Wrong Tire Size?

Guest chadincolo

Guest chadincolo

I came across a deal on a spare rear wheel with a new Z6 tire for not much more than the cost of the tire. Problem is, it's a 180/55XR17. The 95's should have a 170/60...what effect will this have if I buy and run this tire?

I came across a deal on a spare rear wheel with a new Z6 tire for not much more than the cost of the tire. Problem is, it's a 180/55XR17. The 95's should have a 170/60...what effect will this have if I buy and run this tire?

It might open up a wormhole in the space and time continuum and suck your bike into a black hole...

No but seriously - running a fatter rear on a narrower rim will alter the shape of the tire's carcass substantially and affect handling in ways I sure wouldn't want to experience - ie. twitchier, less stable...

Also, it will compromise the structural integrity of the tire, and depending on your riding style, will probably result in a shorter than expected life-span, if not spontaneous tire death due to higher loads on the sidewall. My 2 cents - don't do it. If others have and can debunk my bunk, please go ahead. :biggrin:

Is the spare rear wheel a 5.5"?

If so, that's the better scenario to run a 180 on.

If not, life as we know it will not end, but the bike certainly WILL handle better with a 170 on a 5" rim.

Don't do it!

I had one of those Dunlop 207 170s and Dunlop screwed up because those tires were actually 180 wide (remember those?).

The tire ended up pinced with tread edges that were too vertical. The bike handled horribly in lower speed manuvers and felt verry tippy and unstable because of it. Plus I don't think my maximum lean traction was helped either. You get the best performance from your tires if it is mated to the correct rim size. So as already stated, do not mix 180s with 5" rims. you will need a 5.5" minimum rim size to use a 180.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

My Pilot Power 180/55 seems to work fine (came from the previous owner that way), but the rim is obviously too narrow for it. When it's time to buy a new tire, I will try the proper size.

Good to know the back end of the bike wouldn't get sucked into another dimension. :-P The only reason I'm seriously considering it is that it is an 8 spoke wheel...may try to buy it, sell the 180 off it, and put the right size on... smile.gif Thanks guys.

Good to know the back end of the bike wouldn't get sucked into another dimension. :-P The only reason I'm seriously considering it is that it is an 8 spoke wheel...may try to buy it, sell the 180 off it, and put the right size on... smile.gif Thanks guys.

Uhhh..sounds like there's some confusion here. Isn't the 8 spoker a 5.5 inch rim?? You don't need to change the tire on it if it is a 180 section (unless, of course, it's worn out). a 5.5 inch rim will be perfect for it. It's the 5 inch 4th gen 5 spoker that does not work too well with tires wider than 170 section. At least for me it didn't.

BUT, a 5.5 inch 8 spoker wheel on a 4th gen VFR with a 180 section tire WILL work....which I think you are now planning to do.

Ooops, forgot to add that you do have to notch the 8 spoker's wheel center hub to get it to properly fit the 4th gen wheel carrier. It's because of the non-flush boltheads that are in the way.

Beck

95 VFR

The '90-'93 8 spoke rears are indeed 5.5" wide. Beck is right.

180 tire is the correct fitment.

Cornering should be fine with the above combo, ask me how I know:

gallery_554_345_88553.jpg

VFR Cali.jpg

8 spoke wheel is 5.5" wide and will take the 180 section, however the 170 is still the recommended fitment,

The 8 spoke does not require to be notched to fit the hub. Only 5th gen onwards wheels need to be modified to fit these earlier bikes.

8 spoke wheel is 5.5" wide and will take the 180 section, however the 170 is still the recommended fitment,

The 8 spoke does not require to be notched to fit the hub. Only 5th gen onwards wheels need to be modified to fit these earlier bikes.

Guess I was confused, I was thinking the 8 spoke was a 5 inch...since it's a 5.5 inch, guess I'll make her an offer. smile.gif

Archived