Ride Position Question

snoman181

Question

• Member Contributer

Are there any standard geometries or measurements to determine the best ride position? I know the answer is probably "whatever makes you the most comfortable while still allowing full access to all controls in case of URH (Unforeseen Road Hazards - Includes inattentive cage drivers)." The reason I ask is that I installed Helibar risers last year and found they made a huge difference to my comfort due to the change in ride position. I am 6' tall and have been considering lowering the foot pegs. I don't feel terribly uncomfortable or fatigued after long rides, but I am curious to know if lowering the pegs would provide a more comfortable ride position.

Since there's probably no real way to find out other than to try the mod, I'm curious to have the opinions of the members in this community. If the consensus it to lower, then the next question is "how much?"

Are there any kits out there that provide a range, or are they all fixed distance, meaning you have to make the choice of how far to lower the pegs before ordering the kit?

Any recommended kits?

Thanks!

14 answers to this question

Most taller riders will enjoy the room of lowered pegs.

You have two options at least:

BLS (member) makes and sells very nice lowering blocks that allow the use of stock pegs. $80

Buell pegs from a ? (forgot which model) can be used to accomplish the same with slight mods and cost around $40.

Both can be found by using the search box. :biggrin:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...p;hl=buell+pegs

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...amp;hl=lowering

• Member Contributer

I'm 6' 0" tall and find the riding position without any mods, perfect for me. Make sure you're riding with proper body position and weight distribution before doing mods would be my suggestion. More info. on that can be found with the search function.

Even though we're the same height, we most certainly have different inseams etc. Riding uncomfortable is not a good thing in any regard..... :biggrin:

I'm 6' 0" tall and find the riding position without any mods of perfect for me. Make sure you're riding with proper body position and weight distribution before doing mods would be my suggestion. More info. on that can be found with the search function.

Even though we're the same height, we most certainly have different inseams etc. Riding uncomfortable is not a good thing in any regard..... :biggrin:

I will agree. I am 6' 2" and find the stock position a perfect balance between sport riding and relaxed riding. Remember if you lower the pegs you will have a little less clearence. If you dont ride much in the mountains the benefit of comfort could be worth it.

• Member Contributer
I'm 6' 0" tall and find the riding position without any mods of perfect for me. Make sure you're riding with proper body position and weight distribution before doing mods would be my suggestion. More info. on that can be found with the search function.

Even though we're the same height, we most certainly have different inseams etc. Riding uncomfortable is not a good thing in any regard..... :fing02:

I will agree. I am 6' 2" and find the stock position a perfect balance between sport riding and relaxed riding. Remember if you lower the pegs you will have a little less clearence. If you dont ride much in the mountains the benefit of comfort could be worth it.

Even at 5'7", I had a set of BLS's peg extenders on my 06 VFR.....made a lot of difference on long rides. Had to take the peg feelers off down at the Gap Store though. They kept bumping my feet up, and I've never really liked the "bumped-peg-foot-feeling" very much. Kinda' disrupts my concentration............... :biggrin:

Even at 5'7", I had a set of BLS's peg extenders on my 06 VFR.....made a lot of difference on long rides. Had to take the peg feelers off down at the Gap Store though. They kept bumping my feet up, and I've never really liked the "bumped-peg-foot-feeling" very much. Kinda' disrupts my concentration............... :unsure:

Yeah, but you mounted them upside down so you could reach the pegs easier! Why there still dragging I have no idea! :rolleyes:

BTW I plan to add the Buell pegs I've had sitting around for over a year or two because my knees are junk for many reasons and my 400 mile avg. day wears them down every time. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Even at 5'7", I had a set of BLS's peg extenders on my 06 VFR.....made a lot of difference on long rides. Had to take the peg feelers off down at the Gap Store though. They kept bumping my feet up, and I've never really liked the "bumped-peg-foot-feeling" very much. Kinda' disrupts my concentration............... :unsure:

Yeah, but you mounted them upside down so you could reach the pegs easier! Why there still dragging I have no idea! :rolleyes:

BTW I plan to add the Buell pegs I've had sitting around for over a year or two because my knees are junk for many reasons and my 400 mile avg. day wears them down every time. :unsure:

...upside down......."FUNNY"...................... :dry: ................. tongue.gif

You will see a difference.......Larry's made a big difference on mine on 400+ mile days........ :fing02:

Aren't the Buell pegs easy to break if you just drop the bike......you've been known to be pretty clumsy with yours even in your garage (this is where you insert the picture again)............. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Getting :unsure: ly here isn't it??? :rolleyes:

Ride the bike...without the high heeled shoes.. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Getting :unsure: ly here isn't it??? :unsure:

Ride the bike...without the high heeled shoes.. :fing02:

I look good in heels............... :rolleyes:

...upside down......."FUNNY"...................... :dry: ................. tongue.gif

You will see a difference.......Larry's made a big difference on mine on 400+ mile days........ :fing02:

Wow, that must have been a hassle mounting them upside down... shoulda check out Kanadian Ken's other product line... (mighta been before your time Skuut) :dry:

Snoman, sorry it wasn't more helpful, but I am working on those templates for ya. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Wow, that must have been a hassle mounting them upside down... shoulda check out Kanadian Ken's other product line... (mighta been before your time Skuut) :unsure:

...musta' been......enlighten me............ :rolleyes:

Wow, that must have been a hassle mounting them upside down... shoulda check out Kanadian Ken's other product line... (mighta been before your time Skuut) :fing02:

His kids wanted desperately to go for a ride on the back of his VFR... but they couldn't reach the pegs... so he made up some nice wooden blocks and zip tied them to the rear pegs! :unsure: It was funny because BLS was still developing his at the time, Ken did a little "marketing". :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Wow, that must have been a hassle mounting them upside down... shoulda check out Kanadian Ken's other product line... (mighta been before your time Skuut) :fing02:

His kids wanted desperately to go for a ride on the back of his VFR... but they couldn't reach the pegs... so he made up some nice wooden blocks and zip tied them to the rear pegs! :unsure: It was funny because BLS was still developing his at the time, Ken did a little "marketing". :unsure:

THANKS....goin' to Lowes. I'm thinkin' pressure treated 4x4 blocks might do it......I owe Ya' a beer next time SEB............ :goofy:

• Member Contributer

the best riding position for you is the one you are comfortable with

• Member Contributer

Snoman, sorry it wasn't more helpful, but I am working on those templates for ya. :unsure:

Hey Seb, no worries! We've been getting nothing but rain here in Ontario pretty much on a daily basis. So far the viffer's only been taken out for short trips and bi-weekly washings. Gone are the days when I used 2-wheels for daily transit regardless of the forecast. I'm still interested in the templates whenever you get a chance.

Back on the topic of foot pegs, I've decided to look at a couple of sets of Buell pegs. N006.1AD (for XB models) and N0520.1AD (LH) & N0521.1AD (RH). Odd that the former are sold as a pair and the latter individually. It appears from my research that the only difference is the 006 pegs are positioned a bit further to the rear when installed. For the price, I may get both sets and then decide which I prefer.

Just to clarify, I'm not uncomfortable when I ride, but I seek to be more comfortable if possible. Make sense?

I'll provide more info after my trials and perhaps a set of spare pegs for sale.

Archived