Guest FLYONWALL9

All these tire threads reminded me I am going to have to get a new

front shoe. I just got a Road Attack for the rear and have a Battleax

on the front that is on its last leg.

Would I get a more even wear front to rear because the front would

be a bit softer. The front to me has always seemed to have a bit less

grip to me. Or should I stay with a Road Attack on the front also? I know

I have always heard don't mix brands but within the same brand is cool

to mix compounds, I know the race cats do.

120-60-17 is the size.

All these tire threads reminded me I am going to have to get a new

front shoe. I just got a Road Attack for the rear and have a Battleax

on the front that is on its last leg.

Would I get a more even wear front to rear because the front would

be a bit softer. The front to me has always seemed to have a bit less

grip to me. Or should I stay with a Road Attack on the front also? I know

I have always heard don't mix brands but within the same brand is cool

to mix compounds, I know the race cats do.

120-60-17 is the size.

:rolleyes: obviously a softer tire will wear faster then a hard tire.

If your riding sanely on the street mixing tires won't matter much.

I have never had a issue with mixing tires and always run the softer tire on the front. Find a combo you like and run'em! :thumbsup:

JUST what I needed to know.

I really think that was a major player in my lowside, I lost front end grip on entry and it has

always as I said felt a bit loose in the front end.

THANKS BAILEY!

my first set of tires were m1/z6. m1 inspired confidence while i quickly lost the same in the z6. that being said, the tires did not cause any issues with each other or in riding. my issue was with the quality/type of tire, not the mxing....go for it.

just dont put a studded ice tire up front and 350 in the rear.. your on a vfr not an OCC :rolleyes: :P

Fear not my friend, they wont ft :blink: ... Hard enough to get a 160-60-18 on it :thumbsup:

I'm running a Road Attack on the front and a Sport Attack on the rear. Not the way it's supposed to be - usually you want the softer tire on the front.

I mounted Road Attacks front and rear last spring and the rear wore out first (no surprise there) tho it did last over several thousand miles. When I replaced it I wasn't planning to stick with Conti's for another season, but wanted a matched set of tires - at least in tread design - so to finish off the front Conti I went with the softer Sport Attack rear, figuring they'd be done at about the same time so I can move on to a different set of matched tires this spring (probably Avon Storms).

Last fall I felt the front slip a hair a couple times. Talk about a bad feeling. I think the tire may have lost a bit of its grip after 8-9k, but I also know the roads were colder and my tires not as warm in the cold weather when those tiny slips happened. As long as I'm riding at a reduced pace in the corners I'm fine with this set-up, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you just put a new Road Attack on the rear and feel like you've felt the front slip in the past, go with a Sport Attack. I would think that the Sport front and Road rear would wear about the same, or the front might even wear a little faster depending on just how soft that compound is.

I loved my Road Attacks and they handled great and lasted many miles, but I'm just ready to try something else for this year.

I'm running a Road Attack on the front and a Sport Attack on the rear. Not the way it's supposed to be - usually you want the softer tire on the front.

I mounted Road Attacks front and rear last spring and the rear wore out first (no surprise there) tho it did last over several thousand miles. When I replaced it I wasn't planning to stick with Conti's for another season, but wanted a matched set of tires - at least in tread design - so to finish off the front Conti I went with the softer Sport Attack rear, figuring they'd be done at about the same time so I can move on to a different set of matched tires this spring (probably Avon Storms).

Last fall I felt the front slip a hair a couple times. Talk about a bad feeling. I think the tire may have lost a bit of its grip after 8-9k, but I also know the roads were colder and my tires not as warm in the cold weather when those tiny slips happened. As long as I'm riding at a reduced pace in the corners I'm fine with this set-up, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If you just put a new Road Attack on the rear and feel like you've felt the front slip in the past, go with a Sport Attack. I would think that the Sport front and Road rear would wear about the same, or the front might even wear a little faster depending on just how soft that compound is.

I loved my Road Attacks and they handled great and lasted many miles, but I'm just ready to try something else for this year.

THANKS TIM,

I felt it slip more than once even before it washed out and low sided. It will be the last set

of BT's I buy and was on the bike when I got it. The Conti I have now may have 100 perhaps

a bit more miles. Grip for the rear isn't a problem with as low a hp as my little bike has. I

think part of my lowside was like you exp. with cooler temps and tires. Mine happened on

a corner that I had taken several times and felt the same.

What kind of milage did you get out of your Sport Attack? What type of riding do you do?

Did you mostly ride in the warmer months? This will give me an idea on road timps sorta.

I'm hardly ever on major hwy's.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

What kind of milage did you get out of your Sport Attack? What type of riding do you do?

Did you mostly ride in the warmer months? This will give me an idea on road timps sorta.

I'm hardly ever on major hwy's.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

I just put on the rear Sport Attack near the end of the '07 riding season, so I probably have less than 1000 miles on it so far. I try to ride year round, but the weather and roads have been terrible over the last month. I ride a lot of straight miles for trips and commuting, and I'm usually pretty easy on the throttle for acceleration, but dial it up a bit in the few short twisties around here. I would say it's wearing fairly evenly so far, but wearing faster than the Road Attack did, which makes sense.

I may go ahead and replace the front Road Attack this spring even if there is still some tread left on it. I might go for a Sport Attack to match the rear tire for now, then put another set of sport touring tires on it before my first long trip this year.

Archived