El Cheapo Camera+mount Idea's?

AB-Oz

Question

G'day all,

After another fantastic 4-day OzVFR assault on the Snowy Mountains, I've reminded myself to ask the brainy multitude that is VFRD if anyone has an idea for a way to mount a digi cam (still, not video) on the bike, with a remote shutter release mounted near the bar controls?

The reason behind this is although wh have a couple of guys in OzVFR with bike-mounted vid cams, most of us only take still pictures at regrouping or rest stops, no-one has taken photos of us on the move. These sort of shots would add to ride reports, instead of saying stuff like "rode 300km around the twistiest roads in the mountains, here's a picture of the carpark at the end" smile.gif.

My bike has a tinted screen, so the camera would need to be mounted to the side somehow, or on the back hanging off the ventura rack.

Cheers

12 answers to this question

Don't know if these are readily available over there, but there cheap and easy. It's a Video, but you can pull single shots off most videos if it won't do stills on it's own. My avatar was pulled off a track day video I did this year.

GoPro

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46222

• Member Contributer

A while back, I did a write up on how on shoot on the move. "Shots from the Bars" I think I called it. Use this rig on my VFR and WIng. If you position the camera on the left grip you can shoot easily without remote.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry528491

med_gallery_2144_2760_98889.jpg

med_gallery_2144_2004_545018.jpg

Cheers Bonus, I do recall that thread now, just couldn't find it (kicks ground sheepishly smile.gif) will have a good look now.

How about the Gopro unit??

Just bought one For $189.00 with all the mounts havent tested it though>>

Thanks Strap, just looking at that now. Did you get the normal or wide angle version?

Damn the drop in the Oz dollar, a few weeks ago it was $1aud=0.98usd, now its like 1:0.68 sad.gif

Got a mate in Singapore looking into getting me one from there.

• Member Contributer
Damn Goldwings with that vent in the wind shield... :fing02:

:biggrin:

Yea that is part of my lessons learned file!!! Lots of lessons on my part. Long as the bugs are ok shooting over the screen works best on the VFR though.

Following a bunch of STs on Sherman Pass in October.............gettting better and a longer RAM arm too.

2059953630099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Sometimes you even have to catch the beauty of a "split"

2586580600099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer
Sometimes you want to remember the moment ..................without having to stop and take off ATG.

2281518650099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2774892490099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Snow in the Mountains right?

2597679300099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow. some damn fine 'moments' there Bonus!

• Member Contributer
Cheers Bonus, I do recall that thread now, just couldn't find it (kicks ground sheepishly smile.gif) will have a good look now.

How about the Gopro unit??

Just bought one For $189.00 with all the mounts haven't tested it though>>

GoPro Hero cameras are neat. I just bought two of them (front & rear) They also double as a camera.

I have a RC45 video up done with the GoPro here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcBzbkxN4XE

Remember that YouTube really degrades they quality. Also the GoPro is a 170mm wide angle (fisheye) lens. It come with several mounting options, include a honker of a suction cup mount that will work on tanks & fairings...and 3M mount pads that really do work at speed & a waterproof (to 100 feet) case. Nice kit!

I highly recommend them. :dry: :fing02: :fing02:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

Nice video Tharkun, you even spliced in that picture of the RC45 getting some air-time smile.gif

Next vid we need some real twity roads and less video compression when publishing smile.gif

I think my decision is made, gonna get a gopro when I can hunt down a good price.

Archived