Pro-oiler Install "how To", Vtec Vfr

Guest rad

The chain life thing is such a minor issue for me. For me what is so great about the oiler is that I never have to clean my chain or oil it. As a daily commuter, and someone who also tours on my VFR, no cleaning or oiling is fantastic. I love not having to clean or oil a chain in a motel parking lot or camp site while on a long tour! :blink:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I had the chain on it for 20k kms Keny thought it was a bit to tight and we added some more slack to it. Now the chain is at 55k kms (34K mls) and it never needed adjustment or cleaning, stretch is less than 0.5%. I did replace the front sprocket 7K kms ago.

What do you typically get on other chains with VFR with no luber?

• Member Contributer
It is supposed to fling a little bit - that's the whole point,

I know and I notice some fling off getting on the sidewall of the tire too, but never on the tire profile.

Maybe something like this will solve that.

img1226qe7.jpg

Is this yours? If not, who? I would love to know more. Thanks!

The chain life thing is such a minor issue for me. For me what is so great about the oiler is that I never have to clean my chain or oil it. As a daily commuter, and someone who also tours on my VFR, no cleaning or oiling is fantastic. I love not having to clean or oil a chain in a motel parking lot or camp site while on a long tour! :blink:

The chain life thing that really got me irate was when I had to replace it in the middle of a tour, 2500 miles from home. I'd expected to get about 15K on that chain, like all the others, but it went south at 8K. If the chain oiler will delay the onset of sudden chain death syndrome, and make it set in more slowly so I can go out on a 10,000 mile journey without worrying, that's huge.

But on a day to day basis, yes, I like the carefree aspect of it.

I haven't had the VFR out in a couple weeks - I've been riding the TDM around locally, and I haven't worked on the VFR, haven't even cleaned the tire. So I have no progress to report since my last post.

What do you typically get on other chains with VFR with no luber?

35K kms max and then the chain and sprockets were toast. Riding on dirt roads and salt during the winter months doesn't do the chain any good. But Like others mentioned it is not just about chain life, it is about not having to clean the chain every week (or multiple times a week this time of year). Good chain maintenence will always improve chain life wheterh usig lube or oil. Lube doesn't stay on a chain when riding through a rainstorm for an hour with the oiler you just push a button/pull a lever for some extra chain maintenence while you ride. But most auto oiler topics end in oiler versus lube debate and by looking at the topic title the OP asked to keep that out of this thread.

Is this yours? If not, who? I would love to know more. Thanks!

No not mine and I do not have any contact info on the guy who made it. I do have another pic though wink.gif

img1227cd5.jpg

All I know is it has a little hole in the bottom through which the oil is able to escape and it did reduce the amount of fling off getting on the bike. I was thinking of making something similar as the hugger/chainguard I have on my VFR right now is shorter than stock and doesn't cover the rear sprocket at all.

You Note a critical issue with all this chain maintenance in the North. People in the deep south dont deal with salt and ice melting chemicals, I guess that makes it easier.

The Motorex 622 green holds up very well in all day rain and I had very marginal wear on cs at 53,000 mile , the real issue is all the road grit that needs to be cleaned off because of rain. For you its a push of a button or automatic, For me its a quick wd spray with a rag, not too bad at end of the day .

I have enjoyed the thread and sorry if viewed as a debate, I'm just seeing if all this money and time getting the oilers to function well is worth the effort.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q190/ho...t73/ironpig.jpg

Edited by spud786

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone been able to get a hold of Pablo at Pro-Oiler recently? I've sent a couple messages from the contact form on the Pro-Oiler website over the last couple weeks but haven't recieved a response yet.