Front Forks/suspension

Guest vifferlad

Guest vifferlad

Hi people i wonder if you can help, my 91 vfr 750's forks are in need of a rebuild,new stansions etc................is there anywhere you would reccomend to get these from(im in the uk),or are there anyother setups from different bikes that would fit etc.

any help would be greatly received!

• Member Contributer
Hi people i wonder if you can help, my 91 vfr 750's forks are in need of a rebuild,new stansions etc................is there anywhere you would reccomend to get these from(im in the uk),or are there anyother setups from different bikes that would fit etc.

Germany is not to far away....

http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/fahrwerk-rc36.html

• Member Contributer

I think 98 to 05 super hawk would be an ez drop in if you would do the brakes too.

MD

• Member Contributer

0289.jpg

A very mild "frankenviffer" option is to fit forks from a VTR1000F (aka "Super Hawk" in USA). It is a fairly simple bolt-on solution that allows you to use Fireblade calipers and gives you some degree of adjustability. My web page showing the measurements can be found here.

I did the conversion around nine years ago (:rolleyes:), but I'm now converting my FP to some variation of SP1 upside-down forks...eventually! HTH.

Ciao,

Guest vifferlad

Hi chaps,well thanks very much for all your help! wasnt too sure what a superhawk was! but i do know what vtr is!haha

So this vtr/superhawk conversion,easy to do??

• Member Contributer
Hi chaps,well thanks very much for all your help! wasnt too sure what a superhawk was! but i do know what vtr is!haha

So this vtr/superhawk conversion,easy to do??

Couldn't be easier. Does not alter any suspension geometry, either, unlike the more radical swaps... :wheel:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Ah, that's UK-speak for a CBR900RR or 1000RR, m'lud... wink.gif

The calipers pictured above are VTR1000F calipers, and they work very well. However, the more rounded-looking calipers from a later model CBR900RR will fit with slight modification, are bigger and **when coupled with a matching master cylinder**, give even more stopping power. (I have calipers from a 600RR on my FP at the moment, which are very similar to late-model 900RR calipers, but black.) The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is that if you change the calipers, you have to the change master cylinder as well. So, buy the calipers and the m/c together--they are often sold as a set, anyway.

When i first did the conversion I used the 14mm 900RR master cylinder (same as the VTR came with), which had a remote reservoir, as seen in the pics. I later changed to a 14mm integral-reservoir m/c because the remote got in the way of the fuel gauge. I think that came from an ST1100, actually, or perhaps it was a VFR800? One of those. Only came in black, so I then had to find a matching black clutch master cylinder (which came from the other of those two bikes).

Seriously, compared to the two-pot sliding calipers you've got now, even the VTR calipers will be noticeably better. Mine were. But as an excess addict, I always need more! That's why I installed the 600RR calipers, and why I'm now putting on new forks featuring radial-style calipers...

The front wheel and disks pictured are from a '94-'97 VFR750, btw, but you can still use the original wheel/disks if you want. The fender is VTR1000F, which was also sold (over here anyway) in R-157 Italian red, matching the early RC36. I think that's all you need, though I also Race-Tech'ed the new forks at the same time--they say the VTR suffers from "harsh" damping...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

0289.jpg

A very mild "frankenviffer" option is to fit forks from a VTR1000F (aka "Super Hawk" in USA). It is a fairly simple bolt-on solution that allows you to use Fireblade calipers and gives you some degree of adjustability. My web page showing the measurements can be found here.

I did the conversion around nine years ago (:rolleyes:), but I'm now converting my FP to some variation of SP1 upside-down forks...eventually! HTH.

Ciao,

I did a simular swap on a 5th gen + RC51 calipers. Check out my gallery.

MD

Archived