5th Gen Fork Swap. Advice Please?

Bren

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

have been a bit of a lurker for a while now, I am truly amazed by some of the knowledge on this site. Yes I know you've heard it all before, gush gush gush, but some of the projects from people like Toro and Veefer and many others have inspired me to try some of these mods out myself. I used to look at the English site but its nowhere near as interesting or informative as here.

First on my wish list is the front end fork swap, several have done this mod with forks from R1's to SP1's and GSXR's. I would like to do the Sp1 swop.

I have searched the site extensively and found loads of useful stuff. But questions.

Ok I know I need the sp1 lower triple( sp2 doesnt work), 929 top yoke( upper triple to you lads) sp1 forks, brakes.

Do I need the sp1 wheel and fender also or will the vfr combo work?

How can I tell the difference between the sp1 triple and the sp2 triple?

Have found a set advertised but they claim its suitable for both the sp1 and sp2! Its also in German, I live in Austria now and am still learning the language and guess what, its a lot more difficult to learn than it looks. :P

May take a while to get all the bits together, as and when money allows, but I'm determined to do this. You lads sure get cheap parts over there. $50 for a 929 shock? If I can find one second hand to begin with I'll be lucky!

Any and all help and advice gratefully received.

Regards

Bren

• Member Contributer

So an update for all, or anyone, interested.

The triples and forks were indeed from an SP2. As they aren't the route I wish to go I've left them alone. Why he advertised them as for both I don't know???

Well its back to trawling ebay and waiting for the right bits to come up, eventually.

God I hate being patient!!

Thanks for all the help and hopefully I'll be able to be back on the Mods pages soon, begging for help when I've broken something or it doesn't fit.

Bren

• Member Contributer

So I have NEWS!! B)

I received my SP1 forks, triple and axle with R&G sliders(free) the other day. So nice and gold!!

Got them for a good price on the old favourite. Also bought, but am still waiting for, a carbon front fender.

Have been sourcing brakes and the CBR600RR are indeed the same as Sp1. However DO NOT buy them!!!!! Advertised as 600rr they cost a lot more than the 954 or F4i even though they are the same. Its all in the name you know.

SP1 front wheel is going to be a little more difficult. I was bidding on one from Canada but then the guy said he would not accept Paypal from overseas bidders. He was doing this to protect himself from previous experiences he had. Fair enough, BUT then the only way I can pay is with international bank transfer, and this costs quite a bit. So no wheel for now, they dont come up that often so may have to use the vfr front wheel. Tok-Tokkie did this I believe but I cant really find any info.

So PHOTOS, I know its not real without them but I havent a clue how to get them up. Have tried copying and pasting and using another website as a host but no luck. If anyone can tell me how, idiot proof instructions only though please, and I'll put them up in all their golden glory. Did I mention they're GOLD!!!

One of the seals is leaking so I will need to change that, will actually do both seals while I'm waiting for bits. Anyone know how to change the seals on an USD fork? New ground for me.

I suppose when you're not in a hurry to get these things you can wait till you get them for the right price. ie Cheap!

Well nice to see stuff start to come in and probably next winter will do the change-over. Cant wait :beer:

Well done Bren! Where did you get your CF front guard from? My guard has developed a crack in 1 lower tab, and on top near the brake line carrier sad.gif

As to photos its pretty easy, the key thing is you cant post a link on this forum to photos that aren't on this forum. So click on "My Controls" up the top of the page, add your album, add your photos, then in your post use the "Gallery Post tool" which is another link when making a new post, then you just click once on the photo you want (it will show your Gallery automagically) and Viloa!

• Member Contributer
SP1 front wheel is going to be a little more difficult.

So no wheel for now, they dont come up that often so may have to use the vfr front wheel. Tok-Tokkie did this I believe but I cant really find any info.

I have...ummm...three of them :beer: and rotors wink.gif

Archived