Riding Solo On The Coronado Trail

• Member Contributer

Highway 191 (Old Highway 666/ The Coronado Trail) between Morenci and Springerville is 100 miles of twists and turns and scenic beauty. It is also 100 miles of unpredictable mountain weather, deer, elk, rocks, sand. It's more of an "adventure" road than a "railin'" road. This was my second time out on this road, so I knew what to expect. I'm not too good at just typing away a ride report, so I'll let the photo's do most of the talking....

This is how you begin your 191 experience, at the Morenci Mine. To put the picture into perspective... the little trucks you see on the bottom right, are actually those gigantic dump trucks.

SoloTrip2008041.jpg

This is probably to most popular photo spot on 191... some switchbacks just outside of the mine... it's all twisties from here... well, almost.

SoloTrip2008042.jpg

This is the only straight on the 100 mile journey... it lasts for maybe 2 miles. It's a nice little grassy area surrounded by Junipers.

SoloTrip2008043.jpg

SoloTrip2008046.jpg

This is the first vista that I stopped for. The amount of new growth since the last time I was up here (a year ago) is simply amazing. It's definitely been a very wet Monsoon season in Arizona.

SoloTrip2008055.jpg

SoloTrip2008054.jpg

SoloTrip2008057.jpg

Evidently there was a monster of a fire since the last time I had been up. Even in the "greener" area's, the trunks of the trees were still burnt.

SoloTrip2008059.jpg

Here was one of the worst corners... completely loaded with gravel and sand :goofy:

SoloTrip2008067.jpg

...Some rain I was hoping to avoid...

SoloTrip2008070.jpg

... It didn't work out in my favor.. sad.gif

SoloTrip2008072.jpg

Tried to duplicate a pic from my first time out there... it was taken at the same spot, mile marker 231.

SoloTrip2008077.jpg

Wallpaper.jpg

Here is the Hannagan Meadow area.

SoloTrip2008080.jpg

SoloTrip2008084.jpg

I had a few shots of the Alpine area but they didn't come too clear. All in all, even with the rain and debris, it was worth the ride out there, and probably always will be. :musik20:

• Member Contributer

Some great pics Daniel, glad ya made it back without any problems :ph34r:

How many miles for the International weekend cruise??

• Member Contributer
Some great pics Daniel, glad ya made it back without any problems :ph34r:

How many miles for the International weekend cruise??

About 850 miles

Archived