Fly By Wire

Auspanglish

Friends, Romans and VFRmen, lend me your eyes...

As you may well be aware, Spain has not jumped on the recall bandwagon for the electrical glitches in the VFR VTEC 02 - 05 models. If you're lucky enough, and you ask aound, you may get the PCV recall done... but mine's faulty and Honda refuses to fix it under warranty...

Anyway, I'm seeing 6th gen after 6th gen going through the same woes and suffering over and over again... most end up forking out over 1000 Euros to get alternator, R/R and/or harness fixed. I have suggested we document a list of all those having undergone electrical problems and present it to Honda Spain's central office... but... this is Spain...

So, the point of this thread is, I recently saw yet another thread on the subject. Another "fly dropping to the ground". And one guy responds to the enquiry with the solution a local mechanic came up with for him... I would like to translate his thread for you guys to scrutinize the fix and give your 2 cents' worth on whether you all think it's a decent solution or just inviting more disasters...

Hola compañeros!!

Yesterday I picked up the bike from the mechanic's with the apparent solution done according to intructions from an official Honda Dealer's workshop, nextdoor to my trusty mechanic of choice.

My bike is an ABS model and I hd bypassed the blue connector some time ago, and despite this the bike still broke down. I sent an email to Honda Spain and their reply basically passed the buck.

So here's photo-documented report for those who might be interested:

Here is the much-talked-about harness, the part we're interested in is yellow in colour:

dsc02444eh6.jpg

This is the state we found it in, if you look closely it has burnt out up the top:

dsc02445vf7.jpg

Here we can see the condition of the connector tabs:

dsc02446qi1.jpg

These are the wires to be joined up:

dsc02447cq0.jpg

The end result of soldering:

dsc02448rm5.jpg

All wrapped up:

dsc02451bg2.jpg

Te finished product:

dsc02453yb0.jpg

Accordin to the honda mechanic the problem lies in the condition of this connector. He apparently performs this same fix to all the VTEC models which come in to his workshop with problems of a similar nature and did let slip that Honda Spain is aware of the problem but, as we all know, turns a blind eye.... I hope this is useful to someone...

V'ssssssssss

It looks like a major "chapuza" to me (read "bodge job") but you never know, it just might do the trick... I don't know enough about electronics to judge... I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable sorts could analyze this guy's "trick" fix.

I see no reason that won't work, although it is quite the job. I prefer the easier method myself...one wire, one connection, 10 minute job.

I see no reason that won't work, although it is quite the job. I prefer the easier method myself...one wire, one connection, 10 minute job.

Would you be so kind as to extrapolate a little further?? As in, what you think this fix achieves? Could it be deficient?? You refer to one wire and one connection... do you mean the blue connector fix or the feedback wire fix?? This guy did say that he had the blue connector bridged and re-earthed... feel free to go into more detail (nudge nudge... wink wink)

i know it isnt the us, but why not have a lawyer write a letter including the recall info from the US? i am really finding it hard to believe that honda wouild ignore an issue that could cause your bike to staul in traffic resulting in a major injury and liability lawsuit....while i am not a suit happy person, in this case it seems warranted...

Would you be so kind as to extrapolate a little further?? As in, what you think this fix achieves? Could it be deficient?? You refer to one wire and one connection... do you mean the blue connector fix or the feedback wire fix?? This guy did say that he had the blue connector bridged and re-earthed... feel free to go into more detail (nudge nudge... wink wink)

Tightwad is just WAAAAAAAY too humble. :laugh: :blush:

Allow me....... PULL MY WIRE>>>>> :fing02:

Tightwad is just WAAAAAAAY too humble. :laugh: :blush:

Hehehe. Sorry but the inside info is that I already have Tightwad's VFRness on my VTECker and bought other goodies off him as well and plug his stuff to any and everyone having these problems... and I think he knows that!!! I'm really trying to understand more about the electronics and this issue. Thought this guy's experience might be interesting fo those here on VFRD that eat this electrical stuff for breakfast lunch and tea... I'm electronically challenged.

Turtlecreek... good idea, I'll see if this lawyer friend from my MC (specializing in vehicle/road accidents) can translate the letters you guys got and write up some sort of legally pushy letter...

Tightwad is just WAAAAAAAY too humble. :ohmy: :491:

Hehehe. Sorry but the inside info is that I already have Tightwad's VFRness on my VTECker and bought other goodies off him as well and plug his stuff to any and everyone having these problems... and I think he knows that!!! I'm really trying to understand more about the electronics and this issue. Thought this guy's experience might be interesting fo those here on VFRD that eat this electrical stuff for breakfast lunch and tea... I'm electronically challenged.

Turtlecreek... good idea, I'll see if this lawyer friend from my MC (specializing in vehicle/road accidents) can translate the letters you guys got and write up some sort of legally pushy letter...

I agree. If it's a problem with VFRs, why would it matter which Country in was sold/being driven in? :blush:

That sux! :laugh:

Looking back at the original pics, did that guy already have the 'Blue' bypass done? I'm just wondering if that connector was a contributing factor before and/or after the fact..... A good arguement for Dielectric Grease on ALL connections, I guess. +1.gif

The problem here was/is running the ground for 60 thousand things through a bad connector....the "Blue connector" fix is common, and was the real reason for the recall work. Simply bypassing the faulty connector restores connection, and the "earth" or "ground" is re-established.

It really doesn't take that much to ground this out, which is why a single wire will take care if it. His method also works, but involved more work, which I try to avoid where possible(but embrace when needed).

Yes, he already had the blue-connctor bypass done on the bike (not seen in the pictures but was mentioned in the text). So, whilst that may solve a large part of the issue, he still had glitches in the system... the plot thickens...

Archived