Swmoto Tire

y2kvfr

• Member Contributer

I wanted to give a :thumbsup: to SWMotoTire.

I've needed a new set of shoes for my '00 since early August, never really set aside any $$$ for a new set, was bantering around the idea of Conti Road Attacks, or pilot powers. I wanted to try something different, as I've been running Battlaxes since my OEMs wore out.

Well, Christmas morning, after opening my overstuffed stocking and only 1 present, my wife/CEO/CFO sent me out to the garage. In the garage was a Lund Genesis Trifold tonneau for my pick'em up truck, a cargo bar and a set of B'Stones for the vif.

She called SW Moto to order them. They sent her to the garage to get the make/model/year and info for the tires that were on it ('010 front and '020 rear).

The gentleman on the phone told her that that was an unusual combination, and that I must be a very knowledgeable, particular, experienced rider (well, I do ride a vfr, right? :huh: )

I guess they went back and forth with phone calls and emails before he suggested running the '014/'020 combo.

My wife had nothing but good things to say about SWMoto Tire (one of the places I happened to hint about 4 MONTHS AGO!).

I can't wait until a little warmer weather (currently -1F in the Berkshires MA USA) to spoon them on with my B-Day present (HF Tire changer).

I wanted to give a :thumbsup: to SWMotoTire.

[snip]

I can't wait until a little warmer weather (currently -1F in the Berkshires MA USA) to spoon them on with my B-Day present (HF Tire changer).

You will like the 014/020 combo if you liked the 010/020 combo. That's what did and do run now...

When you use the HF changer, get a length of garden hose and cut three 2 inch pieces (split down the middle) to use for 'rim protectors' when clamping down the wheel. If you don't use something like this, the wheel will spin and scratch (learned the hard way). Also, the mount/demount bar is pretty crappy. I only use the HF changer to hold the wheel while I spoon the tire on with irons.

Pick up one of those flexible cutting boards from the local kitchen store to wrap the bead breaker and rim seat to prevent scratching the wheel while breaking the bead. Having the tires sit in the sun for a bit makes a huge difference for getting them on and off.

• Member Contributer
Congrats on the great wife! :huh:

Yeah... I second that!

:huh: +1.gif

Now if I can find a new bike for her! Yes, she rides too, but HATED the GS500E that I had gotten her for a song (can't blame her really, felt REALLY exposed riding that).

I'll probably find a used ex500 (is it a ninja now? as soon as I got the vif I stopped looking at the smaller bikes), or GS500F, or some partially faired smaller bike (She's 5'8", and I'm NOT flipping the eccentric on the vif for her to ride it smile.gif )

BTW: I sent a Thank you note to SWMotoTire, and got a personal reply, again, these guys seem to be genuinely good people!

-t

• Member Contributer
You will like the 014/020 combo if you liked the 010/020 combo. That's what did and do run now...

When you use the HF changer, get a length of garden hose and cut three 2 inch pieces (split down the middle) to use for 'rim protectors' when clamping down the wheel. If you don't use something like this, the wheel will spin and scratch (learned the hard way). Also, the mount/demount bar is pretty crappy. I only use the HF changer to hold the wheel while I spoon the tire on with irons.

Pick up one of those flexible cutting boards from the local kitchen store to wrap the bead breaker and rim seat to prevent scratching the wheel while breaking the bead. Having the tires sit in the sun for a bit makes a huge difference for getting them on and off.

Thanx Hutch. I only had two pucker moments on the BStones. Once when they weren't warmed up yet and I had to panic stop and another time when I cracked the throttle in 2nd gear in a peg scraper lean. The only other complaint is the tankslappers due to a bit of cupping.

I saw the post about using the cutting board material on the HF changer. That and I have some tool dip, but I suspect that won't grab the powder coat too well.

-t

• Member Contributer

My buddy applied Tool-Dip or something similar to the three clamps, works fine. I do use garden hose for rim protectors under the tire spoons.

We put a couple of 2x4s down on the floor for the wheel to rest on when breaking the bead.

He's got one of the No-Mar bars, which we've had some success with for getting tires off. We always end up using spoons for getting them back on.

• Member Contributer
He's got one of the No-Mar bars, which we've had some success with for getting tires off. We always end up using spoons for getting them back on.

Hey Fallz... Noticed your .sig. What happened to fixxxxer? Did I miss something?

Archived