Suggestions On In Helmet Stereo Speakers W Mic (wired)

netizen

I've been looking for a set of in helmet speakers with a mic that I can use to listen to my mp3's and also use for cell phone and FRS/CB radio. I would prefer to have a standard 3mm connector, the type that plugs into most mp3 players. I can use a 2mm adapter for the cell phone.

I have looked at the bluetooth headsets and actually have one that works in-helmet, but the problem is battery life only lasts about 4 to 6 hours and I normally ride 12 to 17 hours per day. I currently have a set of stereo helmet speakers tha work well....all I lack is the mic. I just can't seem to find a stereo speaker set I can insert into my helmet that also has a mic that will work with a 3mm jack.

Thanks

If you didn't want a mic I would tell you to do what I did and it works

great. By taking a pair of elcheepo radio shack headphone 7bucks,

take em apart, cut a small slit in the earmuff part of your lid and

slide them in. Then take the wire and route it around the back of

the lid and out the left side. Works great but like I said doesn't

help much with no mic.

Try J&M, great people and great products. :thumbsup:

The problem with J&M is that they can be really expensive and you're not going to be able to get a headset with a standard 2.5 or 3.5mm hook up like Netizen wants. It'll be either an 5-pin or 8-pin connection that plugs into an audio system. J&M does sell a bluetooth headset, but I have no idea what the battery life is like.

With that said, I love my J&M headset. :thumbsup: Sound quality is absolutely awesome, especially at 70 mph with all that wind noise. I have J&M's Integratr IV, so I have hook ups for CB (or FRS), auxillary audio (MP3 player, CD player, whatever), cell phone, etc.

Netizen, here are some other headsets that might work for you that have a 3.5mm jack:

http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=249

http://www.csonline.net/crawford/Helmet_Headsets/Default.htm

• Member Contributer
I've been looking for a set of in helmet speakers with a mic that I can use to listen to my mp3's and also use for cell phone and FRS/CB radio. I would prefer to have a standard 3mm connector, the type that plugs into most mp3 players. I can use a 2mm adapter for the cell phone.

I have looked at the bluetooth headsets and actually have one that works in-helmet, but the problem is battery life only lasts about 4 to 6 hours and I normally ride 12 to 17 hours per day. I currently have a set of stereo helmet speakers tha work well....all I lack is the mic. I just can't seem to find a stereo speaker set I can insert into my helmet that also has a mic that will work with a 3mm jack.

Thanks

I have a starcom system that works ok but $$$. They now have a mic/speaker set up for the Zumo (no starcom unit necessary) that runs $75, I think that may do just what you are asking for. The mic and speakers will have separate plugs though.

• Member Contributer

MotoComm I use their stuff and it is good quality and very reasonably priced. I also really love their customer service. The first setup I bought was for my Midland GXT-500 radios, apparently Midland changed the design of the PTT system late in the model run causing the headset not to work right. Vendor I bought them from wanted to charge a 15% restock as is was not their issue. I called Motocomm and they had me ship the radio connectors back and sent me the one for my Cobra radios at NO CHARGE not even the shipping cost to me.

Only problem I have is my XL Shoei X-11 is very snug but comfortable. Even though it has room in the foam for the speakers they exert a lot of pressure on my ears. After an hour or two I get a headache, so currently I am modifying the rig to use my earphones instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this setup?

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=CB-X

You can jack in an mp3 player, cell phone, etc, but it doesn't have to be bolted to the bike.

It looks good, but I have no idea what the sound quality's like. I'd like to get an opinion from someone who's used it before I buy, tho. I tried the headset that Nolan markets for their flip top lids, but the sound quality was horrible.

• Member Contributer

I purchased the Autocomm deluxe kit a couple years ago, anticipating being able to communicate with fellow riders' who also had it. Until then, i've primarily been using it for music though.

The sound quality to me is poor. Very "tinny" sounding, all treble which can hurt your ears over time. At the moment i just have a KBC helmet with space for the headphones, but with Autocomm's double sided tape, one or both will always seem to come loose depending on temperature. The mic always seems to fall into the wrong spot too. Some of this might be because of the limitations of my helmet though. Ive given up on the cell phone end of things, as the headphones for the phone are barely loud enough to hear unless below 40mph. Music can be hard to hear at above those speeds too, depending on wind strength.

Like i said, my gripes may only be from a result of the limits/windnoise/design of my cheaper helmet, so I really shouldnt blame autocomm just yet. I will be helmet shopping this winter though...then we'll see.

If your riding 12 to 17 hours in a day, do yourself a favor and get some custom molded stereo plugs. They act as 30 dB ear plugs to block out the wind and pipe the sound right into your ear canal. Being custom molded to your ear they are very comfortable and have great sound. You could wire up an Autocom mic if you need it (I think someone else on the board did that). I wear mine all of the time. The problem with most speakers is you turn them up and try to cover up wind noise with more noise. That makes the speakers sound like crap and damages your hearing in the process. These are definately the way to go.

http://www.174.bigearinc.com/index.cfm?fa=...s&prod_id=6

Oh, there are adapters to use them with Autocom, Goldwings, etc. as well if you have one of those systems.

• Member Contributer

The problem with J&M is that they can be really expensive and you're not going to be able to get a headset with a standard 2.5 or 3.5mm hook up like Netizen wants. It'll be either an 5-pin or 8-pin connection that plugs into an audio system. J&M does sell a bluetooth headset, but I have no idea what the battery life is like.

Not sure of the specifics but cycle gadgets does have an adapter to go from multi pin to 3.5mm if you decide to go that route. And like Synaptic Misfire I've used the Motocomm headsets and have been pretty happy with them.

• Member Contributer

Not sure of the specifics but cycle gadgets does have an adapter to go from multi pin to 3.5mm if you decide to go that route. And like Synaptic Misfire I've used the Motocomm headsets and have been pretty happy with them.

You can use the Intercom 5 pin headsets (Wing standard) ............just use adapters. I use an Airrider setup with 3.5mm adapter. I pretty much use this on all VFR trips now. Plugs right into the Zumo fine.

I would probably buy an Edset rig now if I did it again but....................They have a great rep for sound!

2898668460099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived