Extension Cord For A Battery Tender

dukeracr

• Member Contributer

The instructions on my Yuasa battery tender has recommended minimum AWG size for extension cords. I have a feeling the printed instructions may be wrong. They say as follows:

Length of cord(feet) 25 - 18 AWG, 50 - 18 AWG, 100 - 18 AWG. (no change in AWG despite the increased length)

I live in a condo and have no outlet within 50 feet of my bike. What would you guys recommend as the best AWG for a 50ft extension cord.

Rich A

Its a drop in Voltage over a long distance that happens here. If you are less then 100ft I would not worry about a voltage drop. Any cord you get that is that long will be a large enough gauge to get the job done.

• Forum CEO

1.5 amps is very little draw but the extension is still 110 volts so you want to be on the safe side. use 18 g or better like the instructions say. 16 gauge would be better - shoot am tired I cant rember smaller gauge is beefer right? Sombody must know I cant seem to remember at the moment

• Member Contributer

Trust me on this one guys, the wire gauge in this case is simply in-sig-ni-fi-cant.

Let's take a 1.5 amps battery tender (which is pretty beefy for a battery tender anyway). On the AC side it will draw... let's say 1 amp in the worst case scenario. The resistance of a 50ft extension cord made of AWG20 copper wire (which is thinner than AWG18) is exactly 1 ohm, which makes a voltage drop of 1 (one) volt.

Archived