, my dad runs a set with high/low in his '07 Nissan Xterra and my room mate runs a pair in his '04 Audi A4. No real problems at all. I had a ballast go bad on my GTI, i just slapped in a Halogen bulb for a week while they sent me a new ballast (most if not all kits come with a lifetime warranty on bulbs AND ballasts).

With the Silverstars running around $40+ a pair and not lasting as long as regular bulbs, these are a bargain.

55w kits for under $100

under $50 for 35w kits (OEM HID cars are usually 35w)

• Member Contributer

I tried Sylvania Silver Stars in my GS500 because the bulb in the headlamp when I got the bike put out a somewhat weak and very yellowed light. I had poor luck with them. First one died within a week; first the low side then the high. Replaced under store return warranty with another Silver Star, same thing happened in about the same time.

I liked the light they cast but I didn't like the rapid death they seemed to experience. I went to my "regular" stealership and picked up a bulb out of their Tucker Rocky catalog. Paid about 1/2 as much as what the Silver Star cost me in the first place and it lasted for the next six months, when I sold the bike. My experience with these bulbs seems very out of the norm, but I won't try them again. All bulbs used were the same labeled wattage.

The fact is that no one needs those tinted bulbs any more with real HID kits now becoming so cheap. Many people say that putting HID bulbs in Halogen headlamps causes bad patterns and such. True, they don't work as good as HID bulbs in HID headlamps, but they are many times better than crap halogen bulbs. They key is taking 5 minutes to aim them properly. I used a set of these in my '94 Audi S4, currently have a set in my '04 VW GTI, my dad runs a set with high/low in his '07 Nissan Xterra and my room mate runs a pair in his '04 Audi A4. No real problems at all. I had a ballast go bad on my GTI, i just slapped in a Halogen bulb for a week while they sent me a new ballast (most if not all kits come with a lifetime warranty on bulbs AND ballasts).

With the Silverstars running around $40+ a pair and not lasting as long as regular bulbs, these are a bargain.

55w kits for under $100

<$50 for HID? Seems like a very nice price. Anyone installed a set on the VFR?

55w kits for under $100

<$50 for HID? Seems like a very nice price. Anyone installed a set on the VFR?

I know there is at least one write up on doing it around here. It isn't hard, it's all plug and play. I plan on adding a kit to the BMW in the near future

Archived