Can I Run A 190 Rear For The Track?

VFR Capt.Bob

• Member Contributer

I've been prepping for a track day March 13 at Willow Springs-main track. My friend who is going has an extra rear Michelin race tire but it's a 190. Reading on a club racer forum I found a lot of 600 class riders use the 190 rears and like the results. I'd like to know what the consensus is here on running a size larger on my 5th gen VFR for a track day.

I want to help a friend out plus he's giving me a smoking deal on the tire.

I'll continue my independant research as I await your input. Especially the track guys!!!

Bob, no worries, you can run the 190 on your 5.5 inch rim. If you want to, I have an extra rim you can borrow in Ventura Mike's garage. I dont have any use for it for at least the next year and a half. You are welcome to it.

OOPS, just noticed that you want to run the 190, I thought it was 180 for some reason. As has been said below, you can do it, but I wouldn't. You can still borrow my spare rim though.

• Member Contributer
I've been prepping for a track day March 13 at Willow Springs-main track. My friend who is going has an extra rear Michelin race tire but it's a 190. Reading on a club racer forum I found a lot of 600 class riders use the 190 rears and like the results. I'd like to know what the consensus is here on running a size larger on my 5th gen VFR for a track day.

I want to help a friend out plus he's giving me a smoking deal on the tire.

I'll continue my independant research as I await your input. Especially the track guys!!!

Its doable but it will slow down your steering response. I wouldnt think thats a good idea for the track. ------Me? I wouldnt do it. Stay stock if you can.

MD

I'd say the handling characteristics of the bike are designed for the stock 180 size. I'm sure you could run a 190 and possibly notice a difference, but it may be negative when you're on the track. Of course, we'd appreciate your feedback if you decide to use the 190. We're all ears.

So I'm guessing you have the same type of race tire to put on the front as well? I don't think it's a good idea to put a race tire on the back with a less sticky street tire on the front. Also, I wouldn't necessarily recommend putting race tires on unless you have warmers and whatnot. I did my last track cay on the 600rr with the PR5's that came with it and it took me 2 full laps before the tires were even close to being up to temp. The edges on the PR5's are all but gone so I've switched to the BT-016's. You can get a heck of a deal on the 016's HERE! ($239 front & rear shipped)

• Member Contributer
Bob, no worries, you can run the 190 on your 5.5 inch rim. If you want to, I have an extra rim you can borrow in Ventura Mike's garage. I don't have any use for it for at least the next year and a half. You are welcome to it.

Damn Shrek you're the man. I'll talk to Mike maybe take you up on it. I've still got a lot of life left in the BTo16

I'm not too worried about the bike steering a bit slower at the track as long as it's stable and neutral I'm good.

I expect the rear ride height will increase slightly flattening the swing arm angle a bit. I don't think it should be a big issue at the speeds I'll be riding.

I'll post a report here if I do it.

Wait, Shayne is offering a 6.25 rear rim so you're off the hook Shrek.

• Member Contributer
So I'm guessing you have the same type of race tire to put on the front as well? I don't think it's a good idea to put a race tire on the back with a less sticky street tire on the front. Also, I wouldn't necessarily recommend putting race tires on unless you have warmers and whatnot. I did my last track cay on the 600rr with the PR5's that came with it and it took me 2 full laps before the tires were even close to being up to temp. The edges on the PR5's are all but gone so I've switched to the BT-016's. You can get a heck of a deal on the 016's HERE! ($239 front & rear shipped)
Yeah, I never mix and match tire compounds unless someone I know and oppinion I respect has tried it with great success. Tucking the front is never pretty. That's as good a deal on those tires as I'd ever expect. I'm running them now and really like them. Hmmmm. :happy: Matching front tire is part of the deal in helping someone out. Just not a part of the question so I didn't mention it. :fing02:

Hey Bob, here's another option for you. I've got a spare 6th gen rear rim. 6.25". As far as the 190 is concerned, I borrowed a set of rims/tires from Pat (tooslow) last year and he had Dunlop Qualifiers front and rear. Rear is a 190 and it handled just fine the 500 or so miles I ran it. He might be the one to ask on how it handled differently from the 180. He's on BTE and VFRD.

let me know if you want to borrow the rear rim (if it works, I'm sure the gearheads are getting ready to reply as soon they finish reading this...) and I'll meet you halfway...

• Member Contributer

I don't think you'd have any issues running the 190 tire on your bike. As mentioned, it would be best to match it up with a race compound tire on the front as well. Too much grip out back will cause a lot of front end pushing. That's a lot bigger of a deal than the 180 vs. 190 discussion.

Archived