A Different R/r Question

Guest 1LuckyDude

Guest 1LuckyDude

I have a 10k mile 93 that is pretty much original. It still has the stock R/R in it with no signs of any wiring issues overheating. So that is a good sign that it's not gone bad or torched any wires yet.

My question is...if I put a fan on the stock R/R, will that be enough or go ahead and get a finned R/R. Seems if I put the computer fan on it that would be better than just a finned one. But the experience here is what I am seeking. :fing02:

I do plan on upgrading the wiring while I have it ripped apart for inspection/cleaning. I'm a firm believer of preventive maintenance.

• Member Contributer

Hello:

No, I do not have the DIRECT experience you are seeking (on a '93, that is), but I'd argue that "the more, the merrier." That is to say, why not do both - both an R/R with the heat sink fins, AND the computer fan? Every little thing you can do helps.

I added a computer fan to my OEM (Shindengen) R/R, and it seems to help. The Shindengen for my bike (an '89 FK) has the heat sink "fins."

I also added a voltmeter, which I consider invaluable. It gives you an opportunity to watch the voltages while you are underway; HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

rctwentyfour

• Member Contributer

Hello,

back in 1997 I strapped a CPU heatsink (was it Pentium II ? :fing02: ) to my 4th Gen. Never looked back since......

ymmv

I guess I am simply asking that if I can keep the original one cool, will it be OK? I will for sure get a spare to have on hand though.

• Member Contributer
I guess I am simply asking that if I can keep the original one cool, will it be OK?
Hello:

Yes, your question may be "simple," but the answer is not. NOBODY on this discussion group can diagnose your riding. There are a lot of variables; that is, a lot of questions:

How hard/fast do you ride?

How hot is the ambient temperature when you are riding?

Do you often get caught up in stop-n-go traffic?

How healthy is the rest of your charging system?

( a ) Stator working properly?

( b ) Connectors clean and free of corrosion?

( c ) Battery fully-charged?

( d ) Grounds solid, clean on your bike?

So, maybe yes – maybe the fan alone will work for you; maybe not. If you manage to keep ANY of the R/Rs on the market cool, they will last longer. It is heat that kills 'em off.

rctwentyfour

I guess I am simply asking that if I can keep the original one cool, will it be OK?
Hello:

Yes, your question may be "simple," but the answer is not. NOBODY on this discussion group can diagnose your riding. There are a lot of variables; that is, a lot of questions:

So, maybe yes – maybe the fan alone will work for you; maybe not. If you manage to keep ANY of the R/Rs on the market cool, they will last longer. It is heat that kills 'em off.

rctwentyfour

Thats' a pretty simple answer for me. I already plan on cleaning all the contacts, upgrade the wiring and such. So I'll just plan on doing a fan and getting another R/R to keep on hand. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Hello:

rctwentyfour

Thats' a pretty simple answer for me. I already plan on cleaning all the contacts, upgrade the wiring and such. So I'll just plan on doing a fan and getting another R/R to keep on hand. :rolleyes:

Been there done that. Think you would be better off with the Gixxer RR and a fan.

vince

If it's working fine now, it wont hurt to try the fan or heat sink. If it has made it this far, I would hate to mess with it. Be prepare with a good finned one.

• Member Contributer

A PC fan blowing air onto a potted surface doesn't seem like it would have much of an effect. :laugh: There's no real evidence that it does/no real evidence that it doesn't. However, it is clear that the OEM reg/rec wasn't designed for air cooling, hence, no fins. But go ahead and do it if it makes you feel better... :fing02:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
A PC fan blowing air onto a potted surface doesn't seem like it would have much of an effect. :fing02: There's no real evidence that it does/no real evidence that it doesn't. However, it is clear that the OEM reg/rec wasn't designed for air cooling, hence, no fins. But go ahead and do it if it makes you feel better... :fing02:

Ciao,

Hello:

Actually, the way I have the computer case fan installed is that it is drawing heat off from the R/R. To be honest, I've not ridden it enough to know with certainty that this modification will work over the long-haul (I have the bike up on stands at the moment - re-jetting the carbs). All I can report is "so far, so good."

rctwentyfour

Archived