5th Gen Front Fairings - Willing To Try Anything

Guest miotch

I t-boned a minivan on my 5th gen a few weeks ago. had her up on the front wheel in an endo stance at the time of impact, so the upper fairing is smushed, along with headlights, tank, instrument cluster, etc.

I'm contemplating a few ideas:

1. spend the money, put her back together with honda parts.

2. pull all the fairings, drop in some after market gauges and some speed triple headlights.

3. go with race fairings (not much out there that I can see so far...actually, nothing).

4. bolt up some other race fairings or other OEM fairings

my question is about #4. what works? I've been searching here, etc. and haven't found much yet. any help is appreciated.

oh, and just so we're clear, I'm expecting to paint, drill, etc. whatever I get if it's not OEM. I used to race, so I have lots of experience fitting plastics, painting, etc. I would love to have her back to stock, but I'm willing to franken her up. I'm way more into the ride than the appearance.

coupla thoughts:

*Nobody, I MEAN nobody I have seen, makes replacement plastic for gen5

*will a different fairing set up work with sideways radiator?

* will the expense of number 4 be less than buying new bits or rehabbing the old ones?

I SAY: put her back to rights and paint her flat black!!!!!!!!!!

And who am I, so wise in the ways of science, who can summon fire without flint or tinder?

...................some call me......................................................................tim?

coupla thoughts:

*Nobody, I MEAN nobody I have seen, makes replacement plastic for gen5

*will a different fairing set up work with sideways radiator?

* will the expense of number 4 be less than buying new bits or rehabbing the old ones?

I SAY: put her back to rights and paint her flat black!!!!!!!!!!

And who am I, so wise in the ways of science, who can summon fire without flint or tinder?

...................some call me......................................................................tim?

well... that's encouraging. let me just sell my car and call a Honda parts dealer. I might be able to buy a couple of the big parts.

Keep an eye on Ebay and put a wanted ad up here. I got all of my plastics that way. Got the upper in brand new condition, not even and small swirl or scratch on it for $100 and a side that is black for $40 all including shipping. They're out there, just gotta have a bit of patience.

• Member Contributer

DO NOT BUY YOUR PLASTIC FROM THE LOCAL DEALER!!!! You'll pay half the price for OEM's online.

• Member Contributer

I used insurance money to order new tank and plastic from Canada honda dealer. That way I could get the color I wanted.

If I had this problem I might check out e-bay for some CBR 600 or 1000 bodywork and fit it.

vince

Check out what member Lorenzo did with his:

bikepics-1310616-800.jpg

bikepics-1307327-800.jpg

bikepics-1309807-800.jpg

bikepics-1309808-800.jpg

His first VFRd blog entries:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...mp;showentry=95

At the bottom, click on the Next Newest » link to proceed forward thrlugh his other entries to the finished product.

Archived