Frankenviffer Front Rotor & Caliper Line Up

mello dude

Question

• Member Contributer

I did a conversion with Super hawk lower legs with VFR800 upper tubes and mounted RC51 calipers on my 5th gen. (Stock rim and rotors.) It has been working very fine. I like. Recently on a tire change I noticed that the outer pistons of the calipers are moving about twice as much as the inner pistons/pads. If I would keep running this way, as the inner pads wear, eventually the rotor would start to rub on the caliper itself. It just looks to be a caliper/rotor position thing.

Temperarilly I added a washer at the caliper mounting bolts to push the cross location more inward.

-But I am considering making/grinding up custom spacers to optimize the caliper position.

Just wonder what you have done in simular situations? Any side effects I should watch for? Or am I just over anal?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Mello Dude

7 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

gixxer 6pots=a couple of washers to center them on the rotors.

gallery_611_2920_23252.jpg

I've thought about epoxing them to the back of the calipers. We're only talking about a couple of mm's here so I've never felt the need for custom spacers. At this size, isn't that what a washer is anyway? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I've thought about epoxing them to the back of the calipers. We're only talking about a couple of mm's here so I've never felt the need for custom spacers. At this size, isn't that what a washer is anyway? :unsure:

I havent figured out exactly what I would need but it could be 3 - 4 mm.

(Jeez them 6 pots look sweet.)

MD

I'm wondering if you used the stock VFR master cylinder to push those six potters?? Also, what model/year Gixxer did those come from?? Amazing that those fit right into the 4th gen's sliding caliper mounts and lined up closely with the orginal discs.

Beck

95 VFR - with Gixxer 6 potter front brakes in the future??

• Member Contributer

They DO NOT mount up to 4gen forks. Those are cbr600f4i forks on my 4gen (thank you bery much!). I used the zuki m/c. 02-03 gixxer 1000 only and are getting scarce. There are TONS of other, older 6p tokico's out there but the mounting points are way bigger and don't work. 04-present gixxer1000 are radial mounts.

i have the superhawk lowers/vfr tubes on my bike with F4i calipers (basically the same thing you have).

i noticed the same problem with my bike when i put everything together. i went to the hardware store and purchased some metric washers to go in between the caliper and fork tube and it pretty much centered them up. i believe they are like 8mm? i dont remember but i got mine from menards so who knows if what u get will work. but it should.

got any pictures of your handywork?

• Member Contributer
i have the superhawk lowers/vfr tubes on my bike with F4i calipers (basically the same thing you have).

i noticed the same problem with my bike when i put everything together. i went to the hardware store and purchased some metric washers to go in between the caliper and fork tube and it pretty much centered them up. i believe they are like 8mm? i dont remember but i got mine from menards so who knows if what u get will work. but it should.

I have the full deal in my gallery. Lots of trick stuff.

MD

I have the full deal in my gallery. Lots of trick stuff.

MD

dude how did u come up with those fender mounts? thats pretty dam trick and i wish i would have thought about it! ive been trying to find a cheap VTR fender and its not much fun.

Archived