Starts Great And Idels But Dies With A Hint Of Throtle

Guest Wes750

Guest Wes750

Hi one and all VFR fans. First off I am new to this sight and so far I think its great - I've spent half a day looking at these fantastick bikes!

I just bouht the sweetest ride I have ever sat on, 93 VFR 750! I didn't sleep last night because I couldn't calm down.

Anyway, It is a Salvage bike, it got hit while parked in a lot, and drug for about 15 ft before the lady noticed something was wrong. Any way , the fairings are all beat up but other than that nuthing looks bad at all. This was Oct 07.

I just bought the bike yesterday, the gas has been sitting for 8 or 9 months now so I'm going to get rid of it naturaly, and I need new plugs too ( any recomendations would be great). But here is the problem I'm looking to fix for now:

Strats right up- no problem, Idels fine at 1000, but if you look at the throtle it dies. And it sounds like a kill switch, no sputtering, or anything like that- just like you hit the kill switch?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'll get some picts up as soon as I can. And does anyone have any fair condition fairings they can part with, mainly left front.

Welcome Wes!

The Pearl White 93 is a sweet bike for sure! :huh:

I would guess that the carb jets are probably dirty/clogged from sitting so long and need cleaned. I think this bike has a fuel pump, but should still run w/o it running I think. Have you checked for blown fuses or broken wires from the crash damage?

That's all I can think of at the moment. :blush:

Welcome Wes!

The Pearl White 93 is a sweet bike for sure! :fing02:

I would guess that the carb jets are probably dirty/clogged from sitting so long and need cleaned. I think this bike has a fuel pump, but should still run w/o it running I think. Have you checked for blown fuses or broken wires from the crash damage?

That's all I can think of at the moment. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the service manuel, and found that the fuel pumkp relay is bad. So I bipassed it like the manuel showed and I still have the same problem.

I have been working with some carb cleaner and it seems the front 2 carbs are not working at the same time as the rear 2? I noticed there are 2 cables on the throtle, do they work seperate on the linkage? Also with the air filter off and open air alowed to flow into the carbs, will the bike normaly take gas? It will rev just a bit and then make a pooof noise, and then die. Does this bike need the restrickted air flow to run properly?

• Member Contributer

most carbed bikes will run lean with the airfilter out, so that is often why the idle will go up. I agree with one of the other posts, this sounds like a clogged jet rather than anything electrical....yes, it can and will make the bike die instantly. especially if overly lean. carb cleaner might not be enough to clean it all out, but it's certainly worth a try.

Also, try covering the air-intake with your hand to simulate a choke (richening) and see how it runs.

Ok, checked the pump and it works great! Can it be working to good, and flooding out the system? I will try bypassing the pump and go gravity feed only next.

Thanks for the help so far.

Ok, checked the pump and it works great! Can it be working to good, and flooding out the system? I will try bypassing the pump and go gravity feed only next.

Thanks for the help so far.

i dont know a lot about the 93, but on other carb bikes:

i would think if it was 'working too good' what that would mean is your floats are stuck and your bowls would overflow, pouring gas out on the ground, so no, i wouldn't think so.

• Member Contributer
I noticed there are 2 cables on the throtle, do they work seperate on the linkage?

Also with the air filter off and open air alowed to flow into the carbs, will the bike normaly take gas? It will rev just a bit and then make a pooof noise, and then die. Does this bike need the restrickted air flow to run properly?

The two cables are known as the push and pull. One to open the throttle plates, and the other to close the plates in case of throttle return spring breakage or kinked pull cable.

Bikes that have CV (constant velocity) carbs need the airbox completely intact to run correctly. It kinda sounds as though just re-assembling the airbox may fix your problem.

Do you have the choke engaged with the bike is idling?

If it works OK than don't bother bypassing it.

Next would be what Baileyrock suggested. A lot more work but it does sound that it is running very lean.

And it sounds like a kill switch, no sputtering, or anything like that- just like you hit the kill switch?

Have you checked the kill switches? Maybe the throttle rubbing the cluster with the killswitch opens the switch? The other kill switches are behind the clutch lever and the sidestand. Any damage in those area's?

Are all the exhaust pipes getting equally hot?

In my experience, 3 differant bikes 3 carb rebulids - 2 v4's. If it starts well, the choke circuit and pilot circuits are ok assuming all cylinders get hot. It seems odd to me that the hi speed circuit could be plugged

since thats the largest jet.

I'd pull the plugs too and check color etc.

Wow thanks foir all the help. I checked the Kill switches, all of them are working properly. As far as the bike running hot, I havn't had it running long enought to even get the temp gauge to move. When I took the air box apart and the filter was black! Just as nasty as can be so I ordered a new one a UNI ( I hope it wont let to much air in ?) And if you give it any choke it won't start or run. With the choke off all the way one hit on the starter and it fires right up, nast air filter or not.

I'm starting to think the carbs need to be cleaned :unsure: . But keep the ideas comming, I realy don't like the idea of taking 4 carbs apart and trying to get them working right again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I now have taken the bike for 3 test rides. I replaced the Fuel pump relay, installed a new air filter, and used a 16oz can of Cemtool C-12 carb cleaner to slowly clean the carbs. This bike is fantastick! I still can't get over the linear power! It still has a bit of hesitation when you hit the throtle right off the line, but I'm running my special blend of Lucas carb cleaner, octane booster and gas in the tank, so that might have something to do with it too. But I'm getting there. Once it's nice and warmed up, it takes all the gas you can give it. I am so ready to get this bike on the road and see what it can realy do.

Thanks for all the help

Archived