Sonic Springs Spring Rate?

canib

• Member Contributer

I just bought an Ohlins 46DRS.

It looks like most people here recommend Sonic Springs for the front.

Their web site recommends I go with 0.95 for normal riding and 1.0 for aggressive riding. I'm 180 lbs (when wet) and generally use a tank bag (while commuting). I spend 75% commuting, 20% in the twisties, and 5% touring.

I'm more of a sporty guy than a touring guy, although to do 6 hour+ rides about once a quarter.

After researching here (thanks Sebspeed, Baileyrock, Enzed_Viffer, others) it seems like most people recommend .95 or .90. After reading these reviews I'm leaning towards 0.90 even though Sonics’ web site recommends 1.00 or 0.95.

Will the 0.90 balance with the Ohlins? Will it be super sweet in the twisties or not stiff enough for my weight? Or should I go with the .95?

You all are the super smarties so I thought I'd hit you up smile.gif I just want that 'on rails' feeling.

I weigh ~195, and I've got 0.95 Sonic Springs, and I think they're a wee bit too stiff. Perhaps if I was to upgrade the damping (which I plan on doing some day), it would be OK, but it feels a wee bit bouncy. Adding heavier oil helped a little (mix of 10W and 15W), as the springing was overwhelming the damping a bit. However, on rough roads, it's a definite improvement over the 0.74s that are stock, and overall the handling is better (that "on rails" thing you mentioned). It's just that I now tend to feel a lot of the smaller bumps, as the forks are less compliant.

I think Sonic use the same calculator Racetech do, and 0.95 would be fine for mostly track riding or if you want a firm ride, but given that you say you do 75% commuting, I'd go a bit lighter.

If I were you, I'd go for the 0.90s. They'll be fine for your weight.

Or better still, buy them, send them to me, and I'll send you my 0.95s. :thumbsup:

just sent forks to Aftershocks, Phil said for my 220lbs 1.0 springs would be best. I already had .95 and it felt firm to the WP 3-way with 1082 lbs/inch but he assures me it will balance.

my only complaint was I had to weight the front in the twisties then it felt abrupt/harsh while cruising and I went over small sharp bumps. :blink:

...it felt abrupt/harsh while cruising and I went over small sharp bumps. :blink:

Yeah, that's what my front end is like too: fine over big bumps (not unsettled at all, even in corners), but the ride is a bit 'jiggly' and not relaxing.

On the plus side, there's less dive when braking hard, and the bike's much more planted (despite the jigglyness).

...it felt abrupt/harsh while cruising and I went over small sharp bumps. :blink:

Yeah, that's what my front end is like too: fine over big bumps (not unsettled at all, even in corners), but the ride is a bit 'jiggly' and not relaxing.

On the plus side, there's less dive when braking hard, and the bike's much more planted (despite the jigglyness).

was told he would adjust the shims to cure the small "high-speed" jolt, he's the expert so we'll see.

was told he would adjust the shims to cure the small "high-speed" jolt, he's the expert so we'll see.

A good option to cure that is the Racetech gold valves.

To the original poster - give Rich Desmond at Sonic a call, he's very knowledgeable. Tell him what the spring rating is on your Ohlins(the number printed on the coil), and he can set you up with a front rate that will work for your weight and balance with the rear. The balance part is important!

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought an Ohlins 46DRS.

Their web site recommends I go with 0.95 for normal riding and 1.0 for aggressive riding. I'm 180 lbs (when wet) and generally use a tank bag (while commuting). I spend 75% commuting, 20% in the twisties, and 5% touring.

Will the 0.90 balance with the Ohlins?

One key is WHAT spring is on the Ohlins ??? That is the balance your need to work with!

Based on your weight and riding style and w/o knowing what spring is on the rear I would suggest no more then the .90kg's.

Hopefully your Ohlins has a 18kg range spring on it, who ever sold the shock to you should fit the proper spring sring rate for you before the ship it. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I'll be calling Sonic Springs Monday.

The Ohlins has a 17.3Kg spring. As the numbers go higher, the spring gets more stiff, right? The stamp on the side reads; 1092-69/170 L336.

I used the spring preload adjuster to go all the way soft and it's still way to stiff. I'll see what Sonic says. If I need a new spring for the Ohlins I'll get one. The plan is to get something from Sonic, put all the parts on, then go to one of the local sport bike shops and have them help me set the sag, rebound, etc. They may tell me I have the wrong Ohlins spring. I like screwing around with my bike, but I want it to feel like the suspension was set up by professionals.

Thanks for all the help!

Archived