Shots From The Bars

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

Here is my current RAM ball setup. Although there are bugs to this setup, I still prefer the long RAM arm which just sits over the stock screen. My handlebars are stock.

2743930180099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

There is no room for a two ball unit on the left grip at full lock. I also tried the reservoir mount but there is not enough space either when doing tight slow speed turns. I recently added a 45 degree ball for a RD detector but I am waiting for depression pricing.

You can see the camera just clears the screen.

2053522220099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the best standbye position for the camera - turned to the side - less crap if you are a target rich area ie bugs.

2166292330099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great write up, I missed this the first time. I've been thinking of doing the same thing but was really leary of putting a nice 12mp Cannon out in the air stream, a cheaper second camera is a good solution.

If you could, what is the distance between the top of your windshield and the top clutch mounting bolt? I need to order another RAM mount and want to get the right one, I've got different bars and windshield.

So you're making all of these shots in "green box" mode on the cameras?

Not sure what you mean here.

I now use Scenic/Landscape mode almost exclusively which eliminates focus requirements and eliminates time lag too. Most cameras seem to have a quick action button with Jagged peaks/flowers to switch between, which is the same thing.

I think Pete means the default auto setting. Using landscape seems to be the better choise here. My camera (Panasonic Lumix :cool: ) has several landscape settings, I will just have to play a bit with them and see what setting turns out best.

In post #24 you mention the camere must have a anti blur feature. What do you mean by that, image stabiliser?

• Member Contributer
So you're making all of these shots in "green box" mode on the cameras?

Not sure what you mean here.

I now use Scenic/Landscape mode almost exclusively which eliminates focus requirements and eliminates time lag too. Most cameras seem to have a quick action button with Jagged peaks/flowers to switch between, which is the same thing.

I think Pete means the default auto setting. Using landscape seems to be the better choise here. My camera (Panasonic Lumix +1.gif ) has several landscape settings, I will just have to play a bit with them and see what setting turns out best.

In post #24 you mention the camere must have a anti blur feature. What do you mean by that, image stabiliser?

Maybe you are easier on your gear than I am .................. :ph34r: Post up if you have any problems with the Lumix. Maybe they fixed the basic mechanical engineering problem.

The antiblur/stabilization feature is now pretty much standard even with the less expensive cameras ...so no worry. Yes the Landscape setting is the way to go, especially if you are shooting thru the screen (see my train shot earlier in this thread in CO with the rain drops to see why). Most of my shots are impromptu when means sometimes the lag to get an autofocus can be a problem when you are moving quickly or taking a shot off to the side...the result is you often get blurry images.

In my Canada trip thread you asked about filters etc. Back in the day, I used to use a lot of filters with several 35mm SLR rigs in some really difficult environments. They are not really appropriate here as you just do not know what is coming around the bend so you can not really compose and plan ahead. Plus the simple cameras I use now are not setup for filters................plus I have toooo much crap on tour anyway. And I would not put expensive camera on the bars but I suspect I will upgrade my tank bag camera. Good editing software obviates much of the need for filters as you can screw with the program to improve exposure/contrast etc.

Here is an example of a really tough exposure, where photo editing could not save the day but what a stretch of road. And it is worth posting as you get the idea............tour heaven.

2427936650099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Low light, shadows slow down shutter speeds which complicate/blur matters and snow capped mountains mean parts of the picture are way over exposed. Lots of snow can foul up a shot. Some cameras now even have Snow modes as part of various preprogrammed exposure settings or scenes. Most photo editing software these days can handle under exposures but over exposing is fraught with issues as the detail is washed out.

Next Bugs

• Member Contributer

The best tip to avoid bugs is not to ride or position the camera parallel to the direction of travel till you need it. If there are throngs of bugs .............forget it as the screen and or the camera will be covered in critter parts.

This is a special cleaning kit, I have put together after years of RAM camera exigencies. The package includes a specially designed and radiused pick device system and an optically safe tested and certified creature removal and cleaning apparatus.

2928560190099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The system is called a Photography Instrument Cleaning or PIC for short. The other utility device, Special Wide Application Brush, carries the acronym of SWAB and it was specifically designed for Q factor parameters. If you follow the operating and safety instructions they expunge all know insects, including those commonly found in the third world and in Berkeley California.

