Wireless Rear Video Camera And Display

wgnorman

Question

• Member Contributer

I would like to mount a small LCD display - about 2-4" with a rear mounted camera to serve as a "rear view" mirror. LCD display would have to be capable of dispplaying image in sunlight. I don't care if it is color or black and white image - just would like to be able to look down and see a clear view of what's behind me - anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks

Grant

13 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Thanks - Ant-Systems looks like a good possiblity! Plus they're only about 75 miles away!

Grant

• Member Contributer

Is that the way you really want to go, or would you be interested in a heads-up view, on your helmet? (Optics).

saw one mounted on a pantera kit car at a show in daytona many years ago. The screen was like 1 or 2 inches and he mounted it on flexible duct so he could position it any where.

I wasnt too interested in the camera as i was drooling over the chevy V8 mounted to a very rare and hard to find transaxle (cant remember the name right now) ooh lalala.

Look into the RV supplier world. most have them as standard equipment now..

I posted this idea some time ago but didn't get favorable responses. I was also thinking of adapting the system sold at Costco at 80 bucks, color camera and all. they even have a later version that has LED/Night vision on it. I think it's still good to have a central rear view screen to supplement the two side mirrors, specially if you drive in congested areas.

I'll eventually install the system on the bike to try it out, but I'm still having problems figuring out a good way to mount the screen under the windshield. The camera will mount nicely right on the rectangular rear reflector above the license plate with maybe silicone glue. Power is right near there at the tail light.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Is that the way you really want to go, or would you be interested in a heads-up view, on your helmet? (Optics).

Actually, a portable helmet version would maybe be best so I can use it with multiple bikes. The real problem is the GSXR - mirrors are almost impossible to see anything. C14 and FZ1 aren't bad.

• Member Contributer
I posted this idea some time ago but didn't get favorable responses. I was also thinking of adapting the system sold at Costco at 80 bucks, color camera and all. they even have a later version that has LED/Night vision on it. I think it's still good to have a central rear view screen to supplement the two side mirrors, specially if you drive in congested areas.

I'll eventually install the system on the bike to try it out, but I'm still having problems figuring out a good way to mount the screen under the windshield. The camera will mount nicely right on the rectangular rear reflector above the license plate with maybe silicone glue. Power is right near there at the tail light.

Beck

95 VFR

I think you may be on to something - but a lot of the problems I've heard is getting a good display that works in direct light. Also, ideally, I'd like to have a Velcro backed display and camera - with wireless communications and quick plugs for power so I could move from bike to bike with in minutes. (unless they were low enough cost to buy for multiple bikes)

I know the technology is there - just not a lot of people putting it together yet - but I agree that bikes are in desperate need of a good central rear view - ALL bikes I've owned have some side mirror limitations.

You should see the Ducati 848 mirrors!! WORTHLESS!!! I might have to do the camera thing is the bar-end mirrors I just installed don't work out!

One of my dad's neighbors installed a small wireless camera that he got from PepBoys auto parts for about $75.00 on his Ninja 600 and he seems to love it. The camera comes with a license plate bracket that he redrilled to fit the tag on his bike and a 4" screen that he mounted on the bars. I took a look at it and it seemed as though it would work pretty well. He also said that he didn't have a problem seeing it in the daylight. He puts in a lot of long miles on the bike, from Florida to Virginia as an example, quite frequently and said he really does enjoy it. He may have my dad sold on one for his Wing.

I hope any rear camera system allows you to flip the image, otherwise you could have interesting experiences when changing lanes!

The Costco sourced camera (VR3 brand) I got can flip it's image so you can have it work like a rear veiw mirror. The color picture quality is surprisingly very clear and bright too I think any problems in bright sunlight conditions, if there are any, can be solved by buying one of those little foldable aluminum sun hoods meant for digitals cameras.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Actually, a portable helmet version would maybe be best so I can use it with multiple bikes. The real problem is the GSXR - mirrors are almost impossible to see anything. C14 and FZ1 aren't bad.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/11/...orcycle-helmet/

There's another kind. Seperate, that you can put on any helmet. Forgot the name. Been on the board before. No reviews, though. D-oh!

Archived