2 Questions

Guest sigsauer33

Question

Guest sigsauer33

Ok so lets go with the short question first,

What is CC on the bike? I know that it tells you about the size of the engine but how do they tell the CC. also why is it that some bikes have about 590 CC's but they call them 600CC?

Now for the MOD quesiton.

I just got done with the Keith Code Course (which was amazing) during the couse I was draging my feet and pegs around every turn (picture below). Is there any way to make your own bracket to raise the foot pegs. As well do you know if there is a way to lower the bars. I have Heli bars on right now but I am looking for more of a sport bike height? I know most of you will just tell me to go buy a CBR (I am in the process of doing that) but just seeing if there is a way to do it on this bike.

DSC00226.jpg

20 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

CC is the displacement of the engine. It's the space in the cylinders between the highest the piston goes and the lowest the piston goes. This might help if you're interested in the technical details: Wikipedia link.

Manufacturers will often round the displacement to something convenient for their model designations - most "600's" are 599cc, but 600 rolls of the tongue a bit better (car manufacturers do this too - both up and down. BMW 325's were 2.8 liter engines for a few years).

No need to sell your bike just yet. wink.gif The heli-bars are about the highest option for VFR's - you could go for the stock clipons, which are down and forward from your heli-bars (i think 1.5in down and 1.5in forward). In the middle are the gen-mar spacers that move the stock clipons up 3/4". You can also fit clipons from the VTR, which are lower than stock. For the pegs - did you take the peg feelers off? I'm assuming you did from your boots. if you didn't, you can buy some clearance by doing that. You can buy a little more with aftermarket footpegs. I haven't researched options for rearsets on the VFR, but those may be available (but not cheap).

I'm signed up for a Keith Code class later this summer - I can't wait smile.gif.

Are your feet positioned correctly on the pegs? As in the balls of your feet on the pegs? I drag my right foot a lot but rarely drag my left. The good news is replacement sliders for the Alpinestars are about $12 a set.

Sig, you can fit a set of CBR600F4/F4i bars to your bike, they are lower than the VFR stock bars. Have you taken the feelers off your pegs? Also, how is your foot position? Do you have the balls of your feet on the pegs when cornering, or the middle of your foot? I have pretty big feet, but manage to keep my toes off the pavement.

Was this training military-sponsored? I heard they are "cracking down" and making these courses mandatory...

ps - the 3 series BMW(in this case the 325), has a base engine of 2.5 liters, the 2.8 is optional. wink.gif

• Member Contributer
Ok so lets go with the short question first,

What is CC on the bike? I know that it tells you about the size of the engine but how do they tell the CC. also why is it that some bikes have about 590 CC's but they call them 600CC?

Now for the MOD quesiton.

I just got done with the Keith Code Course (which was amazing) during the couse I was draging my feet and pegs around every turn (picture below). Is there any way to make your own bracket to raise the foot pegs. As well do you know if there is a way to lower the bars. I have Heli bars on right now but I am looking for more of a sport bike height? I know most of you will just tell me to go buy a CBR (I am in the process of doing that) but just seeing if there is a way to do it on this bike.

CCs is the displacement of the engine. With all cylinders at the bottom of their stroke, it is the volume of the cylinders above the pistons. They round the numbers. The current VFR is 781ccs and they call it an 800.

Do you have proper body position? You should be standing on your toes on the inside foot on the peg, with your heel above the heel guard, with your toes point as close as possible to 90 degrees from the bike. Unless you are doing this, modification is pointless.

If you do have proper body position, and are still dragging your toe sliders through every turn you are going to about the limit of the VFRs lean angle and need to get a bike with more ground clearance. You can raise the pegs and go through less toe sliders, but you will still be touching down your headers and other hard parts that will cause you to crash.

If you are not ready to get a better suited bike, start playing with suspension. Get an aftermaket shock, sprung and valved for you, with ride height adjustment. This will give you more ground clearance, and allow you to dial in more ground clearance as needed (to a point).

As for body and foot postion i do not want to brag but the Keith code instructors said that I have perfect stance on the bike. I do have the feelers off of the bottom of the pegs, it is just that my toe plate sticks out a little form the side of the peg so i end up draging it. Also the pants that I ride in do not have knee pucks so i have to tuck my knee when leaning. I just put on a new set of the Conti Attacks and they are amazing, I think that the lean angle on them is around 60 deg but the instructors did say that I was at the limit of the tires. i am going to look at replacing the handle bars with the CBR ones like SEB stated above.....now just got to find them.

This Keith code Course was set up by VFRD Member Adamf18. They made a 2 day course for a select group of Marines on the base. This class was not manditory but it was amazing. Even after 10 years of riding i am always open to learn new things and this class taught me a whole bunch about my riding. Our Marine Corps photographers were out there taking pictures and video of me dragging parts so hopefully i will have some next week to post.

Thanks for the information on the CC I was always so confused on that, now time for antoehr question, what the hell does VFR stand for if anything?

• Member Contributer

I know the guys who race the F3 put the clip-ons under the triple clamp (with a slight Dremel machining). Don't know if it can be done on the VFR.

The VF stands for v-four, and the "r" came later on (1986). Don't know if it stands for racing. They don't say. VFR History

I like that VFR hstory site i just wish that they would update it to current models, unless I am missing a next page link or something. I am really interested in miding the VFR to pure lean over sport bike stance but I am wonding if it is a dead in job, i am thinking about raising the foot pegs, lowering the handel bars with the CBR clip ons and then taking off the center stand and lowering the rear end, what do you think? Does anyone know the step by step for the lowering of the rear end, i know it has something to do with the triangle mounted under the tail.

