Oil ?

Lifesaver

• Member Contributer
dude beat me to it! Extra virgin, tho

Oh yeah, extra of course. In fact, I wear size 'extra medium' in clothes too!

• Member Contributer

WOW speaking of oil! I use Castrol syntec 10-40 synthetic and it's usually about $7 a quart...yesterday morning i went to walmart(yuck) to get oil for the bike so I could ride to work, well they had it in 5 quart jugs for only $25(advertised price) which was a good deal....but it rang $15 :fing02: :happy: I guess it was mismarked....so today I went back to see if they had corrected it and nope, So I got two more 5 quart jugs for $30. What a deal!!! Now I'm good for at least 2 maybe 3 oil changes! :angry:

• Member Contributer

I understand this is another oil question (thread), but it would have been nice to just answer the question. Yes, I know a quick search would provide the answer. I've seen in recent past a few of these type questions being made fun of and the poster leaves the forum. I know most of the responses here are in good fun, but sometimes people take it the wrong way, especially new posters.

I personally use Amsoil because from all of my research, Amsoil provides the best lubrication and protection against engine wear. Just do a quick search on the internet and there are independent tests on a varieties of oil brands. The problem with these type of questions is if you asked 10 people, you might get 10 different answers. Much of the answer is personal preference. In reality, if you maintain your bike as stated in your owner's manual you should be fine with any oil brand. Just stay away from oil with Moly additive, because high Moly additive is known to make our wet clutch slip (at least on my 6th Gen).

I understand this is another oil question (thread), but it would have been nice to just answer the question. Yes, I know a quick search would provide the answer. I've seen in recent past a few of these type questions being made fun of and the poster leaves the forum. I know most of the responses here are in good fun, but sometimes people take it the wrong way, especially new posters.

I personally use Amsoil because from all of my research, Amsoil provides the best lubrication and protection against engine wear. Just do a quick search on the internet and there are independent tests on a varieties of oil brands. The problem with these type of questions is if you asked 10 people, you might get 10 different answers. Much of the answer is personal preference. In reality, if you maintain your bike as stated in your owner's manual you should be fine with any oil brand. Just stay away from oil with poly additive, because high poly additive is known to make our wet clutch slip (at least on my 6th Gen).

First, I think everyone feels the need to joke about it at this point, and the poster is not a newbie, being that they have 700+ posts, not to mention the way the post was worded, it just begged to be joked about.

Just about any oil will serve you well, I have seen engines go 200,000 miles with the cheapest oil off the shelf, which was different every week, however any synthetic oil is going to give you better life and in most cases more power/better gas. And the additive you are looking for is Moly, not Poly, as in MoS2 or Molybdenum disulfide. But you will get conflicting views on this as well, I know guys who ADD Moly to their bikes that run your off the shelf energy conserving motor oil without trouble, and then I know guys who have run just energy conserving oil once and had all kind of slipping. Over all I like playing it safe, YMMV.

• Member Contributer
I've seen in recent past a few of these type questions being made fun of and the poster leaves the forum. I know most of the responses here are in good fun, but sometimes people take it the wrong way, especially new posters.

I this case, I recommend baby oil. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
I've seen in recent past a few of these type questions being made fun of and the poster leaves the forum. I know most of the responses here are in good fun, but sometimes people take it the wrong way, especially new posters.

I this case, I recommend baby oil. :491:

:fing02: :lurk: :491:

Now, THAT is funny.

As for what oil I use, I will buy Motul synthec or something like that when I do my first oil change in a few weeks in a effort to get the bike ready for summer--I know I know, some of you will change it before they put it away, I just park it and kiss it good night.

Anyway, that's all I can contribute.

PPM

I sorta see both sides...much of me wants to either completely avoid an "OIL" thread and part of me wants to be witty and joke around (I LOVE the baby oil comment!).

I agree that we shouldn't give new people a hard time (but the Thread starter seems seasoned already). What I want to point out is that this Forum in gerneral is SOOOOO much nicer than many other Forums where people are quite rude and pushy. You all are generally well-behaved.

Anyway, I spend much more time choosing an olive oil than a motor oil. Just don't use "yellow death!"

Archived