Welding Staintune Mufflers To The Midpipe

NVR2L8

• Member Contributer

I've never liked how the Staintune mufflers mount to the midpipe on the 6th Gen VFR's, and after 3 years and 35,000 I've probably had to re-do the high temp RTV joint on the left can more times than I can remember. If you ask me the method of how the muffler attaches to the midpipe isn't a very good design (no clamp and just RTV???), and I'm wondering if anyone has welded the mufflers to the midpipe. I can't see why it couldn't be done, as the stock system is one-piece muffler and midpipe design that bolts to the header. Looking for comments from the welding and exhaust experts...

Jeremy556 had the same problem, and the same idea. He asked me about welding them, and I suggested that he try expanding the ends of the midpipe(the part that slips inside the can) first.

He did, and it worked for him. You can have it done at any commercial muffler shop or do it yourself.

• Member Contributer

Yep, Seb and I talked about this just a few weeks ago.

I ended up getting someone to weld a crack in my mid pipe as well as the mounting flange back on. Then I took some large vise grips and bent the part on the midpipe that fits into the mufflers outwards, a little at a time until the fit of the mufflers was very snug (I used a BFH and block of wood to fit them together).

• Member Contributer

Must be a design issue as I had the same problem with my left can being loose.

I sent an email to Staintune to ask them what would be the best welding method to secure the can to the pipe.

They replied and said don't weld them together.......we are sending you a new mid pipe.

Wow!!! I was impressed!!

Archived