Foot Peg Replacement

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

After tearing off my right OEM footpeg, I decided I would replace them with light wieght Lockhart Phillips adjustable foot pegs. Completely remove the old peg, take out the cotter pin, remove the holderpin and washer.

peg01.jpg

The Peg is camberd to allow it to pivot.

peg05.jpg

I put the footpeg in place then slid the holderpin just far enough to hold the peg.

peg07.jpg

Push the spring back in place like so

peg08.jpg

Slide the holder pin all the way down.

peg09.jpg

Replace the washer

peg12.jpg

Put in a new cotter pin and bend it around the holder pin.

Turn the adjustable foot peg to the desired postion

peg10.jpg

Tighten the allen bolt

peg11.jpg

Check the peg for freedom of movement, it should be able to pivot easily

peg03.jpg

peg02.jpg

There were some issues with the new pegs the required me to adjust the control surfaces, since these pegs ride about half and inch lower than the OEMs.

• 2 months later...

After tearing off my right OEM footpeg, I decided I would replace them with light wieght Lockhart Phillips adjustable foot pegs.

Interestingly, I noticed the new pegs on a photo of your bike before I found this how-to page.

How do the new pegs feel? ?In particular, do you have any concerns in the wet? ?Is the one inch drop noticable?

Thanks, your work is an inspiration! :bow:

• Forum CEO

It takes some of the pressure off my knees, being lower, however I had to adjust the brake and shifter to bet better control, there is a pictorical on that too somwhere,  I have a better feel for  the road now I can feel the tires gripping better now.

The pegs are good. :idea:

Guest afterburn
Nice pegs, but what do you do when you already can't adjust the brake lever low enough with the standard pegs, cause the bold on the brake cylinder is already turned all the way in?  sad.gif Right now I have to lift my foot off the pedal on my VFR750 to be able to use the rear brake. This sucks. My only gripe about (most) bikes.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest plastics

I am 6 feet, with 33 inch inseam...I always find my VFR750F is a bit for me as for leg room..and this weekend, after 2 eight hour days of canyon chasing..my feet are really sore from being bended for 2 days.

I had thought of getting more room.  And here is my plan, I visited a bike shop who had the Philip-Lockhard foot pegs that Miguel wrote about, and indeed, they would provide 1/2 inch more room.

On top of that, I am going to have my seat recushioned and recovered to provide another 1/2 inch more height.

Hopefully with those 2 modifications, I will get another inch of much needed leg room..I'll keep everyone posted to let you all know who it works out.

Plastics

95 VFR750F

Guest afterburn
This shows verybody is different. I am 6'2" with 36" inseam, and I never have troubles with my legs. In fact, I am thinking about mounting a rearset which will put the pegs back and up an inch orso. smile.gif

Guest Thewhitmores

6'1", 34" inseam and would love 1" lower pegs.  I don't even come close to scraping the hero bobs in my riding and could use the extra room.  Just last week after riding for about 2 hours I started to get cramps in my right hip.  I either need lower pegs, or need to start doing yoga!  

Miguel, can you rotate the pegs around so that the even lower flat part is what your feet go on?  Or is that how you set them up?  Anyone know of a peg that sits even a touch lower that would work for our bikes?

Harris has some footrest kits on closeout, only 4 sets left that have adjustable footrests. Not sure how much adjustment they offer, but you could ask.

Note that these are for '98-'01 models only, AFAIK:

http://www.harris-performance.com/website....logBody

Oh, another note on footpegs, I replaced mine with pegs from an '86 VFR750. They aren't any lower, but they sure look trick. They match the passenger footpegs perfectly!  :wheel:

Just use the pins and springs from the new VFR, and the pegs only from the old one.

Not sure if this would work on '90-'97 or '02+ models. ???

Here's a (blurry) pic:

Guest VFR_ATL

Miguel,

Great article!

The only ergonomic mod that I need is the one that you illustrate. My legs were killing me coming home from Arizona this Spring, that 1/2" would be most welcome.

Do you know the LP part #? Their web site is pretty good, but just to be sure.

Regards,

VFR_ATL

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

HS,

Do you by any chance recall the specific part # of the pegs you used. On my last visit to their site, LP did not list the viffer (just about everything else). What bike cross references with the VFR?

tia,

jim

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
I have a set of LP pegs on order. The good news is the pegs for a XX are "thought" to fit the viffers. I'll know more in a few days. The not so good news is LP has discontinued all but one or two peg product lines. The choices are slim indeed.

• 3 months later...
Guest downtick

I'm trying to find some pegs to use to lower my feet on a  2004 VFR/Interceptor.

I'm wondering... 1) What pegs do I buy to drop them 1 inch, and 2) how do I lower the brake and shift lever along with them?

Thanks,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO
I'm trying to find some pegs to use to lower my feet on a ?2004 VFR/Interceptor.

I'm wondering... 1) What pegs do I buy to drop them 1 inch, and 2) how do I lower the brake and shift lever along with them?

Thanks,

Dave

I ended up removing the lower pinch bolt on the back of the master cyclinder.  This frees up about 1/4 of play on the adjustment screw, which lowers the brake petal almost an inch.  I lowered it so much the brake rod to the master cylinder was almost touching the brake lever.  I suppose if I need more adjustment I will have to grind down the rod a few mm for clearance.

Guest downtick

Is there a way to adjust the brake pedal without touching the pinch bolt.  People have told me it's in the manual, but I have yet to find it.

Is there a screw to turn or something to lower the brake pedal?

Thanks,

dave

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice looking pegs. Where'd ya git 'em?

You also win the "clean chain award". wink.gif