Front Fork Rebuild

SwiftTech

Hello all, I need a little help with getting the parts to rebuild the front forks on my '02. I have a leaking fork seal on the left fork, and the bike has 26,xxx miles on it. I would like to completely go through the front forks, but I cannot find the part numbers for the parts. I have gone to www.servicehonda.com to try an look them up, but their remote destop application is not working for me at all. Could anybody helpp me out with looking up the part numbers? I know I need the fork seals and dust boots, orings for the strut cap and the dampning rod, the crush washer for the bottom of the dampning rod, and I think I would also want to replace the slider bushings too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :unsure:

Hello all, I need a little help with getting the parts to rebuild the front forks on my '02. I have a leaking fork seal on the left fork, and the bike has 26,xxx miles on it. I would like to completely go through the front forks, but I cannot find the part numbers for the parts. I have gone to www.servicehonda.com to try an look them up, but their remote destop application is not working for me at all. Could anybody helpp me out with looking up the part numbers? I know I need the fork seals and dust boots, orings for the strut cap and the dampning rod, the crush washer for the bottom of the dampning rod, and I think I would also want to replace the slider bushings too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :unsure:

I'd recommend the slider bushings, as they're easy to replace. You're right to go with OEM seals. I normally do not replace the dust seals, oring at the top cap, or the crush washers... and I've had many forks apart, sometimes multiple times, without any leaks.

Service Honda offers great support when you call them also... I'd recommend just calling them and having them get what you need.

Don't forget the oil, and some tool to accurately measure the level. You don't need fork spring compressors (even though I think Racetech's site offers you one).

This is a great time to do fork springs.... it is a mod that is <$90, and has a great return.

Or go whole hog and do the compression valve while you're in there!

Did the fork seals on my 02 back in june, not too difficult. 3 months and 3K miles later, no issues.

Got a spare (OEM) fork seal and dust boot. Number on the bag (for both) is 51490-MCF-000. Hope that helps. Concur with WERA910 on all else. You will also need a tool to drive the fork seal into its seat. I used a piece of PVC and a rubber mallet

I'd recommend the slider bushings, as they're easy to replace. You're right to go with OEM seals. I normally do not replace the dust seals, oring at the top cap, or the crush washers... and I've had many forks apart, sometimes multiple times, without any leaks.

Service Honda offers great support when you call them also... I'd recommend just calling them and having them get what you need.

Don't forget the oil, and some tool to accurately measure the level. You don't need fork spring compressors (even though I think Racetech's site offers you one).

This is a great time to do fork springs.... it is a mod that is <$90, and has a great return.

I'd like to second these comments, but also add that doing both sets of bushings is a good idea. They both see the same amount of wear, and IMO, should be replaced at the same time. O-rings not necessary unless you damage one, and crush washers are optional, although, if you you bought the bike used and think the forks may have been serviced, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple on hand in case some monkey really overtightened that bolt.

I'd also like to add, that Sonic Springs has a good product and excellent service, and their springs are about $80/pr.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I have done seals before on a '03 600RR and that was easy, so this should be similar. I prefer to just replace all of the seals that I touch when this is apart, I would hate to get it back together and have a used crush washer leak on me, I hate to do things twice. Maybe I will have to give service honda a call, I had honestly not thought of that.

• Member Contributer
Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I have done seals before on a '03 600RR and that was easy, so this should be similar.

Another tip: put a sheet of saran-wrap over the end of the tube when sliding the fork seals on.

Avoids cutting your new seal on the sharp edge of the tube.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I have done seals before on a '03 600RR and that was easy, so this should be similar. I prefer to just replace all of the seals that I touch when this is apart, I would hate to get it back together and have a used crush washer leak on me, I hate to do things twice. Maybe I will have to give service honda a call, I had honestly not thought of that.

Get the parts numbers from them, then order from Dave Lusk @ Mosites Motorsports, make sure you tell him you're a VFRD member. He sells us parts @ 10% over cost. :fing02:

(Check the "cheap warranty" thread in the Bargain Finder forum!)

Get the parts numbers from them, then order from Dave Lusk @ Mosites Motorsports, make sure you tell him you're a VFRD member. He sells us parts @ 10% over cost. :fing02:

(Check the "cheap warranty" thread in the Bargain Finder forum!)

:fing02: +1.gif :fing02: +1.gif

Beat me to it, Seb!

And a really nice guy too!

Greg

Good Luck. And when you get done, head East and stop in Iowa and you can do mine too!!! :fing02:

I'll buy the beer and a place to crash! :fing02:

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I just finshed mine and will second the motion on installing Sonic Springs. For just a few dollars and really no extra time it should be well worth it.

Also I have been dealing with http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/ and have been really pleased for OEM Honda parts. Communication is good and shipping has been what was expected. If you call in your order they can do much better on shipping charges than the website.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

There was a lot discussed in this thread, can anyone summarize what is needed to service/rebuild the forks on an 6th Gen.

thanks you,

Jim

Archived