Electrical Blackout

Guest dzajanc

Guest dzajanc

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and owning a VFR (about a week and a half), and am already having electrical issues.

I've looked at the post for wiring issues, and it looks pretty complex and varied; I'm not very savvy when it comes to electrics.

Yesterday I was on the freeway doing 70 mph, and everything suddenly died; lights, instrument panel, everything. I was lucky to make it to the shoulder as people were honking at me and going much faster; very scary!

I was in some shock as I had just had it serviced by a reputable dealer a few days earlier. They had just performed the recall work for the wiring subharness. I tried getting it to turn on again, but no luck. I had to have it towed at a high cost. I tried calling the service department yesterday, but they are closed on Mondays. When I got it home though, I tried turning it on again, and was able to without problems; very strange.

According to the original owner, this has never happened before and the first recall, for the R/R, has already been taken care of.

Has anyone else had this problem after the recall work for the wiring subharness? And what's the best way to approach this with the dealer? I feel like they should pay for my tow and any other work if it's related to the recall work that they did.

Thanks,

David

What a shame that you've owned the bike one week and your first post involves stopping dead on the side of the highway. It's almost certainly got to be a loose connector somewhere. Talk to the dealer, be polite, and explain what happened. Give him a chance to make it right. The good folks here will lend helpful advice and support.

What a bummer!!

Sorry to hear that. First thing to do is see if the dealer will make good and assume responsibility, without pressure. Obviously let him know the dangerous nature of the situation you found yourself in and that you're lost for words after assuming that the recall stuff would have you riding a safe vehicle!! You won't have to "play" the victim because you honestly are one!!

Then depending on their attitude you go from there.

This just stumps me... when the cure is worse than the disease.

Either way, everything has a solution...

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and owning a VFR (about a week and a half), and am already having electrical issues.

I've looked at the post for wiring issues, and it looks pretty complex and varied; I'm not very savvy when it comes to electrics.

Yesterday I was on the freeway doing 70 mph, and everything suddenly died; lights, instrument panel, everything. I was lucky to make it to the shoulder as people were honking at me and going much faster; very scary!

I was in some shock as I had just had it serviced by a reputable dealer a few days earlier. They had just performed the recall work for the wiring subharness. I tried getting it to turn on again, but no luck. I had to have it towed at a high cost. I tried calling the service department yesterday, but they are closed on Mondays. When I got it home though, I tried turning it on again, and was able to without problems; very strange.

According to the original owner, this has never happened before and the first recall, for the R/R, has already been taken care of.

Has anyone else had this problem after the recall work for the wiring subharness? And what's the best way to approach this with the dealer? I feel like they should pay for my tow and any other work if it's related to the recall work that they did.

Thanks,

David

David,

It is very possible when the dealer did the recall that the battery was disconnected-check your connections because it doesnt take much to lose your connections at the battery. Imagine the battery with the connections loose, vibrating and jiggling around as you rode the bike-this may be the culprit-It happened to me on my cbx once-just once.

Thanks for all the replies; I think you all helped me to not be too aggressive about it. I did talk to the dealer today, and they want to take a look at it. He told me that they would be willing to work with me if the problem was related to the recall work that they did.

I'm just going to see how things go. Unfortunately, the dealer is far from where I live, and not sure how I'm going to get it there yet. Might have to get it towed again or maybe rent a Uhaul trailer.

Thanks for all the replies; I think you all helped me to not be too aggressive about it. I did talk to the dealer today, and they want to take a look at it. He told me that they would be willing to work with me if the problem was related to the recall work that they did.

I'm just going to see how things go. Unfortunately, the dealer is far from where I live, and not sure how I'm going to get it there yet. Might have to get it towed again or maybe rent a Uhaul trailer.

Always nice and easy first time... then you have somewhere to go if you have to...

And how about this?

Mention what it cost you for the tow (or more) and ask if THEY could come and pick it up???

Surely they must have the capability...

I hope it turns out to be something minor, and that you're FULLY compensated.

