Help! Bike Died And Wouldn't Start For A Few Minutes

04asphalt

had the wire recall, valves adjusted(they didn't do the starter valve sync. :pissed:?? ) & CCT both replaced this spring then today the bike died going down the road and wouldn't turn over for several minutes

I have the original battery & plugs I plan to replace next week along with a fresh air filter before my trip next month but would any of those cause the bike to die going down the road and not even turn over for several minutes? as a side note been running much hotter then normal, I've had bad surging, a extreme dead spot at 5k rpm and a very abrupt vtec transition all that I never used to have before :squid:

That is symptomatic of a failing reg/rec on earlier Viffers, but I don't know whether 6th Gens have any real problems with that?

• Member Contributer

Since it's coming up on four years old now, I'd guess it's the battery. Out here, in Arizona, I'm happy if I can get two years out of a motorcycle battery. I've seen batteries quit entirely and then have enough for a couple of cranks after resting/cooling down. The battery is the first thing I'd check.

Good luck.

-Steve

Speaking of Battery, I've felt mine has degrade over the past several months, even though it reads over 13 volt immediately after a ride.

'

last night I had the lights on for about 10 minutes trying to fiquer out how to set the clock, after words the battery had 12,4 volt.

I thought it should start. next morning it was dead, had to charge it all the way to 12,9 volt before it would even turn over.

happened again today :biggrin:

could it be the kickstand sensor, there is a lot of build-up from chain lube? there is absolutly nothing when I push the starter then after putting the stand down/up a couple times it started again with no problems the rest of the day :blink:

• Member Contributer

When it dies, have you tried shorting the main relay terminals. Thinking it's the battery, but COULD be the relay. Time for a new battery, anyhow, really.

When it dies, have you tried shorting the main relay terminals. Thinking it's the battery, but COULD be the relay. Time for a new battery, anyhow, really.

I'll grab one tomorrow when I get plugs and filter :blink: hope that cures it.

• Member Contributer

I'll grab one tomorrow when I get plugs and filter :blink: hope that cures it.

Shoot for the battery first, unless you have $80, to blow on the relay.

• Member Contributer
happened again today :biggrin:

could it be the kickstand sensor, there is a lot of build-up from chain lube? there is absolutly nothing when I push the starter then after putting the stand down/up a couple times it started again with no problems the rest of the day :blink:

Even with the kick stand down, the bike should start in neutral. Was the bike in gear or was it in neutral when it wouldn't start?

• Member Contributer

Aheem. ????????????????????????????????

happened again today :fing02:

could it be the kickstand sensor, there is a lot of build-up from chain lube? there is absolutly nothing when I push the starter then after putting the stand down/up a couple times it started again with no problems the rest of the day :fing02:

Even with the kick stand down, the bike should start in neutral. Was the bike in gear or was it in neutral when it wouldn't start?

yep, it may of just been a coincidence but that's what it it did. acted just like the stand was down and in gear.

• Member Contributer

My voltage regulator failed 700 miles from home on my 04, made it home after several jumpstarts! It would run ok as long as it was kept over 2000rpm . That was right around 46,000 miles, dealer fixed under warranty and still gave me a loaner while they waited for parts!

That's was my only trip through Deals Gap...and it was raining....I think the Ozarks are much better, less traffic!

Patrick

ps. my dad rides a Concours...nothing like getting jumped by an old bike, with a cut off extension cord to boot! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Did you buy stuff? Did you test anything? Relay clicking?

just went out and started the bike then shut it off and left key on to set the clock. a couple minutes later tried to start and no FI check noise. switched on/off but still no FI check noise, all the lights came on and when I push the starter nothing????????????????????????????

still waiting on parts so I'm hoping it's just the battery??

I'll grab one tomorrow when I get plugs and filter :cool: hope that cures it.

Shoot for the battery first, unless you have $80, to blow on the relay.

extended warranty still good :biggrin: de-scaled the battery for now. will the battery be covered? still problems with the rectifier on the 04's? lights get brighter when the engine is revved :goofy: ? short main relay ??? (I'm ignorant)

Sounds like just what mine did when the RR went out. Go to www.electrosport.com and download/print their electrical flowchart. It gives you the step by step instructions on diagnosing your electrical problems. It worked great for me and everyone I have recommended it to. I learned about it here of course. :cool: Get a good multi meter and use the chart. It will get you through this.

Archived