I Am Afraid...

Guest DrBob

Guest DrBob

I have been looking at all of the threads about gutting or partially gutting my exhaust. I really want to do it, but I am afraid that I will regret it later. I really want a little throatier sound, and I lack the funds for a Staintune or other high $ aftermarket system. Therefore, hacking the stock pipes is my best option...

I guess I am looking for some encouragement (or discouragement) from people who have done this mod. Does anyone regret doing it? Will I lose anything performance wise? Am I going to ruin the engine in 2500 miles?

Can anyone think of one good reason why I should just leave it alone?

HELP ME!!!

Thanks.

I have been looking at all of the threads about gutting or partially gutting my exhaust. I really want to do it, but I am afraid that I will regret it later. I really want a little throatier sound, and I lack the funds for a Staintune or other high $ aftermarket system. Therefore, hacking the stock pipes is my best option...

I guess I am looking for some encouragement (or discouragement) from people who have done this mod. Does anyone regret doing it? Will I lose anything performance wise? Am I going to ruin the engine in 2500 miles?

HELP ME!!!

Thanks.

Just do it. If you don't like it, you can have my stock cans for the price of shipping. They're just taking up room in my garage at this point...

HELP ME!!!

Thanks.

Just do it. If you don't like it, you can have my stock cans for the price of shipping. They're just taking up room in my garage at this point...

Toddulu,

Great offer and thanks... If I were to put pipes off of a red bike on mine, I bet I would pick up 15 mph on the top end.

I did the I guess you call it "partial gut" back almost 5000 miles ago. I had a set of leo vince pipes for a few hundred miles before, but had to sell them in a financial crunch situation......but I still wanted the throatier sound, but at a bargain price. So I did the mod with the dremel and hole saw where you cut out the small endcaps, which essentially gives you about a 2/3 full gut, by which I mean about 2/3 the loudness of a full gut. When I first did it, I thought it was a little loud, but after 500 miles or so I got used to it and now would never go back. Its not quite as much of a deep tone as the leo vince's and maybe just a touch louder at idle, but otherwise, very very similar sound, and it only cost about $25 to do compared to $650 for the leo's. And as mentioned above, if you don't like it, I'm sure there are lots of people with aftermarket exhausts that have the stock cans just laying around that I'm sure you could get on the cheap.....oh, and I didn't see any preformance gain or loss after doing it.......and my engine still runs fine 5000 miles later :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
I did the I guess you call it "partial gut" back almost 5000 miles ago. I had a set of leo vince pipes for a few hundred miles before, but had to sell them in a financial crunch situation......but I still wanted the throatier sound, but at a bargain price. So I did the mod with the dremel and hole saw where you cut out the small endcaps, which essentially gives you about a 2/3 full gut, by which I mean about 2/3 the loudness of a full gut. When I first did it, I thought it was a little loud, but after 500 miles or so I got used to it and now would never go back. Its not quite as much of a deep tone as the leo vince's and maybe just a touch louder at idle, but otherwise, very very similar sound, and it only cost about $25 to do compared to $650 for the leo's. And as mentioned above, if you don't like it, I'm sure there are lots of people with aftermarket exhausts that have the stock cans just laying around that I'm sure you could get on the cheap.....oh, and I didn't see any preformance gain or loss after doing it.......and my engine still runs fine 5000 miles later :rolleyes:

:biggrin: Same as above, just go ahead and do it!

Having ridden behind billiyjackjimbob when he had gutted cans, all I can say is that it was painfully loud, even with ear plugs. Maybe a partial gut won't be as bad. If you routinely ride with others, plan on them making you sweeper after they get tired of riding behind you.

• Member Contributer

Having ridden behind billiyjackjimbob when he had gutted cans, all I can say is that it was painfully loud, even with ear plugs. Maybe a partial gut won't be as bad. If you routinely ride with others, plan on them making you sweeper after they get tired of riding behind you.

Hmm, 1st I've heard that, I did a full gut, to me at 60mph I can't even hear them over the wind noise.

No one has ever complained about the noise, and I'm not a sweeper, :rolleyes: next time out with others I'll have to ask tho.

If it bothers them guess they'll either have to get faster and get ahead, or stay further back than they are now :biggrin: tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

Hmm, 1st I've heard that, I did a full gut, to me at 60mph I can't even hear them over the wind noise.

No one has ever complained about the noise, and I'm not a sweeper, next time out with others I'll have to ask tho.

Yeah gotta agree with Kent on this one Earthshake, i've ridden behind him on more than 1 occasion and when I could keep up with him :rolleyes: I couldn't hear em. Maybe billyjackjimbob had a different gut job that created a louder pitch. At slow speeds you can hear em at about the same db as any aftermarkets but at highway speeds ya don't hear em. Toodulu put up a can't beat offer, a win win situation in my books. Goodluck

Hmm, 1st I've heard that, I did a full gut, to me at 60mph I can't even hear them over the wind noise. ))

I hear my stock exhaust well over wind noise, and I have some hearing damage, how much you got ? >G<

• Member Contributer
Hmm, 1st I've heard that, I did a full gut, to me at 60mph I can't even hear them over the wind noise. ))

I hear my stock exhaust well over wind noise, and I have some hearing damage, how much you got ? >G<

Guess the mp3 in the headset has something to do with it :laugh: then there is that age thing too tongue.gif

All I was sayin, to me a full gut is prolly 1/2 as loud as an aftermarket set of pipes, flame on :goofy: :biggrin: :ph34r: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Member Contributer

billyjackjimbob didn't weld the end caps back on the bike, which makes it much louder. He put the chrome covers back on the end, but there wasn't anything behind them. You can't compare this with the gut job to what others have done.

