Avon Storm St's

Guest ElementalG20

• Member Contributer
Wow, a strong opinion against the Z6's. Now my concern is how similar are the Z6 and Diablo Strada.......perhaps they should both be avoided? Well, being there are still choices left(BT021's and the Avon Storms perhaps I should stick with one of those two? Seems as if the Storm barring any QC issues is a tire I'd really like, good mileage and grip/performance. Suppose I'll read around a lil' more about the BT021's and go from there.

Well, well, more experience here....I have 021's on my '06 VFR right now and they grip great in the curves. The Avon's are on my 1999 Viffer. My rear 021 has worn out rather fast but the bike spent some time in the Gap area before the LAWS shut the area down. They were cornered as hard as I'm reasonably capable and the dual compound does stick like glue. The front seems to be wearing faster than any other I've had on my bikes but that too could have been the Gap area trip. I don't really think so though.

These tires handle and turn in very well for me but wear life isn't so good which is nothing new to me.

You bet I have strong feelings about Z6's. Go through a few slides with them and you'll form a strong opinion. Same with PRoads. Maybe these tires have their place but it's NOT for sporty or twistie riding at all. Just another opinion.... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

The Avon Storm is a great tire. Awesome grip, nice turn in, great wear. Mine balanced with ease, and have had no quality issues whatsoever. My first impression when riding on them is that they reminded me of pilot powers. FWIW

The VFR 800 VETC was chosen becorse it easyly was modified to get enough ground clarens for track rideing and powerful.

Modifications that was made: rear preload adjusted to 3mm sag, fork legs dropped in triples (mm?).

Tire info and comments (selected):

1. Michelin PilotRoad2 2TC, 284p. Test tires made in Spain, front 4806, rear 5206. Tire whit great grip and wear resistans. In wet the grip is in a level of its own, for example 10 kmh (6mph) faster corner speed that Bridgestone BT021 in one of the testtrack corners! Not as stable in corners leaning down much, othervise a great tire. Made the VFR feel like a racer.

2. Metzeler Roadtec Z6, 280p. Test tires made in Germany, front 0907, rear 0607. Roadtec Z6 is litel behind in wet grip (to Michelin), but has great neutral handling and ridability and is a good tire. Rear wers good, front fast.

3. Pirelli Diablo Strada, 279p. Test tires made in Germany, front 0807, rear 5006. Near the top in every part of the test and has great wear, Good stability 2 up rideing, great Sport tourin tire.

4. Bridgestone Battlax BT021, 266p. Test tires made in Japan. front 5206, rear 3406. A tire whit easy manuveability and stability in coreners, make the VFR feel more like a racer. Grip is good in dry but not as good in the wet, and usually front loose grip first in the wet- not good. Rear wears quit fast, front wears good and even, nothing like the old BT020. The team had hope better wear and wet grip for a new tire, but otherwise a good sport tuorin tire.

5. Continental Road Attac, 260p. Test tires made in Germany, front 5306, rear 5006. Good stability and good grip whit great feedback gives good lap times. The rear tire wear fast, and unstable 2 up. Still a good chose if you can change the rear often.

6. Dunlop Sportmax D 220 ST, 242p. Test tires made in France, front 5106, rear 4406. For singel sport tuoring this tire works good if you dont hurry to much in the wet. Unstable 2 up and wants the most to stand up in corners under brakeing. Wear is not too good. Its dated and a new replasement is alredy under construction.

7. Avon Storm-ST AV55/AV56, 218p. Test tires made in England, front 4106, rear 4606. Avon is stil a bit behind the other even if the new Storm has bring the gab closte the the others. Problems are ustability 2 up and stability and steering presission in corners rideing hard. It also weras fast for a sport tuorin tire. Dry grip is good as feedback. Wet grip is not as good as the rest but it give great feedback and you can easyly use all grip there is. Its a safe chose, not a bad tire. The other manufacters just have pushed the lewel a bit higher.

I'm sorry, I know this thread is about the Storm, but I felt the need to add some pics of my Azaros. Since they're pretty much the same compound, I wanted to let you guys know that even at the very edge, these tires keep their grip!

Rear:

tirescrubbing003.jpg

tirescrubbing002.jpg

tirescrubbing001.jpg

tirescrubbing004.jpg

tirescrubbing008.jpg

Front:

tirescrubbing006.jpg

tirescrubbing007.jpg

:thumbsup:

Did a California to New York City and back run with a buddy. We were both running Storm ST's. Mostly highway miles, but they stuck great in the occasional twisties and handled the summer rains more confident then any other rain tire I've tried.

The rear on my buddy's bmw had to get replaced after the trip, (had around 7,800 miles on it). But the set on my bike still has plenty of life.

I highly recommend them.

• Member Contributer

I can vouch for what Seb said and pictures. They aren't the best tire for turning in but far from the worst. I feel very confident with them on my 1999 whiney bike.

Archived