If they do offer some sort of offer, let THEM do the talking First... then, no matter what they say, you have the option of asking for more, accepting, or anywhere between.

If you don't ask, you don't get. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,

Greg

Always nice and easy first time... then you have somewhere to go if you have to...

And how about this?

Mention what it cost you for the tow (or more) and ask if THEY could come and pick it up???

Surely they must have the capability...

I hope it turns out to be something minor, and that you're FULLY compensated.

If they do offer some sort of offer, let THEM do the talking First... then, no matter what they say, you have the option of asking for more, accepting, or anywhere between.

If you don't ask, you don't get. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,

Greg

Thanks for the suggestion. I had mentioned to him that I didn't have a good way to get it there, and he balked at having to go that far. He instead suggested U-haul or offered a number for a towing company. But I hadn't pushed it very hard. It was partly because I'm not sure that it's necessarily a result of their work. Nonetheless, it's a pain to get it up there, about an hour's drive for me. If it is indeed related to what they did, then I will push hard for full reimbursement, and might blow a fuse if I get offered less.

David

Hi,

It did turn out to be a loose connection, not the battery terminals, but a connector under the seat. The dealer claimed they did not remove or do anything with the battery or any wires under the seat, only the front harness. I was doubtful at first, and questioned them about it, because of the timing of the shutoff so close to the work being done, but decided to take their word in the end.

I wasn't happy about what happened, bike suddenly dying on the freeway, but I'm realizing I need to learn quite a bit about how it works. I'm starting to look into manuals; can anyone recommend a good manual for 6th gen VFR that is somewhat readable for the layperson?

Thanks,

David

Hi,

It did turn out to be a loose connection, not the battery terminals, but a connector under the seat. The dealer claimed they did not remove or do anything with the battery or any wires under the seat, only the front harness. I was doubtful at first, and questioned them about it, because of the timing of the shutoff so close to the work being done, but decided to take their word in the end.

I wasn't happy about what happened, bike suddenly dying on the freeway, but I'm realizing I need to learn quite a bit about how it works. I'm starting to look into manuals; can anyone recommend a good manual for 6th gen VFR that is somewhat readable for the layperson?

Thanks,

David

go to the download section and download the factory manual pdf file. only manual i have and it has definitely helped. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Same thing happened to me a week ago with the bike just dying on the road. The fuel injection light came on and the bike just died and I was able to get off the road. I checked everything and nothing was loose. After 15 mins it started up and I was able to get it home. there was no FI light this time. I read the codes and got a number one fuel injector code, number 23. I reset the code and I am waiting for it to happen again, but the bike has run great ever since. Of course the fuel injectors are buried under every thing.

Anyone heard of fuel injectors on VFR's going bad?

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Thanks,

David

Hey david mine did the same thing after the recall they also told me they didnt touch the battery or anything else but my auto com system was removed and reinstalled, my 12v power port was not put back in... I had the bike back less then a day before it died while going trough a corner... it started back right back up on its own... I was on my way to work so didnt stop i got about two miles down the freeway and it did it about 6 or 7 more times.... when i got off work it didnt have any problems starting or getting to the shop.. The shop said it was my side stand switch and said it was nothing that they did but fixed it for free and complained that i had alot of electrical eq on the bike... it worked for another week and its doing in again.... if i wiggle the stand it will cute off you might want to try that they say i need new springs there on order and i will let you know how that goes.. i still think they have something to do with it.... it was fine before the recall good luck

Rodney

p.s. what connection was loose

Hi,

Thanks,

David

Thats total bs. They would of had to take the battery out to do the wire that runs under it. Step one of electrical work like that is to disconnect the battery. They would of been all over that area. The 30a fuse and wires are in the same area.

I have the official printout for the repair that the dealer gets. The beattery doesnt have to be removed to do the frt. It has to be removed to do the battery starter cable. It runs under the battery.

It is step 3 from honda. Remove battery.

If they didnt remove the battery, did they replace everything the were supposed to? You deserve your towing bill money.

Archived