I have sourced the materials from the best available and most reputable manufactures. I have found the old growth Sequoia and Redwood mix on the pick apparatus to be the finest and most durable for extricating small carcasses and Bernoulli lift systems from the smallest of crevices. These woods are seasoned for smoothness and stored in a humidor prior to shipping and are packaged separately to maintain the correct environment. As you well know these trees are almost impervious to bugs and fire which only adds to their suitability. A gentle massage and pick with those fine instruments will also leave a fine scent that repels insects for subsequent prophylactic protection.

The SWAB utility device uses only the finest prewashed Egyptian cotton for extra softness and the natural fiber retains the strength necessary for multiple applications. It is particularly effective in removing encrusted and smashed endangered species. The strong but supple stem has been designed for just enough structural integrity to ensure your satisfaction in repeated usage while not being hard enough to damage lens elements or membranes. If needed a special chemical formula, the trade name is SALIVA, can be used on the tip to enable faster cleaning and...... Please call for shipping and handling instructions and as well as bulk pricing.

All devices have a lifetime warranty. Warning under no circumstances use these devices in your ear or mouth as damage may occur. In the event these precision tools are used in a human orifice, the warranty is null and void.

Today, I am offering these exclusive kits to VFRD members at the special price of $199.95. SALIVA sold separately in convenient Costco or warehouse club sized 55 gallon drums.

• Member Contributer

I have just started using a clutch RAM mount together with my camera. So far I have just tried some videos, but I sure would like to take

som stills as well.

When I mount my camera on the RAM arm I tighten it really hard in order to ensure that it doesn't fall off and does not shift position by itself.

How do you manage to get the sideview pics with the RAM? I guess you are not untightening the RAM arm when on the road? :unsure:

/Faceplant

• Member Contributer
I have just started using a clutch RAM mount together with my camera. So far I have just tried some videos, but I sure would like to take

som stills as well.

When I mount my camera on the RAM arm I tighten it really hard in order to ensure that it doesn't fall off and does not shift position by itself.

How do you manage to get the sideview pics with the RAM? I guess you are not untightening the RAM arm when on the road? :rolleyes:

/Faceplant

I think the key factor is to tighten the RAM fitting but not to make it too rigid. There is a middle ground between flopping around and welded in place. I leave it half tight all the time. You need to grab/hold/caress the camera anyway to shoot the picture so a little twist gets you in the right direction. If it is too loose you can always tighten a bit. You should be able to move the camera to get the side shots. Try in the parking lot first. After your shot if you are in a bug rich environment, you can twist the camera lens out of the line of fire.

2743930180099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

After all you never can tell when you will see a VFR on the road.

2531405060099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Or three 5th Generations in a row.

2425580440099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Actually holding the camera also has a benefit as it smooths any vibrations that may be about...really important on some bikes. You can also wrap the safety strap around the handle (not shown here) or put the strap inside RAM extension.

2484785240099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Beautiful pics. Much better than my recent, and first, attempt.

I recently got back from a two week 5,000+ mile trip. I brought a six-outlet power strip with me and a multi-battery charger so I could recharge my AA and AAA batteries, as well as my Scala Rider, without hogging the often only duplex outlet at a camp site. Also comes in handy in motel rooms that have a shortage of outlets.

I have a small Pentax 5 MP camera, as well as a GoPro Hero that takes video and stills and comes with a clear waterproof housing. I take a lot of batteries and change them at least daily.

Thanks for all of the great tips. I'll use them on my upcoming trip to Bar Harbor, Maine in the Fall! May even be able to get set up for my ride to Mid-Ohio this Friday.

• Member Contributer
I think the key factor is to tighten the RAM fitting but not to make it too rigid. There is a middle ground between flopping around and welded in place. I leave it half tight all the time. You need to grab/hold/caress the camera anyway to shoot the picture so a little twist gets you in the right direction. If it is too loose you can always tighten a bit. You should be able to move the camera to get the side shots. Try in the parking lot first. After your shot if you are in a bug rich environment, you can twist the camera lens out of the line of fire.

Thanks for the tip! :biggrin:

I guessed that you did something like this.

• Member Contributer

Another reason to have a RAM camera................a spare if you need to catch the Peloton.

After Armstrong's climb back today, you gotta wonder??? Maybe there is some hope for old guys.

