Best Budget Camera Setup

YoshiHNS

• Member Contributer

just a little update. For those of you who liked the ATC2K, and heard they released a couple new ones since, don't get excited. The new ones, ATC3K and ATC5K, all look worse then the ATC2K. Though I have seen the 2K for under $80 now, so grap em while they're cheap.

• Member Contributer

Anyone on here check out the GoPro Hero Wide angle cameras? I've been selling a bunch of them to the WERA guys. Cool camera. Cheap. Flash based. Waterproof. 5MP. And they actually have good sound.

• Member Contributer
Anyone on here check out the GoPro Hero Wide angle cameras? I've been selling a bunch of them to the WERA guys. Cool camera. Cheap. Flash based. Waterproof. 5MP. And they actually have good sound.

I've used it and they work great. The sound kind of sucks and you have to be careful how you mount it or you'll get a lot of vibration. Once you get your setup worked out it will produce great videos.... like this one of me at Mid-Ohio last year (fast forward past the motocross part):

http://www.sportbikeforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28778

• Member Contributer

I use GoPros and I love 'em. I have not received my 50mm lens (standard) camera yet, but have 2 of the wide angles. They have very little vibration that I have ever noticed, even at high speeds and with a suction cup mount....

Here is my CBR600 with two mounted during my break-in period on the new bike.

gallery_6467_2862_55178.jpg

CBR600_1a.jpg

They do have a minor sound quality issue being in a waterproof case, but you can pull the lens cover. However I don't recommend that for most uses when mounted on the outer part of a fairing. The camera ens is not replaceable (the case lens is) and I have picked up quite a few dings on the lens covers so far (road debris damage that goes un-noticed on most stuff....)

The wide angle cameras do great for POV & close ringing (track & racing), but are not so good for street riding if you want to film you buddy...you have to stay too close....but that is a function of a wide angle lens.

I have video here from mini-motard racing (bike and helmet cam) and the RC45 (various mounted places).

For $189 or so, ya can''t go wrong!

You have to use the good batteries, as they are sensitive to cheap ones.

Memory is limited to 2 Gig cards. I get about 50 mi on a card.

I still highly recommend them!

• 3 weeks later...
I use GoPros and I love 'em. I have not received my 50mm lens (standard) camera yet, but have 2 of the wide angles. They have very little vibration that I have ever noticed, even at high speeds and with a suction cup mount....

Is it the 5 MegaPix ones you have or 3 Megapix?

I see these come for a price I can aford. Have wounder a long time to get some cool ride vid:s.

is the Wide angle or standard the most recomemded?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

well, for those who are still interested in getting a camera setup:

Looking at dropping a lot of money on different cameras to test them during TMAC. I'll be buying from all price ranges ($80-$800). I'll create a new thread for this once the times comes. But the idea is that whoever is interested in a specific camera can try it out during TMAC. Afterwards, you'll be able to compare it to the other cameras out there. And if you like one of the cameras, i'll sell it on the spot for not more than what i paid - shipping. Like I said, i'll create a more detailed thread with the cameras that i'll be bringing.

So if you're still looking into cameras, other than regular miniDV camcorders, and can wait, it might be worth it.

Archived