• Member Contributer

Definitely switch out the helibars. My 2001 came with them and the bike just felt wrong to me. I was much happier with the stock bars. I sold the helbars very quickly too so you'll be able to switch them out at little or no cost.

Yea I am not to happy with the heli bars, i am really short (5 foot 4) and I have to rest my palms on the bars and sit all the way up on the tank, so i think that withe a lower handle bar I would be able to sit back in the seat more and get off my palms, I wonder if any one has the CBR bars hanging around and wants to trade??? smile.gif

I have the same boots and big feet. I believe I have good body position. I am on the balls of my feet but the side of the boot sticks out. I have gone thru probably 10 sets of toe sliders. I actually wore thru a slider into the boot. I put a metal plate under the bottom of the slider.

I have tried eveyrthing. I blame it on the pegs just being so low. When I drag a knee I also drag a toe slider.

They do calll them sliders. Alpinestars also offers magnesium toe sliders.

i would be interested on how you did the metal plate on the boots, I know that would are talking about with the boots, I shove my feet up aginst to bike as much as possible the the toe slide still love to drag, not that I dont mind draging my toe but I really do not want to keep replacing toe sliders every 2 weeks, and I am a leaning junkie so I am not going to stay more upright, if your not draging your not leaning!

Sig,

Installing the proper springs on the bike will help keep it off the ground too, not allowing it to compress as much in turns. Made all the difference on my track bike. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Full on sportbikes are torture racks for me, but I'm 6'3". See if you can get a ride on a late-model sportbike - it would be easier if a friend has one rather than a dealership - they don't usually allow demos of the supersports. You may be comfortable in the more aggressive riding position - but make the ride more than an hour to be sure.

If you are comfortable on a supersport, and you're not attached to the unique features of the VFR's (V-Four engine, linked brakes, etc), any sportbike made in the last 5 years is going to come with far superior suspension compared to the VFR (and you're probably light enough that you won't need to swap springs from stock like I would).

If you're having trouble getting test rides, try a Triumph dealer - the Daytona 675 is a hell of a bike, and better Triumph dealers encourage test rides.

• Member Contributer
Was this training military-sponsored? I heard they are "cracking down" and making these courses mandatory...

A little off topic here. Seb - Nowadays, in order to get a DoD sticker for your bike you have to show proof of taking an MSF-sanctioned rider class. Most installations have sessions once or twice a month and you're allowed to repeat it at least once a year (at least here at Redstone Arsenal.) When I took the class here in '04, we did it out at the local Harley dealer's Rider's Edge course. Great class! Just wish USAA would give a premium discount for taking 'em. :pissed:

And we now return to your regularly scheduled thread...

My only worry about raising the rear end is then leaning to far. I figure lowering the rear will make up a little for raising the foot pegs.

As for the sport bike, I am not going to sell the VFR, it is paid off and I love it so I will probally get a CBR 600 for the turns and keep the VFR for the long hauls! I rode the hell out of the track bikes at the Keith Code Course and rode a few CBR's and I love the style, it is much eaiser for me to get into the bike with my height. But I do not want to buy a bike from a dealer, I would like to find one that already has some mods done to it and I know that it has been taken care of. I might have to wait till I move to NC to get one in Aug.

But for what BR was saying, I think that my front springs are gone. At Keith Code we adjusted the front for my weight and we tightened the forks all the way down and still were not in range. Not far off but not in range so they think that my shocks may be shot but I only weigh 170 Lbs am I really putting and pressure on the front?

• Member Contributer
My only worry about raising the rear end is then leaning to far. I figure lowering the rear will make up a little for raising the foot pegs.

Lowering your rear ride height will lower your ground clearance, you want to increase it if you are dragging pegs.

Keep in mind, with the VFR pegs in the stock location, they are the first thing to touch down. If you raise the pegs, depending on where they end up, your header, brake pedal, fairing, and other parts may touch down first.

Dragging a peg isn't a big deal because it is spring loaded and pivots. Once you start dragging your header, it will lever your back tire off the ground and you will lose traction.

• Member Contributer
But for what BR was saying, I think that my front springs are gone. At Keith Code we adjusted the front for my weight and we tightened the forks all the way down and still were not in range. Not far off but not in range so they think that my shocks may be shot but I only weigh 170 Lbs am I really putting and pressure on the front?

You should get new springs, front and rear to match your weight. This will also help your ground clearance issue, both with mid corner bumps, and the suspension compressing from centripetal force when you are in a turn (where oh where is that picture Trace posted of a guy on an RC51 in a turn, dragging his elbow? His forks are bottomed out and he his fingers are not even on the brake lever :pissed: )

VFR= V Four Racing. the first VFR's were used as race bikes, the more modern ones (3rd generation on?) were geared more for sport touring.

CC stands for cubic centimeter. A cubic centimeter also equals one milliliter. Milliliter is usually used as a liquid volume measurement with doctors and such.

As one liter equals approximately 61 cubic inches, an 800 cc engine (798 cc engine) has a displacement of roughly 48.8 cubic inches.

1 quart = 946 millilleters = 946 cc's. Therefore a VFR has an engine displacement of 48.8 cubic inches or approximately 0.844 quarts. Or, if you grew up on a farm, it has an engine displacement of 0.026 bushels as there are 32 quarts in a bushel.

Use whichever unit impresses the chicks more.

Archived