Electrical Problems - Could It Be My Pgm

Dan

• Member Contributer

I am STILL having electrical problems with my bike.

The symptoms are the the engine feels like it is choked by about 20-30% as far as power loss goes. On occasion full power will come back on to the bike and it will run awesome. The problem is persistent through ALL throttle positions. In other words, pegging the throttle does not eliminate the problem. The problem is there from start to end and everything in between.

I checked across the terminals and it is charging like it should. My shop tells me that it does NOT sound like the RR.

I have run through more than one tank of gas and am pretty sure it is not the gas.

My mechanic at the shop seems to think it is my PGM (aka CDI, Computer). I checked the price of that part and it's $795.00. YIKES.

I have to start thinking a little bit ahead here. I would hope that I can find a PGM for less than that. Perhaps going after a used one is a worthwhile idea. I'm not sure. Ron Ayers has them for less. I imagine there's someone on here with a wrecked 5th gen who might be willing to sell me theirs. If so, post up or PM me. I'd like to get ahead of this if I can.

Anyway, I'd appreciate opinions. I guess I'll know a lot more after the shop diagnoses the problem. Until then, it's be nice to have some idea of what I am going to do if it does wind up being the PGM.

Best,

Dan

• Member Contributer

The symptoms are the the engine feels like it is choked by about 20-30% as far as power loss goes. On occasion full power will come back on to the bike and it will run awesome. The problem is persistent through ALL throttle positions. In other words, pegging the throttle does not eliminate the problem. The problem is there from start to end and everything in between.

I checked across the terminals and it is charging like it should. My shop tells me that it does NOT sound like the RR.

I have run through more than one tank of gas and am pretty sure it is not the gas.

My mechanic at the shop seems to think it is my PGM (aka CDI, Computer). I checked the price of that part and it's $795.00. YIKES.

I have to start thinking a little bit ahead here. I would hope that I can find a PGM for less than that. Perhaps going after a used one is a worthwhile idea. I'm not sure. Ron Ayers has them for less. I imagine there's someone on here with a wrecked 5th gen who might be willing to sell me theirs. If so, post up or PM me. I'd like to get ahead of this if I can.

Anyway, I'd appreciate opinions. I guess I'll know a lot more after the shop diagnoses the problem. Until then, it's be nice to have some idea of what I am going to do if it does wind up being the PGM.

Best,

Dan

I hope that's not the case. Can't they hook it up to a computer to see what is going on?

• Member Contributer

I would suggest fuel supply issues. Potentially either:

• Fuel pump blockage
  • Fuel pump electrical fault
  • Fuel pressure regulator faulty
  • Throttle Position Sensor faulty

If your FI light does not flash multiple times when you turn the ignition key on, the ECU/PCM has no data indicating a failed EFI sensor. Most of the above problems are undetectable by the ECU except for the faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), but even then not every possible fault will be detected. I don't think it's your ECU/PCM - it will always send the same signals to the injectors and coils based on the data it receives from the various sensors. As I say, it is more likely something OTHER than the ECU has a problem and I would start by checking the fuel pump for blockages or faults.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for that info. I'll begin looking into all of it. Actually, I'll attempt to point my dealer in that direction. I could probably check the fuel pump myself but the rest of the stuff I'm not so sure about.

Regardless, your logic makes sense and gives me hope.

Best,

Dan

Dan, go ahead and download the manual here if you don't already have one, and check your ECU for fault codes. Hopefully it's just a bad sensor somewhere, like the one on the airbox, or an O2 sensor on the header...

Archived