Avon Storm St

Guest Criplgamer

Guest Criplgamer

Well as the title says. I love the new AVON storm ST's. I am so surprised how much better the bike handles than with the dunflops on them. Turn in is amazing compared to the old tires. The bike overall handles so much better it almost acts like a diff bike. It's so tossable now compared to the old tires. The bike also just feels more comfortable underneath me and i feel more in control of the bike.

The tires simply are better. There is no way around it. I mean i dont know how a new pair of dunfloppers feel but ill tell ya i won't ever give em up. You'll have to get your own :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think it's the best ST tire on the market. I've had a set of Diablo Stradas and currently I'm riding the Storm ST. I think the Storms are better in every way. And Avon has a sweet pro-rated road hazard warranty (you must call them as they dont advertise it). I can't say enough good things about the Storms. I've had them leaned all the way over and no slipping. Today I rode through a downpour on the way home with no problems; even the painted lines didn't bother them. Kudos to Avon on a fine tire.

Of course if I lived at Deals Gap, I would be riding Powers:-)

I just ordered a set of Storms. It was down to Michelin PR2, Conti RA, and the Avon Storm. The PR2 180 rear is on backorder until who knows when and I could not find a set of RA's that were both made in Germany so that left the Storms. A buddy of mine runs them on his FJR and has nothing but good things to say about them.

I got them for $244 shipped from motoxoutlet.

https://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageA...p;ProdID=391684

What PSI are you guys running?

Glad to hear you like your new skins, Gamer! I've loved the Conti Road Attacks I put on last year, but sometime this spring I'll be putting a set of Storms on my '04. I've heard nothing but great things about them from friends here on VFRD.

BTW, the stock Bridgestones that were on my bike weren't terrible, tho not real good either. But I can't condemn them too much since they had 4200 miles on them when I bought the bike used. Still, the RAs were a night and day difference from the 'Stones.

Well as the title says. I love the new AVON storm ST's. I am so surprised how much better the bike handles than with the dunflops on them. Turn in is amazing compared to the old tires. The bike overall handles so much better it almost acts like a diff bike. It's so tossable now compared to the old tires. The bike also just feels more comfortable underneath me and i feel more in control of the bike.

The tires simply are better. There is no way around it. I mean i dont know how a new pair of dunfloppers feel but ill tell ya i won't ever give em up. You'll have to get your own :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cool, sounds like it was worth the wait :thumbsup: ... Don't burn em up before we

get a group ride goin :joystick:

The Avon Azaro 'I' was an awesome tyre (the 'II' was apparently even better); good to hear they're still up to scratch (so to speak).

What I liked most about Azaros was the way they maintained consistent handling right up to the end (and I took them well and truly to the end in 6000km). Hopefully the Storm gives the same wear characteristics.

RE. PSI - Avons usually like relatively high pressures, say 38/42. Eeeen will be along shortly to clarify.

Only thing i notice more now are the bumps. The dunflops def dampened them better. However i think that may be due to incorrect suspension settings for me and the bike. I will get it adjusted as soon as i can then i can give a more thorough report on em.

RE. PSI - Avons usually like relatively high pressures, say 38/42. Eeeen will be along shortly to clarify.

Surprisingly, the Storms are happy with reduced pressure. :rolleyes:

I'm running about 34F/38R, which is the first time I've not run recommended pressure for a very long time. They actually feel really good at this setting.

Another thing: the rear Azaro I had on before had chicken strips about 15-20mm wide. The current tyre has none - it's scrubbed in edge-to-edge. That is weird too, and speaks volumes about the confidence I have in these tyres, as I've never worn a set like that apart from when I've been on a group ride in the twisties, and yet except for a short group ride at moderate pace a couple of weeks ago, it's all been commuting.

I've found I've had to undo a learned pattern of behaviour: whenever it's raining, I have to tell myself, "There's MORE grip than you think there is!" as I've got used to being very tentative on wet roads. I've had one (1!) brief moment on the Storms, when the rear spun up momentarily when I was accelerating hard in the wet, over a lane marking that had been painted over with black paint or tar. It was over before I'd had time to react.

Surprisingly, the Storms are happy with reduced pressure. :beer:

I'm running about 34F/38R, which is the first time I've not run recommended pressure for a very long time. They actually feel really good at this setting.

Another thing: the rear Azaro I had on before had chicken strips about 15-20mm wide. The current tyre has none - it's scrubbed in edge-to-edge. That is weird too, and speaks volumes about the confidence I have in these tyres, as I've never worn a set like that apart from when I've been on a group ride in the twisties, and yet except for a short group ride at moderate pace a couple of weeks ago, it's all been commuting.

I've found I've had to undo a learned pattern of behaviour: whenever it's raining, I have to tell myself, "There's MORE grip than you think there is!" as I've got used to being very tentative on wet roads. I've had one (1!) brief moment on the Storms, when the rear spun up momentarily when I was accelerating hard in the wet, over a lane marking that had been painted over with black paint or tar. It was over before I'd had time to react.

Ian, I know they're good tires, but you've got new boingers at both ends now too, makes a world of difference! :thumbsup:

Cool, sounds like it was worth the wait :thumbsup: ... Don't burn em up before we

get a group ride goin :joystick:

Yep, I'm looking forward to that! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ian, I know they're good tires, but you've got new boingers at both ends now too, makes a world of difference! :thumbsup:

:lol:

"boinger"....ROFLMAO Gotta remember that word....I learn so much here..... :beer:

Three way re-adjustment too! One in front, one in back, and one in the pants! :beer:

True, and they have helped.

I just can't remember which I fitted first: the tires or the suspension. I think it was the tires.

It may well be that the stiffer suspension (and altered geometry) is giving me better feedback and feel.

Regardless of that, I REALLY like these tires. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

hey for the 07 08 models are the stock tires that bad that if i get a vfr i should replace them asap or try and work a deal to get a discount for avon storms in trade for the stockers on the bike from the factory

i would be using the bike as my only form of transport i would be selling the car to buy it

a lot of commuting and freeway riding not too many twisties

thanks

Archived