I'm Stranded: 6th Gen Won't Start - Fuel Pump?

Guest Sepp

2004 VFR runs fine to work today. After work, I put the key in and no customary whine of the fuel pump - starter cranks, but engine won't fire like it's getting no fuel. Where should I start looking to solve the problem? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Check the fuses, under the right side cover. Although, NOT to make you panic, fuel pump shorts seem relativly common, on 6th gens.

Is you handle bar switch on. :P

I don't think the starter cracks over with the kill switch off.

I'd check for some loose connections to the fuel pump under the tank. Look for gasoline leaks too. Maybe you're tank's empty? :goofy:

I'm pretty sure checking the fuses isn't going to help. I just looked over the VFR's wiring diagram and the fuel pump's power doesn't go through the fuse block. :unsure:

Have any buzzing from the dash area, could be the Blue connector ground wire problem.

Easy to check. Take a 12" piece of wire strip each end about 1/2", find the blue connector under left lower fairing near fuel tank(see pics from post) find green wire in the bottom corner of the connector. Try to shove one end of the wire into the front half of the blue connector (headlight side) be sure it contacts the wire/pin, turn key on/switch on and tough the other end of the wire to the frame. If fuel pump primes, you have the ground wire problem. Just make that wire permanent and your good to go.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18560

• Member Contributer
2004 VFR runs fine to work today. After work, I put the key in and no customary whine of the fuel pump - starter cranks, but engine won't fire like it's getting no fuel. Where should I start looking to solve the problem? Thanks.

Make sure your PCIII still lights up. If it stopped working, the fuel pump won't prime.

Triple-checked the kill switch - doh (starter won't engage with kill switch off), tank's is not empty (i'm not that much a noob), No buzzing under the dash, no fuel pump whirr, PCIII OK.

Lemme dig under the fuel tank.

Where's the 30 amp main fuse?

Triple-checked the kill switch - doh (starter won't engage with kill switch off), tank's is not empty (i'm not that much a noob), No buzzing under the dash, no fuel pump whirr, PCIII OK.

Lemme dig under the fuel tank.

Where's the 30 amp main fuse?

Nothing under tank to worry about.

30amp is next to battery under seat, the thread i posted a link to shows everything that could go wrong and where it is! :thumbsup:

ps I've had several PC's fail on me!

Try the extra ground wire on the blue connector if you find no other problem!

• Member Contributer
..... tank's is not empty (i'm not that much a noob),...

:thumbsup:

Bump. Was it the P.C.? Generally, when the 30amp main is blown, nothing works. But if you're gett'n intermittant, could be that fuse wire. Hope it's not the pump itself. PITA. Not hard, but a PITA.

David,

Interesting. I'll be storing that in the back of my wooden head. Thanks for the tip!

• 6 months later...

I have a 2000 VFR and am having the same problem. I'm just wondering if you guys would have the same recommendations for a 2000 model? My battery is about a year old. I haven't been riding the last few months, so I have had the battery hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. to keep it charged. I go to start it the other day and it just turns over with no fuel pump priming.

The FI light comes on when I turn the ignition on, but goes out. I've checked the fuses under the seat near the battery (Main fuse and fuses in the fuse box) and they look fine. I don't have much experience with electrical issues, so I'm not sure what is most likely my issue on a 2000 model. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, John.

I have a 2000 VFR and am having the same problem. I'm just wondering if you guys would have the same recommendations for a 2000 model? My battery is about a year old. I haven't been riding the last few months, so I have had the battery hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. to keep it charged. I go to start it the other day and it just turns over with no fuel pump priming.

The FI light comes on when I turn the ignition on, but goes out. I've checked the fuses under the seat near the battery (Main fuse and fuses in the fuse box) and they look fine. I don't have much experience with electrical issues, so I'm not sure what is most likely my issue on a 2000 model. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, John.

Hi, it seems I'am having also almost exactly same problem as of today on my 2004 Interceptor. Fuse is ok and F1 seems to charge when turning ignition, but does not stop to do so. F1 light does not come on, but only lights very low when pushing start button. Any hints?

• Member Contributer

Take a look at the Tilt sensor. When they malfunction the computer will kill fuel and ignition. It REALLY sucks when it malfunctions when you're knee-deep in a curve!!

Thank you, but kindly explain a little further, as I am not clear what you mean with "tilt sensor". According to the manual there are numerous sensors, but none is called as such. Thanks for your help.

Take a look at the Tilt sensor. When they malfunction the computer will kill fuel and ignition. It REALLY sucks when it malfunctions when you're knee-deep in a curve!!

• Member Contributer

"Bank angle sensor." Kills the engine, when the bike is over too far. Sometimes, they are faulty.

• 1 month later...

Finally found the problem. It is the engine stop relay. Replaced it with one from another honda and bike works normal again. Now, need help to identify it on the microfiche, because it seems no such relay (with exact same description). Can anybody confirm starter relay (38501-GN2-014) is the right spare. Or, if not what is the number.

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Eberhard

Archived