2644726790099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I was having the same problem as Faceplant, how to rotate the camera without getting it become to loose and prevent it from starting to vibrate. I had an monopod laying around and noticed the swivel mount was screwed on top of the telescopic leg. I thought maybe I could mount the head on top of the RAM baseplate and to my surprise it was a straight swap :fing02: Now I can tilt the camera in all directions and also have a quick release for taking shots when parked next to the road. I haven't tested it yet but I think it will work OK.

I swapped the long swivelarm for a shorter substitute and some spacers.

gallery_5310_4809_86403.jpg

I may need another length RAM arm. In it's most vertical position with the lens in it's wides postion (28mm) the top of the screen is at 1/3 of the bottom of the photo :dry:

gallery_5310_4809_112549.jpg

When mounted in a lower position the top of that screen is just visible in the top of the photo. However I am not sure if the RAM mount will not sag when riding on bumpy roads.

gallery_5310_4809_109887.jpg

Of course when the camera is on the bike I remove the camera strap.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well my RAM camera saga has taken another turn.

My original Canon provided fantastic service but finally died.............lots of drops and I ripped the doors off by twisting too much for bank shots :blink:

The Panasonic Lumix was hopeless from the start and I finally gave up sending it back for repair ...unreliable!

The Kodak got gummed up with bugs in Canada and did not like off road dust/dirt/gooooo :ph34r:

2128997540099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Bug hits near Banff

2747786780099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

It was still working but

2552506580099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

but but but ....I could not count on the lens protection cover to open ...without a tap on the camera. This is not the thing when you are riding a MC

2555962440099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

So I went simple ........no moving lens parts and waterproof. I considered the new GoPRO Hero HD, but opted for the Fuji Z33...mostly due to cost and higher still resolution.

pic_04.jpg

So far so good...........may try some videos too.

Engineer Road in San Diego.........great day to ride...70s

2012509790099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Top of Laguna..about 52 degrees at 6K ft.

2226243780099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just an update to the thread.

I am still using the Fuji which has exceeded most of my requirements to date. This camera does triple duty.

2591071140099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2208563930099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2810725880099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is the current model of what I have. Olympus also makes a comparable unit and there may be others.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/xp/finepix_xp20/product_views/

Update to features I look for in a RAM camera:

* At least 10 meg resolution or more (this is not an issue anymore).

* SD card. I want both cameras and the Zumo to use one type of memory card. SD card seems to be the defacto standard.

* For a RAM mount, Zoom capability is less important than a wild field of view. With high res you can blow up the picture later anyway. You want to aim in the general direction and with wide angle you rarely miss a shot. IIMPORTANT - I now do not want a mechanical zoom as they are prone to dirt and bug damage.

* Dust, shock and water proof.

* Auto focus & Image Stabilization which are pretty standard on everything

* Easy on/off with gloves... this is problematic but you live with it.

* Burst mode would be nice to catch that perfect shot

* Love to have regular old AA/AAA batteries but that is not feasible. Unfortunately every freaking camera has a different battery.

As regards setting up the camera .... I pretty much go with Scenic/Scene Mode all the time now especially the longer the tour goes.

Not that this auto focus effect is not neat but it does the same thing on bugs....splat!

2733450000099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Setting the camera in Scene or Landscape Mode also has the collateral benefit of enhancing battery life.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Another update.

My waterproof Fuji continues to perform from the Bars.

Recent shots from my VFR Idaho tour. I moved the camera to the RAM Tank mount for this tour instead of my left grip but this was more about separating my SPOT and Zumo then anything else.

2442142170099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2912095530099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2842661370099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Still doing dual sport riding on my Wing! Moki Dugway in May!

2616933300099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I was so proud of myself to have finally have a camera which is reliable after hard drinking on the bars. And imagine my surprise when its updated cousin was last in this comparison test. But you ought to know anyway!!!!!

intro.jpg

Waterproof camera Comparison test

Looks like they like the Panasonic Best...........I destroyed a non waterproof Lumix but "You Gotta let GO sometimes". Too bad it does not have the slider on/off switch which I liked on my older Panasonic.

Lumixintro.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well what can I say .... no matter the specs...sometimes you just get lucky.

med_gallery_2144_6521_1712190.jpg

Lake Helen with Lassen Volcano over the shoulder. Waterproof, bugproof & shock resistant RAM camera still delivering ...mostly.

Archived