2002 And Later Wiring Harness Recall

JES_VFR

Well, I just got the dealership's "letter of responsibility" today regarding the vtec vfr800's wiring harness recall. As the parts manager and service writer in store, pounced on the letter and then immediately called Honda for latest poop.

Currently Honda does not have recall kit prepared, in fact the only thing have right now is an inspection procedure.

My letter informed me that I have three customers that purchased these VFR's between '02 and '06 that I'm supposed to contact, but I have already requested 12 kits when they released for general distribution.

That means that I'll get three kits automatically when Honda actually starts to produce them, then 9 more when the non-targeted release occurs.

I know that there are more than three 6th generation VFR's in the southern NJ/PA/DE area, so I'm putting this out to you guys.

If you want to have the recall work done at a shop where a forum member and vfr owner is going to be involved, let me know.

very cool. hope that the VFR owners north of the border like me get a letter soon.

even though I already made the wiring changes myself - I'm curious to see what the big ship Honda plan to do with this situation..... :blink:

Well, I just got the dealership's "letter of responsibility" today regarding the vtec vfr800's wiring harness recall. As the parts manager and service writer in store, pounced on the letter and then immediately called Honda for latest poop.

Currently Honda does not have recall kit prepared, in fact the only thing have right now is an inspection procedure.

My letter informed me that I have three customers that purchased these VFR's between '02 and '06 that I'm supposed to contact, but I have already requested 12 kits when they released for general distribution.

That means that I'll get three kits automatically when Honda actually starts to produce them, then 9 more when the non-targeted release occurs.

I know that there are more than three 6th generation VFR's in the southern NJ/PA/DE area, so I'm putting this out to you guys.

If you want to have the recall work done at a shop where a forum member and vfr owner is going to be involved, let me know.

That would be great! But I live at the other end of southern PA.

Southwestern PA to be exact.

I can still try to keep you informed as to when the parts come out and such.

And my statement stands, If you ever have to bring in your VFR, I will do my best to make it right.

• Member Contributer

OK.... I don't want the local HONDA dealer to handle my repair for the ground wire recall. They change my tires and do the PA state inspection, but I am sure I need to find a shop to do the electric work. I just don't trust their judgement or their ability to effect the repair without screwing something else up.

So...JES VFR, how do I find a dealer who CAN do the work? Is a bigger shop better? Do I ask to see the mechanic Honda Factory Certification if there is one. I have a new trailer ready to go anywhere within 100 miles of more.

Is there a way to see if a shop is qualified to complete the work?

Is YOUR shop prepared to complete the work?

• Member Contributer

Ummm don't you mean '02 to '05? Last I checked on Honda's site it didn't include '06 and Cycle World's latest issue seems to agree with that. Am I missing something?

Exactly what years of the 6th gen are covered? I thought that the 06 had a diferent harness or somthing.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure its '02 to '05. The '06 and '07 have a new harness.

Sorry, I did not see your response since my post was 3 minutes after yours... I am a slow typer and was still typing when you posted

• Member Contributer
Exactly what years of the 6th gen are covered? I thought that the 06 had a diferent harness or somthing.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure its '02 to '05. The '06 and '07 have a new harness.

Sorry, I did not see your response since my post was 3 minutes after yours... I am a slow typer and was still typing when you posted

LOL no problem!

OK.... I don't want the local HONDA dealer to handle my repair for the ground wire recall. They change my tires and do the PA state inspection, but I am sure I need to find a shop to do the electric work. I just don't trust their judgement or their ability to effect the repair without screwing something else up.

So...JES VFR, how do I find a dealer who CAN do the work? Is a bigger shop better? Do I ask to see the mechanic Honda Factory Certification if there is one. I have a new trailer ready to go anywhere within 100 miles of more.

Is there a way to see if a shop is qualified to complete the work?

Is YOUR shop prepared to complete the work?

Well no Honda shop is really prepared to complete this work, since Honda itself has not released a recall kit yet.

I know that when the parts are released, my shop will be prepared to take care of it.

Ummm don't you mean '02 to '05? Last I checked on Honda's site it didn't include '06 and Cycle World's latest issue seems to agree with that. Am I missing something?

Hey my letter say's '02-'06, so I don't know if it is a typo or that they suspect something with the 06's.

I know that the 3 listed owners that I'm automatically getting kits for are '03, '04 and '05 years.

But what the heck I'll bug Honda tomorrow for some more info on the recall.

• Member Contributer

I got my letter a couple days ago. I was out riding this afternoon and stopped in at the local Honda dealer in Windham, NH to see if they were aware of the recall and if they had the parts available to do the work. They said they have already completed at least two of the harness recalls and that I can drop my bike off any time to get it done. They don't have the parts in stock but apparently can get them within a day. After reading all the posts about dealers who couldn't promise the work to be done soon because they couldn't get the parts, I wasn't expecting such a quick response. I'm planning to have it done next week.

I don't know why Honda is only releasing the recall kits in dribs and drabs, but I could order about ten tomorrow.

Apparently all Honda dealers don't get treated the same by Honda even with recall stuff.

Archived