Adapter To Fit 929 Shock To 5th Gen Vfr

Guest superchode

Guest superchode

so... the rear shock on my VFR is pretty much blown out... i still ride it, with the preload all jacked up... but it's loose back there.

i have '929 shock to put on... but since i ride the bike to work every day and have been working on a new garage - i haven't done the work to get the new shock adapted to the bike.

i'm heading to the east coast in a couple weeks and i really should pu the new shock on before i leave.

so... if anyone has the ability to fab one of these up for a member... please hook me up... i'll give you a fair price, plus shipping - of course.

yeah, but the original bolt needs to be ground off first to free the bracket... and more grinding/tack welding is required to set it all up for the new shock...

i need to get to work every day... i can't take the bike apart unless i've got the replacement bits in-hand.

yeah, but the original bolt needs to be ground off first to free the bracket... and more grinding/tack welding is required to set it all up for the new shock...

i need to get to work every day... i can't take the bike apart unless i've got the replacement bits in-hand.

Check with Jamie at doughertymotorsports.com He rebuilt mine with the adaptor and it fit flawlessly and works well.

Did you get the 929 linkage with the shock? If so, the ends of the dogbone are the correct length for the spacer. I used one side (after cutting off the rest) and added a washer for a bit more ride height. Worked like a champ...

you don't have to grind off the bolt to get the bracket loose; just use a hammer. I put the bracket on my anvil and gave the bolt a couple healthy swats with a large ball-pein hammer. Broke the spot welds easily.

• 1 month later...
Guest VFRJohn

FWIW - For a quick fix (temporary), I used a stack of 3/8" fender washers from Lowes.

Make the stack 1.5 inches high (about 25 washers).

Grind off the edge of 4 of them to clear the lip on the underside of the frame crosspiece where the top mount bolt goes thru. I suggest supergluing the stack of washers together to make it easier to handle them when installing the shock.

Knock out the bolt from the bracket (per Rev, above - there are three small spot welds under the head). I ground mine down - wish I'd known.

Use a 10mm x 110 mm bolt (or, I used a 3/8" x 4 1/4 inch bolt). Grind the bolt head down to clear the shock eye when it is mounted in the bracket.

Secure the new bolt to the bracket somehow, so you will be able to tighten the locking nut. I used super glue - believe it or not, it worked!

Notes of Interest:

Remove the rear wheel, obviously. The manual doesn't say to, but you have to.

On my 2000, due to interference with the cat converter, the original shock wouldn't come out, and the 929 shock wouldn't go in with the top bracket tightened on the shock. I had to loosen the bolt slightly, so the bracket could pivot. Then I re-tightened after the shock was in place.

There was interference between the 929 shock's reservoir and the underside of the battery box. I don't think the upper part of the shock moves much, so I am hoping it won't wear thru the plastic too soon! If you increase the height of the spacer (i.e., stack of washers) to increase ride height, it will decrease the interference.

John

I just did my 929RR shock conversion last night and all went ok. The only real hassle I had was getting the lower brackets in. I tighten up two of the bolts and then tried to get in the third bolt which happened to be the one in the swingarm. After fooling with it for awhile I decided to loosen the other two up and the third went in easier.

As far as the parts required I used a 10mm by 110mm bolt as well with a hex head that I ground down to fit. I then use a stack of "parts" to build the spacer. I did find that when I put the new shock in I had to turn and position it correctly to get the reservoir to fit into the space.

Now all that is left is to set the SAG and then the other settings for the shock. Anyone have the specifics about the other settings on a 929 shock?

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
Not really a hard thing to make, just get the proper length you need for the spacer and get a bolt that much longer than stock and your about done!

shockspacermod002.jpg

What is the proper length spacer? I have an extra OEM bracket that I will remove the existong bolt & have the 10mmx 110mm bolt w/ shaved head welded into the breaket. I need to know what length spacer is needed. I may leave it a bit short & use some shims to make it adjustable either way. Is the 929 shock 1 1/2" shorter than the OEM shock? Is so I will make my spacer 2 washers short of that so that I can adjust it from -2 washers to +2 or 3 or 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Good question Mechdziner. I have also just modified a top shock bracket.

Can anyone confirm the exact spacer length??

It has been quoted elseware here as 37-38mm. also 1 7/16"

Anyone know the exact length for standard ride height.

Thanks.

The 1999 VFR shock is 325mm and the 929 is 286, so 39mm.

You can easily measure them when you have them side by side.

Center to center of the shock eyes and Bob's you uncle! :thumbsup:

Thanks veefer.

I will machine up a spacer this week.

Any advice on how to adjust this shock?

The 1999 VFR shock is 325mm and the 929 is 286, so 39mm.

You can easily measure them when you have them side by side.

Center to center of the shock eyes and Bob's you uncle! :thumbsup:

Thanks veefer.

I will machine up a spacer this week.

Any advice on how to adjust this shock?

You could start with the 929 baseline settings and work from there.

Check this link and find the 929:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_street...ndex.html#honda

• Member Contributer

I've modified 929 shocks to fit '98 VFR800's before. I can't seem to find the pictures right now but I'll keep looking. What I've done is to make a machined extension for the lower clevis instead. The people who I have done this for have all reported excellent results. The cost for the modifications to the 929 shock is $175. No other modifications are required, the modified shock is a simple bolt-on replacement for the original. If anyone is interested let me know.

After playing with the 929 shock today it appears to also fit with the resevoir facing forward of the shock centreline.

I see viffers photos show it behind the shock centreline.

The only downside i can see is the adjusters are facing the right hand side.

Apart from that it looks ok.

Am i missing somthing or will it work the way i have installed it????

ignore previous post, just me thinking aloud.

shock does infact fit with resevoir facing rear. just that it flexes the plastic shield in front of the battery slightly upwards,but no great problem.

The bike definitely feels better with this shock, as stated here previously, better feeback from the road surface and also gives me a lot more cornering confidence.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm in the process of doing the conversion - getting the old bolt out of the mounting bracket required a bunch of grinding for me. I tried to knock it out with a 16oz hammer with no luck. Small sledge, no luck. Angle grinder, good to go. Bent the bracket a bit from knocking it around, too. :unsure: I guess the robot that put together my shock bracket was feeling industrious that day tongue.gif

I'll snap some pics and post them a little later.

• 1 month later...

One thing that I would like to add about this conversion: the spacer either (1) needs to be tacked to the bracket ( with a notch for the frame to keep it from turning) or (2) another type of spacer needs to be fabbed up. The stock bracket indexes into the notch of the frame where it bolts to. If the spacer is not fixed to the bracket, then when preload is changed the shock (in my instance) wants to spin with the spanner. One gent here made a spacer welded to the bracket and I assume that it doesn't spin just by it being tightened down. Another bracket was fabbed by someone that could be used for this app. for the VFR800 (this was done on a VFR750): http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1048983324035753786FKPQXZ I thought that the aluminum being used (suspension linkage cut and modified--obviously from the donor bike) would not be strong enough for this app. but there shouldn't be any side loads (covered by the swingarm mount) just lateral fixation of the shock. I would, however, put a spacer on the upper shock mount bolt that you can see in the pic. Any comments on this? My 2 bits.

Archived