Aerosol Touch-up Paint

toddulu

Does anyone know who may carry some r-157 that I can go down to the store and buy? I looked on the Color Rite web site and about had a heart attack when they want $33 for a can. Is there a cross over to a honda car color that I can get and have it match?

I bought a little touch-up nail polish size of Rally Red (color of the S2000 car) from AutoZone and it seems to match pretty well (I'm color blind so who knows :blink: ), but they didn't carry it in an aerosol can.

• Member Contributer

Some one will chime in. There's a gm color, but i forgot the code.

Change your title to. "What is the GM color code, for R157". You'll get an answer really quick.

Gonna take a tip from Sebs book he passed along to me. Take the part you need

painted and just have it scanned at a painters supply. My local supply could mix

paint pens, touch ups with a brush, most any size can then onto qts and pints.

The price is about 1/4th that of color rite for me.

What was the color code for the 2000 red Honda Civic Si's? I remember that being close?

The GM color might be Victory Red, I own one(03 Silverado) and it's very close to the R258 on my '05 VFR, but not close enough to match. Maybe that's it then? Cheap enough to pick up a touch-up can at Wal-Mart and find out...

• Member Contributer

Over the years, I've tried everything offered at my local auto parts store(s) including GM's Victory red and nothing comes close to 157 as they all have an orange tint which does go well with cbr red but not vfr red.

• Member Contributer

Dupli-Color GM398 is as close as you get. It is an exact match for my 99's red until I buff it at which time it takes on an orange tint.

On thing I have done that worked was put some laquer thinner in a spray bottle on a very fine mist and spray it over a freshly painted area to smooth out the ripples of a rattle can. This takes a bit of practice but it can be done.

Dupli-Color GM398 is as close as you get. It is an exact match for my 99's red until I buff it at which time it takes on an orange tint.

On thing I have done that worked was put some laquer thinner in a spray bottle on a very fine mist and spray it over a freshly painted area to smooth out the ripples of a rattle can. This takes a bit of practice but it can be done.

Like misting water over a fresh coat of wax to level it? I'm thinking you should be using lighter coats though, if you're getting ripples from the spray can...

Archived