Ohlins Sock Oil

Bren

Question

• Member Contributer

Have been lucky enough to pick up a used Ohlins shock off epay.

Its off getting serviced now but I have a question about the oil for the re-fill.

Will my weight make a difference to what weight oil, eg 5wt, they put in or is it a standard oil for a standard Ohlins.

Anyone any pics of where they put the remote preload and the damping adjustment can?

Unfortunately it will be a while before I get my hands on the damn thing because they wont post it to me here. Have to get it posted to a friend in UK and next time we meet up I can get it. Trying to save money on postage and for my SP1 front wheel...

Nevermind its there and waiting. Like me, patient......

Thanks for any help

Bren :fing02:

8 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

The big thing is make sure you have the right spring on there. When i ordered mine, they asked me my weight and they installed a spring that matched me. But as for the fluid, I believe its their own fluid and its the same. But it also depends on the unit itself too. And make sure its an aurthorized Ohlins service center.

• Member Contributer

All Ohlins shocks use 5w fluid and you adjust the shim stack to suit your bike/weight. If you have already sent it off for servicing it will come back full of fluid - you won't need to worry about it.

• Member Contributer
All Ohlins shocks use 5w fluid and you adjust the shim stack to suit your bike/weight. If you have already sent it off for servicing it will come back full of fluid - you won't need to worry about it.

Thanks for the info! Would like to get it done right the first time and not have the hassle and expense of having to post it off somewhere again. They offer a " no quibble " guarantee for 2 years also which is reasurring.

When I eventually get it I will post up a pic.

Bren

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info! Would like to get it done right the first time and not have the hassle and expense of having to post it off somewhere again. They offer a " no quibble " guarantee for 2 years also which is reasurring.

Bren

Bren, Here's a pic of the typical mounting locations. The preload on the right mounted between the pillion bracket and subframe, or to the exhaust hanger bolt. The remote reservoir on the left strapped to the subframe.

IMG_4045Large.jpg

HPIM1875Large.jpg

I would second the recommendation to check the spring rating and swap it out if needed. The original is typically 150 lb-in, which probably only works well for someone under ~175 lb/80 kilo.

• Member Contributer

That is a mighty fine looking bike you got there VFRCapn. One day I might try the underseat exhaust route.

E-mailed the bloke doing the service to check what weight spring is in it. Want to get it right now and not mess about again later.

Thanks all.

Bren

• Member Contributer
The original is typically 150 lb-in, which probably only works well for someone under ~175 lb/80 kilo.

Your rider weight is correct, but the spring rate is actually about 800-850 lb/in. FYI

• Member Contributer
The original is typically 150 lb-in, which probably only works well for someone under ~175 lb/80 kilo.

Your rider weight is correct, but the spring rate is actually about 800-850 lb/in. FYI

D'oh! You're right, the 150 is actually N/mm.

• Member Contributer

Bren

Bren, Here's a pic of the typical mounting locations. The preload on the right mounted between the pillion bracket and subframe, or to the exhaust hanger bolt. The remote reservoir on the left strapped to the subframe.

IMG_4045Large.jpg

HPIM1875Large.jpg

I would second the recommendation to check the spring rating and swap it out if needed. The original is typically 150 lb-in, which probably only works well for someone under ~175 lb/80 kilo.

That's a good looking bike :biggrin:

Archived