No Power To Fuel Pump

Guest HAIRBALL

Guest HAIRBALL

HELLO I am new to this forum.

My cousin gave me his old 1983 vf 750 interceptor. The bike does run checked it with starter fluid once and only once. After further checking the fuel pump is not getting any power. The fuel pump does work I put 12v to it direct and works like a champ.

I did notice a relay inline that turned out to be a fuel cut relay. The HONDA dealer intown said the relay does not have to be in a certain position and there is no way to check it. Before I spend 60 bucks I would like someone's opinnion that is more knowledgable than myself.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT

THANX

MARK

• Member Contributer

The relay is a common failure. Most people just make a jumper and attach it directly to the plug. What this does is make sure power is always going to the pump. Honda put the relay in there as a safety measure to ensure that fuel doesn't spill all over during a crash. A friend's VF1000F was like that when he bought it and was ridden by him that way for several years without issue.

As many people know, I just get rid of the pump and relay all together by switching to gravity feed. All of my VF's are setup this way.

On the '90 VFR750 I had, the fuel pump worked only when the engine was running. Pretty stupid feature, I thought.

Are you sure that's not the problem? But in any case, it's not really needed, unless the bike's ona VERY steep downhill slope with a nearly-empty fuel tank, so if you can't sort it, remove it.

• Member Contributer
Pretty stupid feature, I thought.

Not if you are Honda and are worried about law suits. The feature is there because in the event of an accident if the fuel line is ruptured the bike could sit there dumping out fuel. This relay minimizes the amount of fuel that can spilled and therefore minimizes the hazard. It all comes down to money and law suits I'm afraid.

Archived