DrBob - my gutted pipes made my exhaust smell even leaner than before the gut. So I added a fuel pressure regulator to up the fuel PSI a little. With the offer toddulu made to you, you have no reason to not give it a shot.

billyjackjimbob didn't weld the end caps back on the bike, which makes it much louder. He put the chrome covers back on the end, but there wasn't anything behind them. You can't compare this with the gut job to what others have done.

DrBob - my gutted pipes made my exhaust smell even leaner than before the gut. So I added a fuel pressure regulator to up the fuel PSI a little. With the offer toddulu made to you, you have no reason to not give it a shot.

Gradus, did you do a full gut (baffles and all) or the partial gut (cutting the inner pipes with a Dremel tool). I would probably just do the Dremel tool mod. Is the fuel pressure regualtor a big deal to buy and install? Did it hurt your mpg?

BJJB's bike also caught on fire. :biggrin:

I know it's unrelated but I'm just playing.

Stock exhaust are a dime a dozen around here. Grab a drill, chop 'em up and see if you like it. If not, you have options. Take the pipes that are the price of shipping, cut them up and then you won't feel bad about cutting up your exhaust if it makes you feel better. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Gradus, did you do a full gut (baffles and all) or the partial gut (cutting the inner pipes with a Dremel tool). I would probably just do the Dremel tool mod. Is the fuel pressure regualtor a big deal to buy and install? Did it hurt your mpg?

I did the full gut with a hammer and chisel. I also installed the fuel pressure regulator myself. I bought the FPR used, but they're only about $100. There are also other benefits to the FPR such as the engine will pull at lower RPMs and pull stronger. Also feels smoother across the power band. I'd call the improvements very subtle, nothing drastic. Also had to go back and adjust the idle down after adding the FPR. But this is also a poor man's way to get the benefits of a Power Commander. MPG did decline some, but I'm still ok on the VFR rides and have longer range than my friends on Ducatis.

I haven't heard of anyone else who felt they had to richen the fuel mixture, but it smelled like I was burning valves. No concers about that after the FPR. I'm mechanically handicapped, so anyone can do these changes.

Here's where you buy one. Reviews are mixed, but 100% solved my goal of richening the fuel mixture.

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?...products_id=557

• Member Contributer

Dude, gut the pipe.

Let the music begin! :goofy:

I've got a stock pipe hangin' around as well. :biggrin:

Toddulu,

Great offer and thanks... If I were to put pipes off of a red bike on mine, I bet I would pick up 15 mph on the top end.

not really, Todd's bike isn't really that fast. It could be. If Todd was to join a fitness club and start dating JENNY CRAIG... :goofy:

Toddulu,

not really, Todd's bike isn't really that fast. It could be. If Todd was to join a fitness club and start dating JENNY CRAIG... :fing02:

1723_.gif

see, it doesn't even look fast... (not really fair though, being surrounded by THE ULTIMATE COLOR CHOICE CHAMPION)

gallery_13384_3885_227709.jpg

06.01.08.a1.jpg

Todd can probably get more chicks on the red one though!!!

• Member Contributer

Not true.Not only has it one the Ultimate Color Chioce Award, it is a proven fact that women between the ages of 19 - 24 find the Captain America colors a turn on. :fing02: gallery_13129_3632_110920.jpg

DSC01891.JPG

Not true.Not only has it one the Ultimate Color Chioce Award, it is a proven fact that women between the ages of 19 - 24 find the Captain America colors a turn on. :fing02: gallery_13129_3632_110920.jpg

DSC01891.JPG

and a class favorite amongst polar bears...

gallery_13384_3869_126085.jpg

bigbear1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Boy they do look good in any background. Now if we could only find a pic of one near a Shell station .............. tongue.gif

DSC01891.JPG

It is a proven fact that women between 76 and 84 are most attracted my Pearl White '06. Most of these women have swollen and discolored ankles and blue hair. Riding 2-up with one of these women- at highway speeds- gives the appearance that I have an '07 RWB and that I am going much faster than I really am.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to do it...

I have seen 3 different methods on the boards:

1) Drill out the center pipe with a 1 inch hole saw and dremel out a small section.

2) Drill out the both the large and small diameter pipes and dremel out a small section.

3) Cut the can, cut out the pipes, debaffle (or not debaffle), and weld back.

I drilled out the center pipe with the 1 inch hole saw. I probably dremeled out a smaller section than most people, but it seems to be alright.

I :squid: the sound. At idle, it is kind of mellow like a purring tiger... Up the revs = roaring lion.

The real test will be Monday morning when I fire the beast up in the garage. If I wake up my 3 year old, it is too loud. If she stays asleep, :pissed:

Archived