Air Filter Guard - 6th Gen

Guest Pete McCrary

Question

Guest Pete McCrary

Is this thing really necessary? What does it do or accomplish? It is a PITA to reinstall and I'm not real comfortable about something of this nature just being jammed between the air box and the frame.

P8170007.jpg

13 answers to this question

Is this thing really necessary? What does it do or accomplish? It is a PITA to reinstall and I'm not real comfortable about something of this nature just being jammed between the air box and the frame.

P8170007.jpg

Keep it on your bike. Honda put it in there for a reason! I believe that acts like a heat sheild, keeping heated air from the front manifold and radiators from your air intakes/air box. cooler/denser air means better running and power from your engine.

Beck

95 VFR

Beck:

I agree with what you're saying to a point. Have to remember on a 6th Gen, the air comes in from the front of the bike, passes through the radiators on each side, and then exits out the side of the bike. Therefore if anything, this flap & foam device would trap more hot air under the tank.

I was thinking it would make more sense to leave it out as it really opens up the area directly in front of the air box to some cool air. I can see where it would aid in keeping rain and other debris out of the airbox and possibly act as a shield to quiten down the intake box noise but that's about it. It doesn't look very well thought out. It looks like a last minute change to the bike Honda needed to meet some noise or emissions requirement.

Like I said before, I think it's a little cheesy on Honda's part just to have an item held in place by jamming.

Pete

• Member Contributer

I reinstalled this part in my trash can with no ill effects. No temp rise. Nothing. I do agree that its there for a reason and you should leave it, just saying mine got pitched and the world is ok still. I think its special mystery foam. Warranty is voided once removed. :lurk:

Beck:

I agree with what you're saying to a point. Have to remember on a 6th Gen, the air comes in from the front of the bike, passes through the radiators on each side, and then exits out the side of the bike. Therefore if anything, this flap & foam device would trap more hot air under the tank.

I was thinking it would make more sense to leave it out as it really opens up the area directly in front of the air box to some cool air. I can see where it would aid in keeping rain and other debris out of the airbox and possibly act as a shield to quiten down the intake box noise but that's about it. It doesn't look very well thought out. It looks like a last minute change to the bike Honda needed to meet some noise or emissions requirement.

Like I said before, I think it's a little cheesy on Honda's part just to have an item held in place by jamming.

Pete

The fan on your 6th gen actually pulls in the air from the side for cooling when it kicks on, which can result in really hot air temps under the tank/airbox. The airflow should reverse when the fan is not operatiing, but the heat does build up in slower traffic when your cooling fan kicks in. My 4th gen has similar heat defelector panels made out of rubber and plastic as yours does, and the under fairing heat management has been very good (except for the RR). Even the much lamented NACA ducts which have related deflector panels under the rear end of the tank contribute to providing cooling for the areas around the rear pair of cylinders, as does the rear extractors at the tail. If you don't like the chintzy nature of the panels, maybe you should at least put in heat resistant foil backed materials to replace it. Again, I don't think Honda would have bothered with those things if they did not have any purpose. It would have been the first thing they would have cut out to save costs and increase profitability. JMOs

Beck

95 VFR

P8170007.jpg

helps keep heat off the rider, I like it

• Member Contributer

I have removed my filter for cleaning without messing with that thing. Was I suppose to clean that too? :fing02:

I reinstalled this part in my trash can with no ill effects. No temp rise. Nothing. I do agree that its there for a reason and you should leave it, just saying mine got pitched and the world is ok still. I think its special mystery foam. Warranty is voided once removed. :biggrin:

Doug:

My bike is long out of even it's extended warranty. I found that mine fit perfectly into the "Junk Removed from VFR box" perfectly.

I think it's there for noise reduction and/or maybe keeping the rider cool. I also ride an ST1300 so to me the VFR is not a hot to ride bike. I also learned on the ST1300 that a lot of ducting and crap can be removed and the bike still run cool and the rider be a lot cooler also.

I'm an engineer by living - so I know that there isn't a logical, orderly explanation as to why things are always done. I know in my business, 50% of the work we do is to comply with some local, state, or federal regulation - it doesn't have a thing to do with making what we design better or more efficient. I know Honda's engineers are confronted with the same dilemna in their designs. Trying to comply with some regulation.

Pete

I reinstalled this part in my trash can with no ill effects. No temp rise. Nothing. I do agree that its there for a reason and you should leave it, just saying mine got pitched and the world is ok still. I think its special mystery foam. Warranty is voided once removed. :goofy:

Doug:

My bike is long out of even it's extended warranty. I found that mine fit perfectly into the "Junk Removed from VFR box" perfectly.

I think it's there for noise reduction and/or maybe keeping the rider cool. I also ride an ST1300 so to me the VFR is not a hot to ride bike. I also learned on the ST1300 that a lot of ducting and crap can be removed and the bike still run cool and the rider be a lot cooler also.

I'm an engineer by living - so I know that there isn't a logical, orderly explanation as to why things are always done. I know in my business, 50% of the work we do is to comply with some local, state, or federal regulation - it doesn't have a thing to do with making what we design better or more efficient. I know Honda's engineers are confronted with the same dilemna in their designs. Trying to comply with some regulation.

Pete

Well, go ahead and throw it out then, but don't blame us if your bike blows up into a fiery fireball when you go peg that throttle and go 140MPH on your way to work! :biggrin: :dry:

You know that thing could also come in handy if you ever have to dig yourself and your bike out of quicksand.....

Beck - Architect

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

You really don't need it...if you don't ride much. I have found that it keeps "stuff" out of the air box. Of course, those who do not ride year around or in the rain probably don't need the protection. I don't have any problems with it when I install the air box.

• Member Contributer

Mine is in the trash also, what was left of it anyway. The foam was degrading and getting sucked up into the airbox in little bits and plugging up the filter. I don't know what it's purpose was, but i'm not missing it.

Archived