Gah! No Front End!

magicman

• Member Contributer

So, I got my bike back from the recall service like a week ago. They replaced the front sub harness, and confirmed no damage to the main. They also installed my Scorpio i500 alarm (but in the rear end of the bike, under the seat).

Last night I started the install of my OEM hardbags, following the supplied instructions. I got most of the way through before I had to leave for a movie (Street Kings was actually pretty good).

When I came back to finish it today (stayed at the GF's), I come to find that the dash is not functioning (no displays or tach function), neither are the headlights (high or low).

The bike starts, and will rev. The turn signals work front and back (never tried the horn). The alarm (which is in the rear, where I was working) is still functioning correctly. All of the electrical connections in the rear of the bike look fine. I had to move a couple wires to get at the bolts for the install, but it was only just enough to get them out of the way of the ratchet. The break lights are still working fine as well.

I have not removed the front fairing to check the fuses (no time). I don't know if there is anything that I could have done to cause this. I also am not sure if it would be safe to ride the bike back to the dealer (about 15 minutes away).

Worst part is the weather is supposed to be great tomorrow.

Wondering if there is a single fuse that might have blown (with the bike sitting, turned off, and the alarm unarmed?), or if there is a connector I should check. I do have access to a truck, but not while the dealer is open (except on Thursday night, and that's so far away...).

Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer
When I came back to finish it today (stayed at the GF's), I come to find that the dash is not functioning (no displays or tach function), neither are the headlights (high or low).

Your VFR got jealous. Try flowers and a box of chocolates. If that does not help, the fuse box would be the first place to look.

• Member Contributer

I think it is the Headlight fuse? I can't remember, but ryan's went out randomly like that. Turned out to just be a simple blown fuse.

• Member Contributer

With no headlights or console lights, it definitely sounds like the fuse has blown. It happened on my 03' several times. I reported it to transport Canada and then the local Honda dealer followed up. Turned out that there was an intermittent short in my license plate bulb area and this kept blowing the fuse.

It was pretty un-nerving when my headlight stopped (with no warning) after going over a bump on the highway. It was still dark out and suddenly got darker!

No trouble since it was fixed 3 years ago.

The one same fuse covers the lights and console if I remember rightly. Another fuse covers the horn and indicators... I freaked out once wondering why I had no indicators and no horn while trying to fix a rear brake/parker bulb, but did have other features... must have shorted the "shared" circuit running through one fuse for the indicators and horn... of course... once you've put a new fuse in there (you'll probaly find a spare inside the fusebox, Honda usually stores an extra one in a little rubber pouch in there and other places on the bike, like the famous 30 Amp fuse. Seems like Honda new they'd be blowing)... as I was saying: Once you've changed the fuse, the question is... why did it blow?? Will it blow again?? Did they do the recall right??

First things first, the fuse... then post up on how she behaves...

• Member Contributer

Well, this is basically what I was hoping.

I'm not sure how I would have shorted those circuits with the bike turned of, but theoretically, the short may have been there when I parked it, and the install was not complete. Everything is back where is should be now, so hopefully the short was only there when I moved the bike back out of the garage to finish the install.

Anyone know what # fuse it should be?

cimg1299dx0.jpg

cimg1300cv2.jpg

cimg1303un7.jpg

cimg1305jf3.jpg

Access to the fuse panel is a pain. :joystick:

Here're some pics from a post by Tharkum pertaining to the left side. I think there is some abs stuff there. Right side access to the main fuse panel is a similar process.

Removing left panel:

1 2 3 4 5 6

Installing left panel:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

• Member Contributer

okay, the manual wasn't very clear about left/right. Is the normal fuse box still on the right with an additional box on the left for ABS, or is there just everything moved to the left?

I started to try to remove that "internal panel", man is that a pain. I actually just gave up when it started getting too dark. I got the bottom part loose, and the clip points out, but I couldn't get the top part to budge.

Know any tricks?

EDIT: those links were basically what I was looking for, but if you know anything else usefull, please share.

• Member Contributer

No time right now, but there is a how to, in a headlight replacement thread.

okay, the manual wasn't very clear about left/right. Is the normal fuse box still on the right with an additional box on the left for ABS, or is there just everything moved to the left?

I think the former holds true... if I recall rightly... I don't have ABS so...

I started to try to remove that "internal panel", man is that a pain. I actually just gave up when it started getting too dark. I got the bottom part loose, and the clip points out, but I couldn't get the top part to budge.

Know any tricks?

Patience and feel. You can use a little more force than you would imagine... perservere... I don't quite recall now what the trick was... if there was one, like with the side panel... the way it makes a cracking sound and the fact that's normal... the bike's stored away in a mechanic's garage otherwise I'd take it off and report back to you about the knack...

EDIT: those links were basically what I was looking for, but if you know anything else usefull, please share.

• Member Contributer

So, I managed to take it all apart. Started with the right side. Turns out, on an ABS bike the headlight fuse is on the left. Terrific.

So I check it, and it's fine. The fuse that was blown was the "position, meter, tail, illumi" fuse. Replaced it after checking the wiring in the rear of the bike again, and found no faults. Turn the key and out it goes.

So, the dealer should be coming to pick up the bike in the morning. They are going to double check all of the wiring that they did in the front (and I'm going to get them to check the rear too, on the basis that that's where thye installed the alarm).

• Member Contributer

So, I just called the dealer. They fixed it. Wasn't their fault though.

The wire running to the rear license plate light had worn through and was shorting on one of the bolts for the fender. Apparently everytime I moved it to check around the rear, it always fell back to that same spot when I would check the circuit...

Oh well, they aren't charging me for it. Picking it up on my lunch hour.

• Member Contributer
So, I just called the dealer. They fixed it. Wasn't their fault though.

The wire running to the rear license plate light had worn through and was shorting on one of the bolts for the fender. Apparently everytime I moved it to check around the rear, it always fell back to that same spot when I would check the circuit...

Oh well, they aren't charging me for it. Picking it up on my lunch hour.

Exactly what I had.

• Member Contributer

Well, I had just paid them $370 dollars for the oil change, air/oil filters, alarm install, and general spring service (checking tires,breaks, etc.). They even replaced the broken clip and fuse "at no charge".

Archived