Oem Sidebag Cover Stop Cords Broke - Again

Cageless-in-Seattle

• Member Contributer

The two cover stop ropes on my OEM sidebags have failed yet again. :pissed: I'm referring to the two small ropes that prevent the sidebag cover from opening too far. I've tried re-tying the ropes, but they keep coming apart.

My Givi V46 top case uses rubber stops. Givi refers to the parts as "stop bag opening yarn". The rubber "yarn" looks like a better replacement than OEM rope.

Anybody have the part number and where to purchase either the rubber or rope sidebag cover stops?

Maybe I should just use heavy fishing line? :fing02: Other ideas?

Thanks...

Edit - I found the part numbers by going to the Givi of Canada web page. Givi yarn cord part # Z115 and nylon cord part # Z599.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old post, by my bags are doing the same thing, plus the gray elastic cross straps are coming apart where they hook to the bags too. Were you ever able to order any parts for your cases? Mine are less than a year old and Honda replaced both complete bags once already. I'm afraid if they replace them again, we'll simply be starting the cycle over.

• Member Contributer

Here is the Givi part info, I've had to replace mine as well. But I used some steel cable with a black plastic coating and a set of crimps with some heat srink over the crimps. Just did it so I will not know how well it works until the snow melts :blush:

• Member Contributer
Sorry to dig up an old post, by my bags are doing the same thing, plus the gray elastic cross straps are coming apart where they hook to the bags too. Were you ever able to order any parts for your cases? Mine are less than a year old and Honda replaced both complete bags once already. I'm afraid if they replace them again, we'll simply be starting the cycle over.

I ordered new cords through Twisted Throttle:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2832

I actually received nylon cords, part # Z115R, not the yarn cord in the TT item picture. I also ordered extra topcase nylon cords, part # Z599, but the TT site doesn't list this item anymore. The nylon cords have held up far better than the yarn ever did.

If you can find the topcase nylon cords, #Z599, get those for your topcase and sidebags. They are a bit longer and allow the covers to open wider.

As for the cross straps, I got out a needle and thread and did my own re-stitching. With all the thread I used, the straps have not come apart again.

• Member Contributer

I took 2.5 mm climbing cord and made my own. There is a reflective thread woven into the sheath of the cord and the ends are melted. I used polyester thread to sew the loops and crazy glue to keep everything from coming undone. Heat shrink was added to cover up and protect the sewing. They are a little LONGER than the OEM cords so your luggage will open wider - great for packing! The loops fit tight, too.

Here's the detail of the end loop. It'll never break or come undone. Really.

gallery_5799_4353_16760.jpg

Hard Side Case String Thing

I make these all the time. Drop me a PM and I'll send you a set.

• 4 years later...

Archived