90 Degree Valve Stem (again)

DenT

The amount of torque they specify to install them is very small. If you don't have a quarter inch drive torque wrench you're not gonna get the torque value correct.

Also, I found that I had to turn down a 14 mm socket slightly to get it to drop into the recess on the rim and completely go over the nut on the stem.

Pah...you just wanted an excuse to use your lathe!

I have (almost) no need for these, so I of course must have them! My fear is the gas station hose one...I hate their watery air anyway (seriously, a $1.25 for air???), last thing I need is to not be able to get any in my tire when I need it most.

I've got the Ariete valve stems on my '01, and I love them. The only thing is, my "bike guy" is a bit rough some times, and I supervised his fitting of them, following Veefer800Canuck's instructions. They're now a wee bit loose, so they lose a wee bit of air, and can rotate a bit. Otherwise, they're very good (and should be, at NZ$49/pair).

They've been on the bike a few months now ( a year, perhaps?) I'd recommend them over the other valve stems I looked at, most of which looked pretty agricultural. However, they are alloy, so can be fragile if treated roughly.

hmm what happened to them? i'd be royally ticked off if i spent the money for them and they failed to do one of the 3 things they are meant to, add air, hold air, release air (only when made to do so)

The issue I find, the techs remove a valve core, and may reinstall a used core off the floor, that can be instant leak.

Its a shame if that happens to one of these $30 valve stems. I wouldnt trust the same core going back in unless you do tires yourself.

I was going to buy a set of metal stems(non angled), thinking life time trouble free, the tire guy told me he has far more trouble with metal stems leaking on initial install than rubber, I put them back on the shelve.

But I understand why the angled ones are popular if using gas station hosing for filling

• Member Contributer

Hey, I just remembered another option for y'all. If you would prefer a genuine Honda part, check out the parts fiche from your favorite OEM supplier for the valve stem off a PC800. Mine is '96 and it has 90 degree metal stems direct from Mother Honda! Service Honda has 'em for under $10. They also have some sort of plastic holder doohicky that goes with it. That goes for another $3.12 at Service. $12.26 for a one wheel set, $24.52 for both wheels. With shipping, you're probably better off with Kurvey Girl, but the option is there.

My only disclaimer is that I have no idea the diameter of these valve stems, nor do I know that they will fit any sportbike wheels. Gotta figure that Honda wouldn't really want to try another diameter valve stem hole, but you never know. The rate at which the PC consumes tires means I won't have the opportunity to take a look in there for quite some time, so can't help you there either.

• Member Contributer

I bought a Snap On valve core tool that is preset to the installation torque. Problem it has with rubber stems is that it won't go to full torque before the stem spins in the rim. Plus is is not designed for sportbike dual rotor wheels, and is kinda tricky to fit in there.

I've been waiting for the opportunity to fit my KG Bridgeport/Ariete red valve stem in the RC51 Marvic wheels. Might go do that today, since I finally have some new trackday rubber for it! :biggrin:

Archived