Exhaust Qestions And Ideas

Alien VFR

• Member Contributer

Ok, so now that I've been playing around with exhaust systems, I've got some questions accross the board.

First, can anyone show me a source for baffles that will fit in these pipes? (pic below) Seb said maybe jegs, but I looked and didn't find anything. I'd like to take a little bite out of the sound.

IDEA: let me inow what you guys think.

Keeping the setup I have right now, could I replace the cat with a small muffler in the cats original location that would reduce the noise level but keep the same look? An added benefit would be keeping weight and cg low on the bike. Is there a small muffler out there? Lawnmower, snowblower, etc? Would this even work in-line like this? I have a welder that can bend pipe and weld almost anything, so I'm just trying to toss around unique ideas...

Also, I have a set of 08 Yamaha R1 cans. The shape of the can and it's original heat shield will fit snugly in the original exhaust positions, even utilizing the existing R1 hangar. The shape of the shield goes perfect with the outline of the fairing too. I'm considering having another midpipe made up to suit these cans. I'd like to see how they sound (probably similar to stock VFR cans), and maybe have them gutted.

Given that a midpipe can be welded up cheap, and there are a million different kinds of aftermarket and stock exhaust cans from all sorts of bikes for sale cheap, the inexpensive exhaust options are somewhat endless.

Depending on how that works out, I may sell the current setup and my stock exhaust here on VFRD. Anyone tentatively interested, let me know.

alienartifacts002.jpg

alienartifacts003.jpg

alienartifacts004.jpg

alienartifacts005.jpg

I wonder if Staintune bolt-in baffles would fit? If you remind me, I can measure mine for you if you remind me.

There is also a company that sells a "race conversion" for R1 exhausts, comes with new endcaps, packing, and a conventional perforated steel core like in a regular aftermarket exhaust.

Guest vfrrider

Alien,

For an idea, look at the collector from a 90-93. Wasn't much of a muffler, but does have a little screen in there, maybe something along those lines. Say open up the Cat, cut out the core, replace it with something along the SS screen idea, or 2.

An idea.

Larry

VFRrider

I like a lot of your current thoughts and I was looking at R1 cans myself, but i would shorten them some.

Also replacing the cat with some small muffler might be a good idea if you can find something adequate.

I don't know of any baffles for the 4 tip ends, but I bet there's something out there and any reduction in noise from the straight pipe set-up will benefit all. :fing02:

I like a lot of your current thoughts and I was looking at R1 cans myself, but i would shorten them some.

Also replacing the cat with some small muffler might be a good idea if you can find something adequate.

I don't know of any baffles for the 4 tip ends, but I bet there's something out there and any reduction in noise from the straight pipe set-up will benefit all. :cool:

If you do R1 cans, I want my titanium sleeves back... :fing02:

I don't know of any baffles for the 4 tip ends, but I bet there's something out there and any reduction in noise from the straight pipe set-up will benefit all. :fing02:

If you do R1 cans, I want my titanium sleeves back... :fing02:

I Googled these guys..... http://lachoppers.com/perf.php

It's how I gutted my upper Laser cans.... :musik20: :491: Very cheap, I thought. :cool:

DSCF0407.jpg

Don't know if this will help you. :unsure:

I'd be interested to know what you decide to do with the cat. I currently have a 5th gen. set on mine.

Greg

• Member Contributer

If you do R1 cans, I want my titanium sleeves back... :beer:

I Googled these guys..... http://lachoppers.com/perf.php

It's how I gutted my upper Laser cans.... :musik20: :491: Very cheap, I thought. :warranty:

DSCF0407.jpg

Don't know if this will help you. :unsure:

I'd be interested to know what you decide to do with the cat. I currently have a 5th gen. set on mine.

Greg

One of those, in your up-pipe, ought to do it.

What I did on my VTR1000 (the PO had cut the end caps out) was go to a muffler shop, and get them to make up some spuds, similar to those fitted to Staintunes. I measured the internal diameter (50mm), then had them weld two sections of 50mm pipe concentric to a length of 25mm pipe. I then cut this in half to leave two 'spuds' with an internal pipe that was too long. I then cut this back till it had the right amount of sound reduction. Hard to explain in words, but here's what the Staintune spuds look like: Staintune spuds

Mine were the same, except in mild steel, and straight.

It would be great if you could keep the zorst ends you've got - they look great!

Archived